Dish's Subscription Milestone- How about Your Contribution?

I too was a E* early sub in April 96 with a HTS2000 receiver with uhf remote that I still have and use today. I upgraded to a Dish500 once AT150 first came out and soon after that I added a 2700 receiver that I also still use. I had to drop E* in 2003 due to un-employmant and have been ota only since then but hope to re-activate in 2-4 weeks with AT120 and Supers. Latter I hope to upgrade to a SupperDish for my locals and replace my old 2000 with a DVR522 if I can qualify for it on the new current and returning customer promotions coming soon.

Switched from D* when the 4700 came out. I wanted the Dolby D output. Then upgraded (wasted money) to get the 4900 for the interactive TV. Got a 501 receiver free for referring 5 friends, now that was a cool promo.

Now its hard to buy a PVR or a DVR as a gift for someone. Hard to give gifts with additional service contracts behind it. A PVR in every home? Their britches were trying to expand to quick there. If E* was making money selling 508s they should have continued that model.

Any way I have 405 1/2, 811 that works 50% of the time and the 501 I'm nursing along. :cool:

I've been a E* subscriber since 1999, original setup was 2 7100's, before PTV (what's now known as DVR's) had come out, although there were rumours of it).

I went through the addition of PTV, SHVIA additions, and lots of 7x00 pain. I then changed over to 2 501's and took the 7100's out of service. I recently added a 721
that I love.

I'm waiting, with baited breath, for Name-Based recording which is one thing I miss from the 7x00.

I've been an E* sub since fall of '97. Started with 2 4000's. Added Dish 500 when I moved to a new house in June of 2001. Replaced 1 of the 4000's with a 721 in Sept.
of 2002. When my locals were offered in May of 2003 added the 61.5 dish. Replaced the last 4000 with a 6000 in Dec 2003. Only hardware problems I have had is one of my 4000's went out when one of my cats coughed up a hairball on top of it, when I got my 6000 the 8psk module wouldn't work, and in April this year one of the tuners went out in my 721. Dish had replacements to me in a couple of days each time. Only had a few missed recordings early with my 721. I can't remember the last time it rebooted on it's own (I keep it on 24/7). I don't feel I have had the problems other people talk about on the boards. I have never had D* and the crap I went through with cable has probably made me (as GaryPen would put it) an E* hugger. :D

June 2000. I first got their Digital Dynamite plan which got me a 4900 and a 2700 plus a Dish 500 install with an SW64 switch. I also bought an extra 4900 for my son's room. Six months later, I bought a Dishplayer, moved the 4900 to my bedroom, and stuck the 2700 on the shelf. About six months after THAT, I bought another Dishplayer when they discontinued them (I think it was April 2001). I also had the second satellite added at 61.5 so I could get TV5, more locals, and hey... it was free. Moved the Dishplayer to my son's room and gave the 4900 that I owner to my sister. November of 2002 I bought the 721, moved the Dishplayer to my bedroom. June of 2003 I sent back the two leased receivers and switched to a "normal" status to get me off the Digital Dynamite/DHP status when it looked like they were going to start excluding lease customers from certain deals. Also my price protection had expired. November of 2003 I get a free 510, free extra SW64 and all splitters needed plus installation as my SW64 was maxed out. I have him install the 510 in my bedroom and move the other Dishplayer to my daughter's room. January of 2004, Richard King finds me a 921. I give the 721 to my father who revels in being able to watch The Sopranos while Alias is recording at the same time.

It's weird..... for the first time there is NO new receiver I am lusting after from E*. We'll see how long this lasts........

We've been with DishNetwork since 1999. My
husband chose them because of ads in one
of his libertarian e-zines. Seemed like a good
way to get around the local AWFUL cable
monopoly.

Setup:
Dish 500, Sats 119 & 110
Twin LNBF
Only one receiver hooked up, our original 3900.
Have had absolutely no problems. I can recall
one time in 5 years during a super-heavy rainstorm,
we lost signal. The electricity went out anyway.

I even worked as a Dish Network Customer
Service REp on the phones in a Call Center
for awhile. 98% of the customers who
called with complaints or problems were
very reasonable, and either I or my
supervisor could work to a resolution of
the problem.
There seem to be many nice people who
are Dish Network customers!

We are happy with the service.

gfr437

I was with Dish from the fall of 1996 (Model 2000 - the original Dish receiver) until last fall (2003), when I bailed for D*. I used to be a "Charlie Champion" but finally gave up.

Reason for switch: Too long in coming out with the 522 (which I couldn't have gotten anyway, right?) and non-support for my new locals on my legacy 5000 and 7200 dishplayer sent me over to D* and two DirecTivos.

When my one year is up with D* I'll take a look at E* again... if their DVRs have become enough Tivo-like to win me back I may add myself back to the E* fold, but it will be tough: I can upgrade the disk(s) in my DirecTivo DVRs to my heart's content (what I liked also about my old Dishplayer 7200) and I have my DirecTivo hacked to permit access via the Internet - no more calling the wife at home from work asking her to wade thru the DVR screens to setup a recording.

We moved into our current home in May of 1994. The previous owners had cable, so I signed up for it, and they p!ssed me off immediately. I gave them three strikes, and there installer came and scratched one of the cabinets my father-in-law had made for us. So, when DBS came out, I was ready to jump. I almost went with DirecTV, but after playing with my Dad's RCA that I installed at his northern vacation home, I was less than thrilled. Those first-gen RCA DSS units were s-l-o-w.

I read about Echostar and there plans, and a little after Dish went live, I went to a "local" dealer and checked out DishNetwork. However, the original price was a little too high. Dish dropped the price of the 2000 to $499(!) and I signed up in July of 1996 and have been a happy Disher ever since. I replaced the 2000 with the JVC HM-DSR100 D-VHS unit in 1998 and added a 6000 in 2000.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)