Dish's hd bandwidth issue

How so navy former CEO of dish told all resellers they should be selling bolth prior to the Price gouge and its far from the resellers fault that customers dont like to see the fees jump 20-60%

3HaloODST said:
I think that the main bandwidth problem that Dish is having would be on WA with all the MPEG2 QPSK channels. They don't seem to be feeling rushed though to take care of that problem by getting rid of all the MPEG2-only equipment. The shift to 8PSK will afford a little more room but not near as much as the switch to MPEG4 would. Looks to me like the MPEG2 equipment is in it for quite a while longer. They only seem concerned at the moment with removing the QPSK-only equipment. I suppose it's all a balance between replacement costs, and subscriber demand. Obviously not everybody on Dish cares about full-time RSNs.

Actually I believe I've seen posts here that say they may gain more, cost wise, from 8 PSK than 4. And there clearly IS a plan: As Hopper is adopted 8PSK and MPEG4 boxes are freed up for WA to move at acceptable costs to greater capacity Dish moves toward increasing WA to EA.

Tampa8 said:
I'll agree with Claude this much, even though it's beating a dead horse - If watching your team in HD is one of the most important things then you do need to get Direct TV. Some markets like Boston are virtually always in HD on Dish, others not. But as Brad1138 points out there is a price or two to pay for that, though as a new customer perhaps not right away.

But also having no New York/Buffalo RSNs, no Philly RSNs, and SD only in Baltimore/Washington DC makes it much easier for Boston to have full time HD. Us and Pittsburgh are the only Northeast markets on Dish in HD. I'm not complaining. I got to watch my favorite team in all sports play no offense and let a very hungry DC team beat them in stunning HD on NESN. Congrats Caps fans by the way, your team played harder and earned it. I also got to watch early round playoff action by the same means last year which fared much better for the B's.

dishfan82 said:
The other day I noticed that the tigers game that came on in the evening was only available in sd and not in hd. I called dish and asked why? I was told I needed to pay 9 bucks more to get the hd feed. Then I asked a rep and they said dish still doesn't have enough bandwidth to play sports on hd full time . Anyone know when this will change?? I'm hoping soon

As satjay said, the game he is talking about was a rained out game being made up the next night as a double header after a day game against the rangers. It was never even updated in the guide and neither feed of the game was carried on directv's EI.

I have either watched live or recorded every Tigers game this season so far and that is the only one that wasn't in HD. Hell, I can't remember this being a problem since they expanded the amount of HD games they show sometime around last July.

FS Detroit is probably my most watched channel so I want full time HD as much as anyone. Games in HD aren't a problem anymore though. Even all the Tigers games on FS Detroit+ during the Pistons or Redwings playoff games were in HD.

Last edited:
Even in Boston there has been an occasional resheduled game not shown in HD. Although its been a couple of years it does happen. As long as the RSN's are part time HD then I suppose this may happen.
On another note doesn't the 6 hours a week of MLB Strike zone use band width? Personally I'm not impressed but that's just me.....

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Yeah it was a double header game for the tigers. That was only the one game I noticed. I won't switch back to directv because I had a terrible experience with them plus I like the hopper more.

Actually I believe I've seen posts here that say they may gain more, cost wise, from 8 PSK than 4. And there clearly IS a plan: As Hopper is adopted 8PSK and MPEG4 boxes are freed up for WA to move at acceptable costs to greater capacity Dish moves toward increasing WA to EA.

Sure, cost-wise 8PSK is an easier goal at the moment. I'm saying that on the technical side of things, the shift to MPEG 4 will be more significant than the shift to 8PSK. The shift to 8PSK is just a good start. Yes there is a plan, however at the rate that they have been getting rid of QPSK-only receivers, I believe it is safe to say that Dish won't be benefiting from full-MPEG4 on the WA for at least another 2 years.

I think you're right, I'm not sure how many people will tolerate having to swap receivers all the time, since Dish is swapping a lot of the receivers out with receivers that are already obsolete...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts