Disney Halts 'The Lone Ranger' With Johnny Depp And Gore Verbinski -- Now Back On?

That's because Jay Silverheels reached out of his grave and put a chokehold on Disney.... Johnny Depp as Tonto indeed! ;)

Yep. But it sounds like a bad idea all around. Blazing Saddles it ain't.

It ws a disaster last time it was tried. But i think it could be done properly.

‘The Lone Ranger’ With Werewolves Expected to Start Production Early 2012

Disney has gotten to this point after a painful overhaul of the movie by producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Gore Verbinski to bring to $215 million a budget the studio feared could reach $250 or more. Verbinski’s struggle has been to reach that number while retaining enough of the spectacle that made them say yes in the first place.

Disney Eyes Early 2012 Start For ‘Lone Ranger’; Announcement Expected Next Week – Deadline.com

‘The Lone Ranger’ With Werewolves Expected to Start Production Early 2012 | Screen Rant

Jerry Bruckheimer Productions' movies generally do well. Not always, but he has more hits than misses. I will be the first to say that Box Office $$$$ does not always == good movie.

Cheers,

Remember Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's? And that was just a small part. Disney seems to want Johnny Depp to play a drunken lunatic in all their movies -- remember when Johnny Depp used to act different parts? -- which seems like a political-correctness avalanche waiting to happen.
We all know during the radio and black & white TV era it was OK to stereotype Indians and have them played by white guys - but this would be like doing a movie in black face if done today. I don't jump on the political correctness bandwagon usually, but this is pushing it. Give me a good actor with native roots like Darren Burrows or Adam Beach and make it about friendship not an attempt at cheesy caricature.

Remember Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's? And that was just a small part. Disney seems to want Johnny Depp to play a drunken lunatic in all their movies -- remember when Johnny Depp used to act different parts? -- which seems like a political-correctness avalanche waiting to happen.
We all know during the radio and black & white TV era it was OK to stereotype Indians and have them played by white guys - but this would be like doing a movie in black face if done today. I don't jump on the political correctness bandwagon usually, but this is pushing it. Give me a good actor with native roots like Darren Burrows or Adam Beach and make it about friendship not an attempt at cheesy caricature.
Generally I agree. But did you see Robert Downey Jr. doing blackface in Tropic Thunder? It was a riot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts