Disney Plus +

That's a lot of people who love Marvel and Star Wars movies.;)
Disney and Comcast ( Universal) are two examples of doing things right when they purchase other companies, AT&T is the perfect example of doing things wrong.

Last edited:
Did not want to start a new thread-

Up 7.9 million.

Disney reported that total Disney+ subscriptions rose to 137.7 million during the fiscal second quarter, higher than the 135 million analysts had forecast, according to StreetAccount.

Looks like the demise of streaming that some predicted because of Netflix losing 200,000 is not happening.

Streaming is not going away. That is the future. I think in time most TV including OTA will be streaming.

I think this fall we'll see them begin selling Disney+ only as a bundle with Hulu, and vice versa. They'll remain two separate apps (for awhile) but new subs will only be able to get them together. "Disney+ Hulu" with ads on both for $9.99 or both ad-free for $15.99. Upgrade to the full Disney Bundle including ESPN+ for an additional $4 on top of either ($13.99 or $19.99).

For existing subs who continue their current standalone ad-free Disney+ subscription, the price will jump from $7.99 to $9.99. They won't have the option of taking it with ads unless they switch to the new "Disney+ Hulu" combo package. Meanwhile, existing standalone Hulu subs won't see any price changes to their $6.99 plan with ads or $12.99 ad-free plan. But cancel your standalone Hulu or Disney+ plan and you won't be able to get it back. Only options for new/returning subs going forward will be Disney+ Hulu or the full Disney Bundle.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell

I think this fall we'll see them begin selling Disney+ only as a bundle with Hulu, and vice versa. They'll remain two separate apps (for awhile) but new subs will only be able to get them together. "Disney+ Hulu" with ads on both for $9.99 or both ad-free for $15.99. Upgrade to the full Disney Bundle including ESPN+ for an additional $4 on top of either ($13.99 or $19.99).

For existing subs who continue their current standalone ad-free Disney+ subscription, the price will jump from $7.99 to $9.99. They won't have the option of taking it with ads unless they switch to the new "Disney+ Hulu" combo package. Meanwhile, existing standalone Hulu subs won't see any price changes to their $6.99 plan with ads or $12.99 ad-free plan. But cancel your standalone Hulu or Disney+ plan and you won't be able to get it back. Only options for new/returning subs going forward will be Disney+ Hulu or the full Disney Bundle.
Come Nov when my 3 year sub comes up for renewal I plan on dropping it as they have not released the "Vault" as they promised. Very little old Classic stuff. They really push the new releases which as fine, but I paid the $140 to get more material from The Vault. Before Disney+ started TCM ran Classic Disney stuff a couple times a year. Now that is gone. Disney has never even released most of their Vault on DVD, So unless that Vault material gets released, I will be dropping it. I will monitor the app to see if or when the old material is released, if ever. I would rather see the old material in the original form than not have it at all. Disney+ has been a disappointment.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Come Nov when my 3 year sub comes up for renewal I plan on dropping it as they have not released the "Vault" as they promised. Very little old Classic stuff. They really push the new releases which as fine, but I paid the $140 to get more material from The Vault. Before Disney+ started TCM ran Classic Disney stuff a couple times a year. Now that is gone. Disney has never even released most of their Vault on DVD, So unless that Vault material gets released, I will be dropping it. I will monitor the app to see if or when the old material is released, if ever. I would rather see the old material in the original form than not have it at all. Disney+ has been a disappointment.
I do think the forthcoming price changes with Disney+, as well as the launch of an ad-supported version, are being timed to coincide with the expiration of all those pre-launch 3-year subscriptions they sold. They launched on Nov. 12, 2019.

I suspect we're going to see them introduce, or at least pre-announce/tease, a bunch of new Disney+ content this fall to incentivize those launch subscribers, such as yourself, to stick around after your 3-year-promo-subscription ends on Nov. 12. Wouldn't surprise me if at least some additional content from the Disney Vault finds its way into Disney+ at that time. Obviously, it costs them nothing to make it available. You have to think that part of the reason they've been holding that stuff back is to further increase demand for it so that they can then please consumers by making a big announcement about adding it to Disney+ at just the right time -- like when they also announce a price increase.

Reactions: ncted
Did not want to start a new thread-

Up 7.9 million.

Disney reported that total Disney+ subscriptions rose to 137.7 million during the fiscal second quarter, higher than the 135 million analysts had forecast, according to StreetAccount.

Looks like the demise of streaming that some predicted because of Netflix losing 200,000 is not happening.

The reporting on Netflix has been terrible. Netflix's loss was mostly due to losing 700k Russian subs because of war. I actually wonder if they are playing up the losses to get all the pain over with at once and use it as an excuse to do things they've been secretly wanting to do for a while now like ads and cut down on password sharing.

Still, I think their growth will stall. They need to learn how to run their company more efficiently, from both content strategy and technology perspectives.

I do think the forthcoming price changes with Disney+, as well as the launch of an ad-supported version, are being timed to coincide with the expiration of all those pre-launch 3-year subscriptions they sold. They launched on Nov. 12, 2019.

I suspect we're going to see them introduce, or at least pre-announce/tease, a bunch of new Disney+ content this fall to incentivize those launch subscribers, such as yourself, to stick around after your 3-year-promo-subscription ends on Nov. 12. Wouldn't surprise me if at least some additional content from the Disney Vault finds its way into Disney+ at that time. Obviously, it costs them nothing to make it available. You have to think that part of the reason they've been holding that stuff back is to further increase demand for it so that they can then please consumers by making a big announcement about adding it to Disney+ at just the right time -- like when they also announce a price increase.
I will gladly pay an increase "if" I get material from the vault. So many programs from Disneyland & The Wonderful World of Color I would love to see.

Since I was a fan of Doug, a slice-of-life cartoon about a pre-teen boy in elementary school created by Jim Jinkins when I was a young tween/pre-teen boy, I used to watch it from time to time in the early-mid 1990s on the cable TV channel Nickelodeon during its first three seasons.

When the animation studio that created Doug, Jumbo Pictures, was purchased by The Walt Disney Company in 1995 at the same time they purchased Capital Cities/ABC, Inc. (the company that owned ABC), the show relaunched as part of ABC's Saturday Morning lineup as Brand Spanking New Doug.

It later aired as one of the many inaugural programs on Disney's One Saturday Morning on ABC as Disney's Doug in 1997. The show lasted for four seasons at The Walt Disney Company, later being reran on Disney's One Too on UPN, with Doug's 1st Movie acting as the show's conclusion in 1999.

I was thrilled when Doug was provided in both sets of seasons (totaling 7 seasons) plus the theatrical Disney film across two different streaming services, that I paid $20 total for CBS All-Access (now Paramount+) for the Nickelodeon Doug seasons and for Disney+ for the ABC Disney's Doug seasons and Doug's 1st Movie, so that I could binge on the entire series all the way to the theatrical film which brought the series to a conclusion, just to watch the story of Doug Funnie, a kid from the city of Bluffington, unfold from the beginning to the very end...

A cartoon like Doug has one of those quirks where half of the rights are owned by Nickelodeon/Paramount, while the other half is owned by The Walt Disney Company...

The reporting on Netflix has been terrible. Netflix's loss was mostly due to losing 700k Russian subs because of war. I actually wonder if they are playing up the losses to get all the pain over with at once and use it as an excuse to do things they've been secretly wanting to do for a while now like ads and cut down on password sharing.

Still, I think their growth will stall. They need to learn how to run their company more efficiently, from both content strategy and technology perspectives.
IMO, the main headline coming out of Netflix's Q1 call wasn't the modest sub loss which can be completely chalked up to the unanticipated situation in Russia but rather their prediction that they'll lose 2 million global subs in Q2. Which is a quarter when their biggest series ever, Stranger Things, returns for a new season. Yikes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)