Disk replacement in an iMac

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dont24

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 20, 2004
MA
Anyone ever tackle replacing the hard drive themselves? My 2007 24" iMac's disk may be on it's way out. Been looking at info to replace myself. Not sure if I should try or pay to get it replaced. ~$150 plus the cost of the drive.

Last edited:
I checked around and found a local authorized Apple shop that'll do the work for $50, plus the cost of the HDD. I'm not going to attempt myself for
that kind of money.

YouTube has videos showing how to do that.
The first thing I did when I purchased my MacBook Pro, I upgraded its RAM to 8 GB and replaced the hard drive. Wasn't too difficult at all. Just have the Mac OS installation disk ready and do a full backup of your old disk before you proceed.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

i did this myself as well without any issues.put in a much larger HD & upgraded the ram as well while i was at it.also i put in the latest iOS that was still compatible since it was an older system. you'll be able to do it.

I had my very first Apple failure yesterday. And it was the hard drive in my 27" iMac (1st Gen) a little over 2 years running flawlessly. I had noticed a bit of flakiness last week and didn't give it much thought. But it started doing it more often. Pulled up Disk Utility and it showed a SMART error with the message to save files and replace drive.

I did a SuperDisk clone to my external Firewire 800 drive, ran for a day off of that with no issues. Took it to the certified Apple service guys nearby and they will have it ready on Monday they think. I have Applecare so no charge for the service.

After over 10 years with Apple, this is the first computer of theirs that has given me any problem whatsoever.

For those that need this kind of service, if you have a cloned backup, then you can save the service center and yourself some time by telling them they don't need to put on an OS other than enough to do testing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)