Creating Season Passes

PVRGuyII

Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
How does one go about creating a "season" pass like on TIVO? Or is this impossible with DISH?

Season Pass on Tivo utilizes name-based recording. The Dishplayers cannot do that, yet. The closest approximations are what are called 'Timers'. You can create a timer to record the same time/channel daily, weekly, M-F, or once.

You can set them when you select a future item from the electronic program guide.

Good luck!

You can also use the 'search' function. It's really handy!
Push Search (I believe it's the # key on the remote) and type what you want. You can search by title and info. On the 522, we get more than a week's worth of guide info, so if a show you like comes on irregular times, you can use search to find them, then hit record.

...And keep on the lookout for this fall when Dish impliments NBR, which will basically give us 'season pass' ability.

Bizzach said:
You can also use the 'search' function. It's really handy!
Push Search (I believe it's the # key on the remote) and type what you want. You can search by title and info. On the 522, we get more than a week's worth of guide info, so if a show you like comes on irregular times, you can use search to find them, then hit record.

...And keep on the lookout for this fall when Dish impliments NBR, which will basically give us 'season pass' ability.
A real pain in the A** on my D*TiVo I set a season pass for "Star Trek" and it records daily. On my DVR I search for the program then go through a weeks listings and select "CREATE" then because SPIKE changes their programming I end up with "HIGHLANDER" instead of "STAR TREK". What a poor imitation of a DVR this product is. :(

Don't ask me how this happened but last week and this past Tuesday my daily recording of I,Max on foxsports didn't record when the show was preempted for baseball. Was that just two flukes or are they fixing the name based problem?

I hope they add the NBR feature soon. i would hate to miss the season premier of enterprise because I forgot to set up a recording....

boba said:
What a poor imitation of a DVR this product is. :(
I tend to think of a Tivo in a different league - even a Dish DVR (with integrated guide) is superior to a VCR.

typerk said:
Don't ask me how this happened but last week and this past Tuesday my daily recording of I,Max on foxsports didn't record when the show was preempted for baseball. Was that just two flukes or are they fixing the name based problem?
No Dish DVRs do any "name-based" recording right now - when you press "RECORD" it stores the start time, stop time and channel number from the guide. If the channel doesn't have what you want at that moment you are out of luck.

Even a Tivo is only as good as the guide data that is fed to it - they too sometimes miss recordings or record the wrong thing, but it's a greatly reduced occurance compared to an ordinary DVR or VCR.

NBR is due late summer/fall, based on what we know. There was a demo/mock-up of it at Summit here in Dallas (see Scott's wonderful posts from Summit).

Hopefully, it'll actually work.

(As I sit here after my 721 did a triple reboot on its own, for reasons unknown).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts