Dissed by Dish Network

wesburnsco86

Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
I recieved a flyer in the mail which was basically a telemarketing deal to get discounts if you get dish network.I didnt have the money at the moment for the initial fee so my friend let the telemarketing people charge it to her account.They in turn gave her credit card number to Dish billing section.
Later it was installed and I signed on to the lengthy contract.
I had dish for about 2 months ,didnt like the service and wasnt satisfied so I didnt pay.Unknown to me and/or my friend Dish got fussy so to speak because of non payment and the breach of contract,they cancelled my service,then took a little over $500.00 USD from the credit card without authorization from my friend.Chargeswere for equipment and cancellation fees.
My friend never even seen the contract and wasnt informed this could happen.
I have since mailed the equipment back which equals about 300 dollars of the money,they say 211 of it is non refundable cancellation fees.
Its being handled by the bank and possible attorney now.
My question is it leagal binding to hold my friend accountable for the mishaps and is it just a loss and futile to get back the 200 in cancellation fees from dish?Im sure its unfair but need to know if its legal.
Is it a waste of time to get back my friends money.??

Ask them for a copy of the signed contract.

IF they dont have it then they got a problem.

However most retailers do have contracts that does allow them to charge a customers credit card if they do not keep the service for a specified period of time.

I would like to hear the outcome of this. Although I think they are entitled to the money, this issue is billing the card without authorization. I was a good customer with maybe 6 months left on my 2 or 3 year (can't remember) contract. I cancelled because we got Verizon fiber optics and I couldn't refuse. They always sent me a bill and I had paid my bill electronically via the bank every month. After I cancelled, they sent me a bill for $18, I paid it. They never ask for anymore but then took $100 off my card without contacting me about it. I didn't even remember ever giving them the card, but it just pissed me off that they did that and I'll never do business with them again. I never did anything about it, figured I was wasting my time and I expected the fee anyway.

First of all Welcome to Satelliteguys. Second Scott is right.
I also would like to know the outcome of this, so please keep us informed.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US, the place to get answers to your questions about satellite service. However, I don't think you're going to like my answer...

You used your friend's credit card to sign up for Dish Network through some third party. I personally have Dish and enjoy their service. You evidently found something(s) you didn't like about it and stopped paying for it which put you in breach of contract. Was it Dish Network or the telemarketing firm that responded by invoking the penalty in the contract? They charged $500 against your friend's credit card that you provided. If you failed to inform her of the fact that she would be liable for early termination of the contract, I think that would be between you and her.

It may be a scummy deal that you signed, but no one held a gun to your head to sign up. I think you have a moral obligation to pay for your friend's CC charges.

Maybe It Was You And Not Dish

To me is sounds like you didn’t have the funds to pay for the service. You asked a friend to help you and then because you didn’t pay for the service you want to blame DISH!! At some point in your life you need to stand up and take responsibility for your actions Instead of hearing what the outcome is I would like to see what you actually paid. It would be my guess that you stuck your friend with everything and now u want to blame DISH. With all the new deals DISH offers new customers included prepay If you couldn’t afford that then you couldn’t afford the service!!! JMO but it sounds like you are problem not DISH! STAND UP AND TAKE RESPONSIBILTY STOP LIVING OFF OTHERS AND DONT BE A DEAD BEAT!!!!!!!

Last edited:
My question is it leagal binding to hold my friend accountable for the mishaps and is it just a loss and futile to get back the 200 in cancellation fees from dish?Im sure its unfair but need to know if its legal.
Is it a waste of time to get back my friends money.??

Save your money, don't get an attorney. You screwed up, not your friend. While there may be some sort of loophole in the contract you signed, it would cost you far more than $200 in legal fees to find out. Basically, you put your friend on the hook by providing her credit card number as security on the subscription agreement. Then, rather than canceling your service, you simply stopped paying. Early cancellation is one thing, delinquent payments, though, puts you in a much worse position.

And please, don't confuse unfair with stupid. This is your mess, you made it, now time for you to pay your friend the money you owe her. And, if she's lucky, you'll be the only one to come out of this with a black mark on your credit rating.
From reading your post, it sounds like you're a younger guy, probably early twenties, so like most people, you're bound to make some dumb mistakes, I certainly did. But in this case, it is time to admit that you don't have any legal or moral ground to stand on.

So, do the right thing, apologize to your friend, make arrangements to pay her the $211 as quickly as you can, then chalk up this experience to a lesson learned. Or, you can continue to deny responsibility for this, in which case I refer you to PlumFam4's response ;)

As you said in your post you signed the contract and used you friends CC. By signing the contract you gave the company permission to charge your CC (in this case your friends CC) when you breach the contract. You can ask for the copy of the contract but if you know you signed into a lenghtly contract then you knew there would be a fee for doing so. Be prepared to repay your friend.

Glad to see you here and hope you stick around even though you didn't like DISH.

Shawn

They charged the credit card because when that contract was signed, that gave authorization to do so if service is cancelled and also additional charges if equipment was not returned. You will not get your money back that was charged to the card and it will just cost you more money by getting an attorney.

You should do the right thing and pay your friend what you owe her for defaulting the contract through Dish. Writing ceo@dishnetwork.com will not resolve this particular issue.

Stargazer is correct. You basically disclosed your payment information to a third-party retailer for installation and service. DISH Network by proxy can obtain this information and with a signed contract or appropriate documents charge the card just as if they were said retailer. DISH will however NOT intervene in a dispute between a customer and a third party, regardless of the fact that DISH owns and operates the service, the business arrangement was between the customer and third party.

This is the same situation as when customers call DISH and ask them to dissolve contracts made with another party.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)