Disney to spin off ESPN?

SMH. I'm not talking internet delivery of 4k. I'm talking baseband transmission.
I guess you don't understand that neither satellite provider has ANY live channels in 1080p..That would be a good place to start before you worry about 4k (1080p movies are downloaded to a hard drive before viewing them)

Reactions: jamesjimcie
I guess you don't understand that neither satellite provider has ANY live channels in 1080p..That would be a good place to start before you worry about 4k (1080p movies are downloaded to a hard drive before viewing them)
Wow. Are we reading the same thread? THAT'S THE FREAKIN' POINT! dare2be said until bandwidth issues are resolved, 4k will be a fad. You brought up "Net neutrality" for some reason that still isn't clear. Now you're bringing up 1080p? Why? What point are you trying to make?

Wow. Are we reading the same thread? THAT'S THE FREAKIN' POINT! dare2be said until bandwidth issues are resolved, 4k will be a fad. You brought up "Net neutrality" for some reason that still isn't clear. Now you're bringing up 1080p? Why? What point are you trying to make?
Obviously the only way to do 4k or 1080p is without satellite..Charlie has been buying up wireless spectrum for that very reason..wireless IS the bandwidth solution per Charlie and att ..satellite has peaked and is on a downward spiral..per Charlie anyway..

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

Obviously the only way to do 4k or 1080p is without satellite..Charlie has been buying up wireless spectrum for that very reason..wireless IS the bandwidth solution per Charlie and att ..satellite has peaked and is on a downward spiral..per Charlie anyway..

Well, if you've been keeping up with technology, you'd know 4k OTA broadcasts have been tested in the US utilizing ATSC 3.0. If they're able to squeeze a 4k signal into a 6mhz OTA slot, it doesn't seem much of a stretch to say they'll figure out a way to distribute via satellite. Saying the ONLY way to "do" 4k is without satellite is being very short sighted.

If they're able to squeeze a 4k signal into a 6mhz OTA slot
And again, my point is enough of the squeezing already. Fix the existing HD compression problems before even attempting to tackle 4K. That includes OTA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tampa8
Well, if you've been keeping up with technology, you'd know 4k OTA broadcasts have been tested in the US utilizing ATSC 3.0. If they're able to squeeze a 4k signal into a 6mhz OTA slot, it doesn't seem much of a stretch to say they'll figure out a way to distribute via satellite. Saying the ONLY way to "do" 4k is without satellite is being very short sighted.
The fact they haven't done 1080p (1/2 of 4k) should be eye opening..no doubt there will be something called 4k on satellite with endless debate whether it's real or not....peace and happiness

The Dare2be point seems like the central issue. There is virtually no full HD live TV available, anywhere. Remember when we first saw full HD in the stores with demo loops, how fantastic it looked? What we ended up with (not just Satellite) is a watered down version. It's still far better than SD was, but honestly every once in awhile particularly OTA I see a 480I broadcast and have to look harder to see that isn't HD.
Well we are at that same point so far with 4K. The demo's look great, even from Youtube. Maybe not rock my world better but you can see a difference. But I am not seeing that in everyday shows from Netflix or Amazon etc. I'm not seeing anything approaching far better PQ - though HDR does enhance and can make a more dramatic picture, sometimes.
I vary from the idea 4K is a fad, I think it will become the standard along with HDR, but what good is it if we don't actually see much of a difference. I think full 1080P should have been the goal to get into everyone's home. When you take into account how close you must sit to even see the improvement 1080P brings over 720 for instance, benefits of 4K and how much closer still you must sit make me convinced most people will not or may never see benefits of 4K anyway. Now add if it's not full 4K like it isn't full HD and what's the point? (Point is to sell more TV's and make people upgrade other equipment)

I have to agree with Tampa8. I would much rather see a real 1080p image broadcast with a higher bitrate than have a 4K image with a much lower bitrate. As was stated, the 4K image has 4 times the number of pixels to transmit. To transmit that many pixels, the bitrate will have to be lower because there is only so much bandwidth available for broadcast. Blu-ray disks routinely hit bitrates of 35mbps. A real 1080p video broadcast with that bitrate will look much better than a 4K image with a much lower bitrate. You will never see 4K videos broadcast with 35mbps bitrates unless there is a major breakthrough in compression or technology.

Resolution is not the most important factor in image quality.

I have to agree with Tampa8. I would much rather see a real 1080p image broadcast with a higher bitrate than have a 4K image with a much lower bitrate. As was stated, the 4K image has 4 times the number of pixels to transmit. To transmit that many pixels, the bitrate will have to be lower because there is only so much bandwidth available for broadcast. Blu-ray disks routinely hit bitrates of 35mbps. A real 1080p video broadcast with that bitrate will look much better than a 4K image with a much lower bitrate. You will never see 4K videos broadcast with 35mbps bitrates unless there is a major breakthrough in compression or technology.
The breakthrough will happen. Much like how when HD was coming in the late 90s, early turn of the century, the idea of a DVR having enough space to record it was laughable. Same problem today. Recording 4K would require a substantial amount of HD space. Our technology for transmission and recording isn't there yet. It will, but not for a bit.

Until then, 4K is stuck to disc and streaming (and even streaming options needed for 4K aren't available to a lot of people) and Theaters / Stadiums. Just give us actual HD, of course, that doesn't help sell TVs. Though, good processing will probably help make honest 1080p into better upconverted 2160p

Recording is one thing (hard drive space/technology is still growing rapidly)...transmission bandwidth and compression algorithms are more near their limits, comparatively.

I get most of my network shows from the channel websites, so the compression/transmission is not as much of an issue for me.

ESPN's challenge comes down to this. In the soon becoming bygone era "everybody" had "cable" (please don't knitpick, not literally "everybody" and here "cable" can mean dishes as well). A cable bill is really just a pass through to the channels (of course, yes, the cable company makes a profit just like any business). Everybody got, and paid for, ESPN.

And ESPN, likewise, is really just a pass through to the leagues, and thus the players and coaches.

Now, or very soon, people will be able to receive TV elsewise. And simply put, there are a lot of people who simply do not like sports, either at all or not that much. So these people are not willing to pay. And to maintain the current levels, the amount that the people who do like sports would need to pay is not realistic ($40 or $50/month).

So ESPN is stuck with all of these long term deals with leagues, which are becoming toxic to Disney as a corporation. The most toxic being not the NFL one, but its recent MASSIVE over-bid for the NBA. And ESPN is also stuck with all of these daytime talking heads who are paid just WAY too much money. And with 5 layers of empty suit executives as well.

Spinning off a division with toxic assets as a stand alone company is an old Wall Street trick. Will it happen? Maybe. But what will happen is that the amount of dollars passing through cable to ESPN (et al) and on to billionaire athletes is about to get much smaller.

If you listen very closely, you will hear the world's smallest violin playing. My heart just breaks for these people.

ESPN paid way too much for the NBA, paid way too much (more than any other channel) for crappy Monday Night Football games, and also overpaid for most other big time pro and college sports. They overpaid because they thought they could just continually pass the costs onto cable/sat companies and ultimately subscribers. And as you said, the chickens are coming home to roost.

Overpaying a bunch of blowhards to fill the time between games doesn't help. And it's funny that ESPN responds by laying off a bunch of low-level employees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)