Disney / ESPN Back Up!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
To those of you who signed up to YTTV and say the picture is better than Dish, I'm wondering what kind of internet speed you are running.
If you have over 50 down the picture will be great, less then that then you will have some issues, specially if someone else is doing something on the internet also.

Considering that 85% of the population have broadband now, most will be fine.

I am part of the 15% that don't have the high speed internet
I am supposed to be getting 50 down, but seldom do I ever see that according to the speed test
most of the time, I am around 25-30 range

Reactions: charlesrshell
I am supposed to be getting 50 down, but seldom do I ever see that according to the speed test
Even at your general speeds, unless you have alot streaming, I do not think you would have much of an issue.

Before I got my massive speed upgrade, I had 24mbps att internet, and I could stream YTTV reliably. Sometimes it would "ramp up" through the resolutions, but once it did, It rarely if ever dropped.

From Scotts link:

ServiceMinimum Recommended Speeds
Netflix5Mbps (HD)
25Mbps (4K)
Hulu3Mbps (SD)
16Mbps (4K)
Hulu Live TV8Mbps
YouTube TV3Mbps (SD)
7Mbps (HD—single device)
13Mbps (HD—multiple devices)
Sling TV5Mbps (single device)
25Mbps (multiple devices)
AT&T TV8Mbps (single device)
24Mbps (multiple devices)
Disney+5Mbps (HD)
25Mbps (4K)

Either that connection is being mismanaged by a low quality router, or you suffer from issues other then speed like latency or packet loss. My summer home has lousy 6mbps DSL service, which can manage two concurrent 720p youtube streams or two SlingTV streams in HD (bitrate limited to 2.5mbps to each). While I had to use pretty high end equipment and a lot of fine tuning on a pfSense router, on 25mbps that should be unnecessary.

Still going to evaluate what I got against YT tv...I have a feeling I'll save nearly half off if I switch.
Main issue is they got it back great, but at what cost...how much will the Dish bill go up in Feb.. $5/$8/$10..... you can bet at least the first one which seems to be every year now.
Since 2001 a price increase or Fee increase has happened just about every year. Which all attributes to the churn each year. That and streaming is now the way most will get their tv programs. In 2010 receiver fees went up and were reclassified by class of receivers with new dvr fees like $17.00 for a 722k. :eek The only other year I have seen with no increase was in 2012. So as long as you stay you will have to pay the increases.:wink

So I’ve been on pause for about 8 months now. When I lost the ability to watch Giants games that became a huge dealbreaker for me. I put up with it last season but before this season started I began looking for other options.

I did a trial of DTV stream first which was going to be around 95.00 a month and their “DVR” is janky at best. I asked it to save Giants games and what ended up happening is it was saving ALL MLB games and I had to weed through a single listing to find the game I wanted. I also experienced what I would describe as potato quality on a few occasions. Cancelling was also a chore. Can’t do it online and I got hung up on multiple times when calling in. Never made it out of the trial.

I signed up for YTTV after that and I’ve been happy with it. Quality has been good and the DVR features are decent. Watching away from home is much better because my internet is 80/5 and the dish anywhere app would kill my upload at home.

I did lose a few channels mainly A&E and Vice but at well less than half the price (160 vs 65) I’ll likely end up cancelling dish. Which is a shame because of the big three I think the Dish Hardware is the best. If I could still watch Giants games I likely would have put up with the annual price increases. After 13 years with Dish I think it’s time to move on. These carriage disputes are getting to be too much for the monthly cost.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I did lose a few channels mainly A&E and Vice but at well less than half the price (160 vs 65) I’ll likely end up cancelling dish. Which is a shame because of the big three I think the Dish Hardware is the best. If I could still watch Giants games I likely would have put up with the annual price increases. After 13 years with Dish I think it’s time to move on. These carriage disputes are getting to be too much for the monthly cost.

I’m about to pull the plug on Dish as well for YTTV and I’ve been concerned about losing those same 2 channels. But I found another streaming service called FRNDLY that has those channels as well as many others for $6.99 a month. I really don’t want 2 different streaming services but I would still be cheaper than what I’m paying now with Dish.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Either that connection is being mismanaged by a low quality router, or you suffer from issues other then speed like latency or packet loss. My summer home has lousy 6mbps DSL service, which can manage two concurrent 720p youtube streams or two SlingTV streams in HD (bitrate limited to 2.5mbps to each). While I had to use pretty high end equipment and a lot of fine tuning on a pfSense router, on 25mbps that should be unnecessary.
I would not disagree because I have no clue about that
I get my service via the local phone company (Windstream)
They supply all of the router/modem combo which is wifi capable
They keep saying that fiber optic is headed our way, but I will have to see it to believe it

I’m about to pull the plug on Dish as well for YTTV and I’ve been concerned about losing those same 2 channels. But I found another streaming service called FRNDLY that has those channels as well as many others for $6.99 a month. I really don’t want 2 different streaming services but I would still be cheaper than what I’m paying now with Dish.
Ah that was the other streaming service that has Vice. I remember finding that service once before in a search but it's not listed on the Vice website and when it tried to search for it, it wasn't coming up.

So I’ve been on pause for about 8 months now. ......After 13 years with Dish I think it’s time to move on. These carriage disputes are getting to be too much for the monthly cost.
I'm in the middle of my Pause time with Dish and just signed up for Hulu Live TV to try that for $49.99/month for 3 months. The deal also includes Disney+ and ESPN+ so there's a lot of added value there to check out. Downside is no AMC but we can always add that for a month when we want to catch up on something there.

For me, it's not the carriage disputes but the cost. I like the DISH hardware but it's not the be all and end all for me. I lost my local RSNs years ago but have found an alternative way to watch MSG which will get easier once they launch their own streaming direct to consumer app.