DishTV 311 error - what causes it/how to prevent?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

moonbeam

Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Indiana
Hi, all! I've recently came across the 311 error when turning on my DishTV receiver, three times now. Completely out of the blue, I recall no signs of issues until it just randomly came up one night when turning everything on to watch TV. If I unplug for 10 seconds, it works fine until the next time the error comes up. Nothing is lost or anything.

I understand from research that this means I need to call in and have it replaced. (Right?) My question is - I've only been a Dish user for 7 months, so I'm wondering.. what things can cause this issue, and how can I prevent it from happening with the new equipment?

The receiver sits between a blu-ray player and a stereo receiver (rarely used), but there's a little space between all three electronics. About 2-4 inches. Nothing is in front or behind or on top. Is this not enough air flow? It's always felt pretty hot to the touch to me, ever since the first day we've had it.

One problem I'm really worried about is that a cat has decided the Dish receiver makes a great place to lay. Not cool. Obviously we immediately run her off.. when we're home and awake. We can't stop her when we're asleep or not home. Is it possible it's all her fault?

Basically I feel like this was way too soon to have it crap out, and if it's a fault on my end (not enough air flow, and/or the cat) I need to know so I'm not asking for yet another replacement in a few months. (and losing our shows!)

Thanks for reading, I appreciate any help!

Hi, all! I've recently came across the 311 error when turning on my DishTV receiver, three times now. Completely out of the blue, I recall no signs of issues until it just randomly came up one night when turning everything on to watch TV. If I unplug for 10 seconds, it works fine until the next time the error comes up. Nothing is lost or anything.

I understand from research that this means I need to call in and have it replaced. (Right?) My question is - I've only been a Dish user for 7 months, so I'm wondering.. what things can cause this issue, and how can I prevent it from happening with the new equipment?

The receiver sits between a blu-ray player and a stereo receiver (rarely used), but there's a little space between all three electronics. About 2-4 inches. Nothing is in front or behind or on top. Is this not enough air flow? It's always felt pretty hot to the touch to me, ever since the first day we've had it.

One problem I'm really worried about is that a cat has decided the Dish receiver makes a great place to lay. Not cool. Obviously we immediately run her off.. when we're home and awake. We can't stop her when we're asleep or not home. Is it possible it's all her fault?

Basically I feel like this was way too soon to have it crap out, and if it's a fault on my end (not enough air flow, and/or the cat) I need to know so I'm not asking for yet another replacement in a few months. (and losing our shows!)

Thanks for reading, I appreciate any help!

There are a few reasons things that may cause the 311 error. I agree that a receiver should not have an issue after 7 months, but it is possible that an internal error has occurred. For the quickest resolution, I would call our Customer Service at 1-800-333-3474 and talk with a Tech service representative.

You may have a refurbished receiver. If it's not a Hopper 3, you probably do.

Cats: take some 2"-3" wide blue tape, about 4" or so long. Make a loop, sticky side out. Dust off the receiver top. Place a few of these loops up there. Cats hate it and will learn to stay away. Take the tape away after a month. You may have to repeat the process again, but probably less and less often until the cats just give up the idea.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thank you both for answering! :)

You may have a refurbished receiver. If it's not a Hopper 3, you probably do.

Cats: take some 2"-3" wide blue tape, about 4" or so long. Make a loop, sticky side out. Dust off the receiver top. Place a few of these loops up there. Cats hate it and will learn to stay away. Take the tape away after a month. You may have to repeat the process again, but probably less and less often until the cats just give up the idea.

I'm pretty sure it's not a Hopper 3 so that's very interesting to know. I was once told that because my remote says "40.0" on the back I don't have Hopper 3 - possibly because I was not under the right tier, or something. Sorry for the shoddy memory, but that conversation was some months ago. :)

And also.. I think that cat prevention thing will work like a charm! I may have thought of it eventually, but.. maybe not. Thanks so much!!

Reactions: navychop
Cooling is on the sides of the Hoppers. Put the DVD player on top of the Hopper leaving more space on the sides. Hoppers should be on the bottom of any stacking to avoid heat from below.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)