Disney sues Dish again

Want to hear my funny one about getting sued by Disney?

Back in '87 I was invited by Disney to teach an underwater Research Diver class at Living Seas. Went there with my class for a week. Also had some Disney employees in my class. As a souvenir I documented the class on video and edited together a 30 minute documentary which I made copies and gave (free) to each of the students, including the Disney employees who participated and also made a copy for Disney corporate for their records. No copies were ever distributed beyond the closed group and no money was charged. I had a release from everyone in the class as well as the General manager of the Living Seas. About 2 months later my attorney and registered agent gets a call ( He was also in the class ) from Disney legal. They were planning to sue me for distributing copyrighted content without their permission to the public. We called the young sounding lawyer at Disney and I asked him what copyrights did I violate? He said I photographed Disney's fish without their permission. I told him to go do some legal homework and find out if you can copyright a living animal. I said, if you think that is legal, then sue me and I hung up on him. My attorney at the other end said I was David and Disney was Goliath. I said yes and we all know how that story turned out. We never heard from them again. LOL!

Another interesting development. Apparently Starz is suing Dish as well over the Starz free for 1 year giveaway. I guess Charlie/DISH never actually got permission from Starz to give it away for 1 year and Starz wants DISH to end the giveaway immediately. 2nd UPDATE: Disney, Starz Sue Dish, Seek Injunction Over Dish's Free Starz Programming Offer - WSJ.com

EDIT: Here's a better article: Disney and Starz sue Dish Network over Starz giveaway | Company Town | Los Angeles Times

EDIT #2: I know I'm just throwing articles out here, but I think this one explains things a bit more clearly: http://www.multichannel.com/article...r_Year_Long_Free_Access_To_Starz_Channels.php

Last edited:
They better not do something dumb and pull Starz before Torchwood starts.

If they do, I'll just download it. As a bonus, I won't be taking up DVR space, and as an additional bonus, I'll have an unencrypted copy.

Kind of sounds like Dish is pulling a fast one here -- again. But without more details and contract language, we'll have to let the lawyers figure it out. I assumed Charlie was paying for all the Starz as a gift.

I don't get the impression that Charlie was pulling a fast one. I think he was paying Stars for the proper count of viewers. The problem is more that by giving it to everyone it was diluting the value of the Starz product in other places such as Netflix. Disney probably has the same concern of diluting the worth of their movies which are shown on Starz. Although, I suspect Disney has other motives and may be using this as leverage in their other suits with DISH.

ckhalil18 said:
Another interesting development. Apparently Starz is suing Dish as well over the Starz free for 1 year giveaway. I guess Charlie/DISH never actually got permission from Starz to give it away for 1 year and Starz wants DISH to end the giveaway immediately. 2nd UPDATE: Disney, Starz Sue Dish, Seek Injunction Over Dish's Free Starz Programming Offer - WSJ.com

EDIT: Here's a better article: Disney and Starz sue Dish Network over Starz giveaway | Company Town | Los Angeles Times

EDIT #2: I know I'm just throwing articles out here, but I think this one explains things a bit more clearly: http://www.multichannel.com/article/467728-Starz_Disney_Sue_Dish_Over_Year_Long_Free_Access_To_Starz_Channels.php

Well that does really change things. Interesting indeed.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Holy crap...when does it ever end.Settle one and get slammed with a new one.Glad I got HD platinum instead of Starz.

What I don't get is, assuming he is still paying them as a premium, why would they care? Without knowing the rates I'm assuming a premium channel such as Starz gets at least half of that $15 / month that E* would normally charge their customers and I'm also assuming that if they gave it to 14+ million people they would be paying for that many subscribers, no? To me that sounds like a win-win except that Disney is pissed at Starz for the offer?

Things are really going to get interesting, especially since E* now owns Blockbuster and they also had separate deals with Disney and BHV.

Also, if they were in breach of contract, what's to stop them from doing what they did with the other Disney HD channels and just removing the feed?

Those news articles, at least Starz comment's in them, make it sound like Dish is taking what I presume is the "free preview" option that Starz and other channels apparently offer in their contracts, and is stretching it out for a year. That is, the channels seemingly allow some reasonable number of days (?) of free preview at no charge to the provider (Dish, DirecTV, cableco, etc). Are they suggesting Dish is still just paying for the previous number of subscribers who opted for Starz vs ALL subscribers who Dish is "giving" it to ?

Well, this upsets me. I thought Dish and Starz were on good terms....apparently not now with all this Disney mess....ugh....

I dont think dish would cheat stars out of its money and would think that since the giveaway was for existing customers to share in the 30years of dish. Ala cart Starz is $12.99 or $10 with more then 2 premium movie/Playboy chan.

On the other hand this is classic cheap Charly's baby and if he found a hole in the contract for FREE sure hes is going to use it to his advantage.

The Tivo Issue is mute as it was payed for long be for the setlement with a 110% fee increase. Think of it as every home has 3tv's one dual and one single not counting the extra $3dvr its not a dvr fee. $7 X 14Mil =98Mil X 12months =$$1,176,000,000

I just read part of the complaint from Disney vs Dish.

All I can say is **** Disney, there is absolutely nothing wrong if Dish wants to pay the licensing fee and provide Starz Free to it's customers.

What's next Hugh Heffner suing Dish because Dish is devaluing adult programming by giving it away for free?

There is no devaluation of anything here, it's like a drug. Get people get used to watching it and watch the subscriber numbers go up when the promotion is over and Starz is turned off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)