Distant locals on Dish

Jackonearth

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2018
San Francisco, California
Someone on here mentioned Dish offers nationwide distant locals (from LA I think) I couldn't find anything about it on the Dish website. Does anyone know what they charge and what if any restrictions apply?

Locals with RV antenna

But I am not sure that is correct and it would be for RV's. You may have also read one of the posts that DISH has the LA locals on a nationwide instead of spotbeam signal. Your address would need to be in that DMA to get them for a residence.
If DISH is offering DNS service to RV's I was not aware they started that again but the person who posted it is knowledgeable.

It is available as I recently talked to upper Dish management about it. Where to find it I personally don't know because I don't want it. I am fine with changing Service Address when I change spot beams for my Hopper 3.

According to the Dish management person, DNS is limited to RVs with Wallys. You can have Locals at your home base but the Wally is either Locals or DNS, not both. That is in line with the FCC regulations about getting the exemption for DNS. Your RV has to be registered every year, meaning a copy of the RV registration (or semi-truck) sent to Dish.

Perhaps the equipment requirement, a Wally, would make the DNS option available.

Reactions: Tampa8
It is available as I recently talked to upper Dish management about it. Where to find it I personally don't know because I don't want it. I am fine with changing Service Address when I change spot beams for my Hopper 3.

According to the Dish management person, DNS is limited to RVs with Wallys. You can have Locals at your home base but the Wally is either Locals or DNS, not both. That is in line with the FCC regulations about getting the exemption for DNS. Your RV has to be registered every year, meaning a copy of the RV registration (or semi-truck) sent to Dish.

Perhaps the equipment requirement, a Wally, would make the DNS option available.

Thanks for the info, that's breaking news (lol) at least for me. This is this first Resurrection of Distants I have heard of since they last dropped them even for RV's. They dropped needing any kind of proof and allowed you to call in how ever often to get the locals of where you were. I helped someone getting DISH service started for his RV and at that time that was what we were told, and what happened. To this day he calls in as needed to get locals. I will tell him if he wants the same channels all the time he can get Distants. (He has a Wally)

Reactions: ChadT41
Reactions: Tampa8
Distant Locals aside, if I just set my address to an LA address would I be able to receive LA locals nationwide or would they be restricted to the LA area because they're supposed to be just my local channels?

Distant Locals aside, if I just set my address to an LA address would I be able to receive LA locals nationwide or would they be restricted to the LA area because they're supposed to be just my local channels?

No you would get the spot beam signals not the national feed

If we are to believe the CSR there is no Distant Network service for RV's "At this time." "Just call us and tell us where you are."
:what2 :oldno

We switched our locals to Jacksonville, FL when we were in St. Mary's, GA, and then didn't change them again until we reached Jonestown, PA and couldn't get the 77 sat on EA through the trees and switched to the WA sats. While we still had the St Mary's address, we even watched the Jacksonville locals with DishAnywhere streaming from our upstate NY vacation cottage Hopper that's also using the EA sats. The Jacksonville DMA is CONUS beamed on 77 in HD, as are several other DMA's.

We switched our locals to Jacksonville, FL when we were in St. Mary's, GA, and then didn't change them again until we reached Jonestown, PA and couldn't get the 77 sat on EA through the trees and switched to the WA sats. While we still had the St Mary's address, we even watched the Jacksonville locals with DishAnywhere streaming from our upstate NY vacation cottage Hopper that's also using the EA sats. The Jacksonville DMA is CONUS beamed on 77 in HD, as are several other DMA's.
It'd be great to get a list of the locals that are broadcast nationwide on Dish.

My current list of CONUS beamed DMA's:

DMA Sat
  1. Bluefield, WV (HD) 77
  2. Cincinnati, OH (HD) 77
  3. Charlottesville, VA (HD) 77
  4. Chicago, IL (HD) 72.7
  5. Columbus, GA (HD) 77
  6. Davenport, IA (HD) 77
  7. Denver, CO (HD) 72.7
  8. Evansville, IN (HD) 77
  9. Ft Wayne, IN (HD) 61.5
  10. Jacksonville, FL (HD) 77
  11. Lexington, KY (HD) 77
  12. Lima, OH (HD) 77
  13. Little Rock, AR (HD) 77
  14. Los Angeles, CA 72.7
  15. Louisville, KY(HD) 77
  16. New York, NY (HD 72.7
  17. Paducah, KY(HD) 77
  18. Sacramento, CA (HD) 72.7
  19. Springfield, MO (HD) 77

The only DMA I've personally verified recently is Jacksonville, FL. It worked fine from Florida to NY.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
My current list of CONUS beamed DMA's:

DMA Sat
  1. Bluefield, WV (HD) 77
  2. Cincinnati, OH (HD) 77
  3. Charlottesville, VA (HD) 77
  4. Chicago, IL (HD) 72.7
  5. Columbus, GA (HD) 77
  6. Davenport, IA (HD) 77
  7. Denver, CO (HD) 72.7
  8. Evansville, IN (HD) 77
  9. Ft Wayne, IN (HD) 61.5
  10. Jacksonville, FL (HD) 77
  11. Lexington, KY (HD) 77
  12. Lima, OH (HD) 77
  13. Little Rock, AR (HD) 77
  14. Los Angeles, CA 72.7
  15. Louisville, KY(HD) 77
  16. New York, NY (HD 72.7
  17. Paducah, KY(HD) 77
  18. Sacramento, CA (HD) 72.7
  19. Springfield, MO (HD) 77

The only DMA I've personally verified recently is Jacksonville, FL. It worked fine from Florida to NY.
Why would Sacramento be on an eastern arc sat?

Why would Sacramento be on an eastern arc sat?

I agree, and after reviewing my sources, I think that was a leftover typo from a previous list since I can't verify it now from current sources. So delete Sacramento's 72.7 listing...

Also an apparent typo, Los Angeles and Sacramento are both CONUS beamed on 119, not 110.

I agree, and after reviewing my sources, I think that was a leftover typo from a previous list since I can't verify it now from current sources. So delete Sacramento's 72.7 listing...

Also an apparent typo, Los Angeles and Sacramento are both CONUS beamed on 119, not 110.

If you want the best (always current) list for the various satellites, sorted by transponder and type, this is the place to look.

The Uplink Activity Center

I don't know when the LA DMA moved, but it's currently shown at the link above as spot beamed on 119 (SD) and 129 (HD). It looks like we can scratch LA off the CONUS list. There seems to be some significant variations between the above linked listings and the LyngSat listings, but I believe the Uplink Activity Center linked above to have the most current info available.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts