Dissappearing analog channels and my tube TV and VCR?

Teffy

Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
NW Indiana
My roommate and I currently have Comcast cable TV service and Comcast Internet service. He has a digital TV and uses the Motorola DCH3200 box (for decryption?) to watch it. I have an analog, tube TV that I use with two VCRs.

1. Please tell me what I need to record programs with my VCRs. I am particularly concerned about those channels (like 56 Comedy Central and 73 TCM) which will be moved from analog to digital.

2. What third party hardware can be used with my Comcast subscription and analog TV to record programs? For example, will TiVo or Moxi work? Would additional equipment or subscriptions from Comcast be required?

3. Should I also consider recording programs with PC-based software like SageTV, or does Comcast encryption prevent that?

4. Will I have to abandon my analog TV and break the bank for a digital TV?

Thank you for helping me into the 21st century! :eek:

Teffy

P.S. I emailed Comcast with these questions. But the response, while full of fake empathy, was not helpful.

My roommate and I currently have Comcast cable TV service and Comcast Internet service. He has a digital TV and uses the Motorola DCH3200 box (for decryption?) to watch it. I have an analog, tube TV that I use with two VCRs.

1. Please tell me what I need to record programs with my VCRs. I am particularly concerned about those channels (like 56 Comedy Central and 73 TCM) which will be moved from analog to digital.

2. What third party hardware can be used with my Comcast subscription and analog TV to record programs? For example, will TiVo or Moxi work? Would additional equipment or subscriptions from Comcast be required?

3. Should I also consider recording programs with PC-based software like SageTV, or does Comcast encryption prevent that?

4. Will I have to abandon my analog TV and break the bank for a digital TV?

Thank you for helping me into the 21st century! :eek:

Teffy

P.S. I emailed Comcast with these questions. But the response, while full of fake empathy, was not helpful.

Just get yourself a Comcast Digital STB and you can live on with your old tube tvs and even your vcrs if you choose.

BTW, it is even hard to sell tube analog tvs at garage sales now. I could have had 13inch, 15inch or 19 inch for, 10,15 or 20 dollars over the weekend, and right now have 19 inch with built in vcr in play in my garage and 13 inch I take on my deck to watch tv at times (btw it is hooked up to cable too).:D

actually, you can order a digital converter w/no monthly fee. Go to comcast.com/digitalnow to order. Each house can get two at no monthly fee. I have gotten two and set them up w/no problems. extra channels too. you can plug into vcr but i'm not sure if vcr remote will work like they use to when running cable through vcr. you might need to use the digital converter remote to change channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)