Disney XD HD

PHXHoward

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
PHX
I hope that we can see Disney XD in HD before the second season of Star Wars Rebels starts in the Fall. It takes a week for the episodes to be posted in HD on demand, too long. Also with Droid Tales showing now, it would be a great time for the channel to go HD.

Get a Roku, Disney XD is HD on it, both live and on demand, log in with your Dish ID and start watching, also Star Wars Rebels episodes were on it a week early last season.

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
Not to continue to beat this dead horse, but I also would like to see Disney XD added in HD (and for the same reason...huge Star Wars fan). I was under the impression that when the Disney deal was finalized, it gave Dish the green light to add all of the Disney channels to their HD lineup. I believe it was posted here (not sure if speculation, or inside knowledge) that once Dish had the space for more HD channels, thy would also add XD and Junior. Is this no longer the plan? (or was it ever the plan?)

I do something similar - I have the Disney XD app and I chromecast it from my iPhone to the TV. HD quality looks great.

Reactions: Tampa8
I'm finding it to be more and more likely I would stream in that way when the situation calls for it. You can get an excellent picture. I have both Chromecast and The Fire TV Stick and find the Stick even easier to use for this purpose. And it works in hotels where Chromecast rarely will without additional hardware. Many times I stream from my Slingplayer on my Tablet (or phone) to the TV in that way also.

Not to continue to beat this dead horse, but I also would like to see Disney XD added in HD (and for the same reason...huge Star Wars fan). I was under the impression that when the Disney deal was finalized, it gave Dish the green light to add all of the Disney channels to their HD lineup. I believe it was posted here (not sure if speculation, or inside knowledge) that once Dish had the space for more HD channels, thy would also add XD and Junior. Is this no longer the plan? (or was it ever the plan?)

Is it just that Dish is out of room to add any HD channels or is it something else? If they gained the right to the HD versions after the deal was signed..........why not. The same with Smithsonian............if they can, why aren't they?

I am no expert, but from what I have read on the forums, it's that Western Arc is out of free space. Eastern Arc has room, but for Dish to add new channels, they have to be added on both Arcs. There is a small amount of space on Western Arc but I think that is for emergencies if there is a transponder failure. After the 8PSK conversion there would be more room on Western Arc where they could add more HD channels. New deals were signed over the past year, and I am sure Dish knows what their internal timeline is for converting Western Arc, so they might have put it in the contract that HD would be added at a future date, especially if the content provider would require payment for both a SD and HD version of the channel. There is no reason for Dish to pay the provider for an HD version if there is no room on the satellite to deliver it to consumers.

My guess and it is only a guess is that after more space is made on Western Arc the easiest thing to do would be to basically eliminate the "joined in progress" HD for live sporting events. The amount of JIP HD has greatly decreased over the years, but it is still there. Fixing JIP wouldn't require any changes in existing contracts, a JIP is strictly a Dish bandwidth issue as they already have the rights to the HD broadcast.

Funny you mention JIP. I have the MLB Extra Innings package and the number of channels defined/available for MLBEI was 15... has been all season. In the last few days, I think Sunday night/Monday am, this has changed and there are now 25 channels, all with HD available and no JIP in the menu. Tonight, between 8:30 and 9:00 pm CT, there are 18 games showing as available. 23 of the 25 channels are scheduled for broadcast tonight (both team's broadcasts for a given game, obviously, in some cases). Would seem to imply (at least to a novice like me) that at least 3 additional HD channels have come available, and who knows, maybe 10. Then again...

What I think they did with Extra Innings is they are giving both home and away broadcasts more. I don't have Extra Innings, but the free preview at the beginning of the year only had a couple of games where you could choose the home or away broadcast - in the free preview now it looks like they have added almost all of them where you can choose home or away. And if all the games started and ended within the timeframes Dish has allocated the bandwidth for, then there are no issues.

I haven't seen many JIP listed to begin with, which is good. But the part that I still read about on the forums is if games run late. For example, let's say there is a Phillies/Marlins game that starts in mid-afternoon, and a Giants/Rockies game that is in the evening. Since Dish doesn't have the bandwidth available for all games to be given their own designated bandwidth, the bandwidth would be shared between these two games. Most times this is fine as the east coast game would be done before the west coast game begins. But what if there is a rain delay in the Phillies/Marlins game, or the game goes to extra innings and the game is still being played when the Giants/Rockies is supposed to start. Dish can't show the Giants/Rockies in HD until the bandwidth from Phillies/Marlins is freed up. That is where I think Dish would have the bandwidth after this 8PSK conversion - the bandwidth to guarantee all these professional sporting games can be shown in HD.

Ditto prefer XD to be in HD because I can't stand Disney's ad insertion model with the most ads of any streaming channels I've ever viewed, and, of course, we can't skip them.

Also, the HD episodes of SWR is available via Dish VOD very soon (a day or two) after premiere and is downloaded to HDD, and I don't think the Dish VOD download for the second season premier had any commercials. Also, I've found that even if it states on screen that you can't skip commercials, I am able to do so on many VOD downloads. The easiest way to check for any new SWR episodes for download is to select a SEARCH for the show. You will get a list of air-times and "On Demand" including those in HD.

Hi!

With the exception of the first cranky guy, thanks for all the info provided in the other answers. :) Interesting about possible bandwidth issues in the west preventing them from adding new HD channels. I'd also like to see NASA TV in HD on Dish but at least I can stream it online. Let's hope that Dish works those things out soon. It does not hurt to keep the pressure on Dish for things that are important to us.

I've downloaded all of the Star Wars Rebels season 1 episodes in HD from on demand. It seems that they took about a week after broadcast to arrive in HD. Good tip about the Roku. Thanks.

By the way, the HD version of episode one of Star Wars Droid Tales is really good and is now on demand through Dish too.

Hi!

With the exception of the first cranky guy, thanks for all the info provided in the other answers. :) Interesting about possible bandwidth issues in the west preventing them from adding new HD channels. I'd also like to see NASA TV in HD on Dish but at least I can stream it online. Let's hope that Dish works those things out soon. It does not hurt to keep the pressure on Dish for things that are important to us.

I've downloaded all of the Star Wars Rebels season 1 episodes in HD from on demand. It seems that they took about a week after broadcast to arrive in HD. Good tip about the Roku. Thanks.

By the way, the HD version of episode one of Star Wars Droid Tales is really good and is now on demand through Dish too.
Thank you for the tip on SWDT. I had forgotten about that show.

Now that it looks like we have 24/7 RSN's, I will try and revive this dead horse. Anyone in the know (Scott) have any info on if there is any chance Disney XD will be added in HD?

Reactions: PinGorilla
Now that it looks like we have 24/7 RSN's, I will try and revive this dead horse. Anyone in the know (Scott) have any info on if there is any chance Disney XD will be added in HD?
also disney juniorhd we do not have full time rsns they are still parttime i hope we can see this change real soon.

Reactions: PinGorilla

Once again, Roku, live TV or On Demand, all in HD, all Disney Channels.

Just sign it with your Dish ID info.

While I would prefer XD in HD, since I have fast internet speed, I am fortunate to download the latest episodes from Dish on Demand in HD and watch it that way. I understand that this is not a realistic option to those with slow speeds or in rural areas.

While I would prefer XD in HD, since I have fast internet speed, I am fortunate to download the latest episodes from Dish on Demand in HD and watch it that way. I understand that this is not a realistic option to those with slow speeds or in rural areas.
With roku.u can watch the channel in hd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)