Distant Network Shutoff on December 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasRz View Post
Really? I remember some posters saying that Internet viewing would spell the doom of the network affiliate system.

It was and IS me.

lol!

actually the locals are available in my area, but my dish is too old to get them (not that I'll actually buy the locals), but it would be nice to get new, free equipment.

I'm with you on downloading the programs I want. The NAB will not win.

"Well if you live in the boonies" - nope
"and don't have cable" - it's an option, but I don't want it
" and want to watch the net's" - nope... what programming I want to watch from ABC, CBS, NBC, or FOX, I can stream on-line, totally by-passing the locals. Ha ha ha ha.

And since none of those cases apply to me... I will not go to Direct.

But if you need to, that's none of my business.

Luckily when I lose my distants, I'll be able to replace them with the Internet... and not my locals.

The NAB cannot stop technology.

Umm..I think we get it. You can stream video. We don't need a new post every 12 hours to let us know.

Umm..I think we get it. You can stream video. We don't need a new post every 12 hours to let us know.

Since you are such a big fan of my posts, you should know that it's not every twelve hours that I protest the stupid laws protecting the locals.

Which will also be compounded more by the rules for digital (HD) distant network service.

DirecTV supposedly has room for about 1500 HD local channels when DirecTV 10 and 11 are placed online next year. Almost 1500 HD local channels translates to practically the entire nation.

So DirecTV will have most markets' locals in digital (HD) by the end of next year, while Dish Network will still have bandwidth problems to cover that much territory.
With the amount of compression that Directv uses on their HD channels, I would guess that they could squeeze in about 3000 HD locals on those satellites.:)

Yeah.... I'd love to tell Grandpa Joe up in the mountains on his farm. "Don't worry, Grandpa! You can still watch CSI and Law & Order by downloading the AVI files from the internet. It should look great on that 15 inch monitor you have. Just get an extra cushion for your back since you'll be sitting in the chair for so long instead of the couch. "

Charlie announced in the tech chat that RV waivers are no good and that those with Signifcantly Viewed will lose DNS before 12/1/06. Don't know about CBS-HD, that was not addressed.

Heck that's twice within TWO hours! Since your life is fufilled throught the internet why are you here?

Luckily when I lose my distants, I'll be able to replace them with the Internet... and not my locals.

The NAB cannot stop technology.

@ThomasRz

1. Yes I know what a free market is. I am quite concerned however that you do not unless of course you are referring to the definition as would be provided by a Microsoft approved dictionary.

You're the one with the question mark.

2. People will not die without DNS. People can live without many things. You obviously did not get the point so I will restate: With the loss of DNS from Dish users like myself will have only two bad options....either switch to DirecTV or go without the big 4 networks. Sorry that my previous statement was over your head.
I was alluding to the fact that death row inmates in Utah had two bad choices.

No! Really? Well, I was not alluding but sarcastically (yet, again!) pointing out that you are being silly with overdramatization. While not available to every person, there is D*, cable, OTA, USDTV - so far. If you make the choice to live in a remote area (with its benefits(?)) then you have to accept the limitations of such a choice.

3. I think you are pinched for coherent thought rather then time. You skirted defining a free market or offering anything relevant then you moved on missing the point of my next statement only to finish with a quote from the 16th president that you were not following because you posted a reply in the first place!

Ooh, that hurts. Especially coming from such a brain box as yourself. I will leave it up to others to judge who looks more like a fool. Oh, Mr. Lincoln was the 16th president. Didn't think I knew that did you?

I think you need to go back to Troll school Buddy.

Name calling? Try a supportable argument. It's more manly.

Bimson, can I have a hankie?

Perhaps I can be "The Great Uniter" (sorry President Bush)...

Personally, I'd like to be the Great Untier

From DirecTV, in the article:From bacchus101:From ThomasRz:Of course, I am one of those people that can help out...

You know I did have you in mind.

Free market implies the ability of businesses and customers to do business with each other, but without the need to involve the government.

A reasonable definition for our purposes.

By definition, the ability to deliver distant networks is not "free market", as the government created a license to allow satellite companies to deliver distant networks to those that are unserved. This license is available to anyone, provided it isn't violated.

Gotta disagree here. As you, yourself, have pointed out on numerous occasions, the statutory license is an alternative to normal free market interaction done for the sake of efficiency and for the public policy purpose of expanding access to DBS. There still could be DBS without the government license (even with the injunction) but it would be messy.

Therefore, the choices are a little different because of the injunction. A "free market" solution is that customers have the choice to remain with Dish Network and pick up their local channels (where available), or switch to another provider for network programming, where available.

But of course, those who have been squealing the loudest about losing DNS are people who HAVE LIL. They just think that their local stations are inferior or simply like getting NY and/or LA. This is why I laughed when ol' Charlie said that the injunction didn't impact those who had LIL coverage (the majority of the customer base). It was these already "served" customers that were one of the biggest problems. Of course Charlie's timeline mysteriously jumps from 2003 to the injunction. Hmm, I wonder what was going on during that time? Of course, now that the voice of the almighthy has spoken, certain doubters in these parts might really believe the end is near.

Here is the one statement I have issue with:A company? The network affiliate boards of ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC asked the appeals court to issue a permanent injunction for willful and repeated violations of the law. That motion was granted, irrespective of what Fox Network did. And even if all parties, including Fox Network, came to a settlement, the injunction would have still been issued.

It does no good, Greg. Certain people see Charlie in shining armor aboard a mighty white steed, slaying the Black Knight (Rupert) and the dragon of cable tv. The fact that our hero was usually back at the castle boffing the serf's missus is lost on them.

It does no good, Greg. Certain people see Charlie in shining armor aboard a mighty white steed, slaying the Black Knight (Rupert) and the dragon of cable tv. The fact that our hero was usually back at the castle boffing the serf's missus is lost on them.

Gotta admit that was funny :D :D (but unfortunately so TRUE, & pretty much since he started up DISH)

BTW, one small correction for you - USDTV filed for bankruptcy back in July. While they may still be offering service (which was NOT even in a 1/2 dozen markets) it's pretty much a given it's all but DEAD.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6351631.html

Last edited:
ThomasRz said:
Gotta disagree here. As you, yourself, have pointed out on numerous occasions, the statutory license is an alternative to normal free market interaction done for the sake of efficiency and for the public policy purpose of expanding access to DBS. There still could be DBS without the government license (even with the injunction) but it would be messy.
I'll agree with you to a point...

If CBS-HD doesn't come down, then perhaps there is a way to negotiate around the copyrights. The problem is and has always been that making a local channel secure copyright licenses for resale for all of their programming and commericals is a zero-sum game. It would take so long to gain all copyright clearances (and the costs associated with making sure the copyrights weren't violated) that the station would then charge the satellite company and arm and a leg.

Someone believes that "distant networks" are part of the "free market". Part of the issue is that the company that sells distant networks using the government-granted license must follow the rules of the license.

And all of a sudden the four network affiliate boards, those that were willing to settle for $100 million, have filed a motion with the court to force Dish Network to comply with the 1 December cut-off date.

Think the network affiliate boards cared about the $100 million settlement now?

...USDTV filed for bankruptcy back in July. While they may still be offering service (which was NOT even in a 1/2 dozen markets) it's pretty much a given it's all but DEAD.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6351631.html

It's baaaak!

(press release)

NEXGEN TELECOM ACQUIRES USDTV ASSETS AND CONTINUES PROVIDING UNIQUE OVER-THE-AIR CABLE ALTERNATIVE

The Mountain West Sports Network Added to USDTV’s Low-Cost, Family-Friendly Line Up

Salt Lake City, UT – 10 November 2006 – NexGen Telecom, LLC today announced it has acquired the assets of U.S. Digital Television, LLC (USDTV) from bankruptcy court and added The MountainWest Sports Network (the mtn.) to the USDTV service. USDTV’s unique subscription TV service provides consumers with a low-cost, family-friendly alternative to cable. USDTV was the first all-digital and high-definition pay TV service in the U.S. to be broadcast “over-the-air” to a regular TV antenna (con't)...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

When the low power transmitters flashcut to digital in February of 2009, they will be ideal for USDTV. They will be running maybe ten to twelve dB below co-located full powered transmitters, but that is adequate for urban broadcast signal transmission.

In Washington DC, for example, there are presently analog, low powered Spanish transmitters broadcasting on channels 47 and 49 that get decimated by WRC 48-DT, but they will become reliable meduims for half a dozen infomercials or USDTV programs as soon as they switch to digital. I believe that a low powered transmitter from Silver Spring has applied to move to the DC tower area, and I think there are low powered analog channel 23 and 42 broadcasts at present as well.

The problem with USDTV is that while I have lots of customers who would dump cable in a heartbeat if they could get just one or two cable TV channels, it's never the same cable TV channels.

The problem with USDTV is that while I have lots of customers who would dump cable in a heartbeat if they could get just one or two cable TV channels, it's never the same cable TV channels.
This is where IPTV will shine, and [hopefully] where USDTV and its mutations will die a horrible death.

Well my NY and LA distants were shut off today. But, CBS-HD is still on! Please let me keep the HD!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea, Bob I'm hoping too. Unless I missed something, I don't think anyone that has had their distants shut off so far has lost the CBS HD if they had it before. BTW, so far I haven't been shut off in Vt.

- I'm holding my breath to see if my Distants will be cut off here in rural Maine.
- No locals offered here, so if I lose DNS I'll be forced to "move" or I might go north of the border for Bell ExpressVu, and sell my two DiSH boxes on eBay :-(
- I've been with DiSH since 1996, but am very disappointed about this whole DNS mess.

Dish_Dan

Originally Posted by bacchus101 View Post
@ThomasRz

1. Yes I know what a free market is. I am quite concerned however that you do not unless of course you are referring to the definition as would be provided by a Microsoft approved dictionary.

You're the one with the question mark.

It was a rhetorical question. Sorry to trip you up with such an "advanced" figure of speech.

2. People will not die without DNS. People can live without many things. You obviously did not get the point so I will restate: With the loss of DNS from Dish users like myself will have only two bad options....either switch to DirecTV or go without the big 4 networks. Sorry that my previous statement was over your head.
I was alluding to the fact that death row inmates in Utah had two bad choices.

No! Really? Well, I was not alluding but sarcastically (yet, again!) pointing out that you are being silly with overdramatization. While not available to every person, there is D*, cable, OTA, USDTV - so far. If you make the choice to live in a remote area (with its benefits(?)) then you have to accept the limitations of such a choice.

In the modern world people need not be forced to live substandard lives because of location. The technology exists to provide a service I want. Surprisingly I am using it right now! What a miracle of innovation!

On the subject of over dramatization, I think your white steed-evil dragon metaphor pretty much laid out your stance on using such theatrical devices.

3. I think you are pinched for coherent thought rather then time. You skirted defining a free market or offering anything relevant then you moved on missing the point of my next statement only to finish with a quote from the 16th president that you were not following because you posted a reply in the first place!

Ooh, that hurts. Especially coming from such a brain box as yourself. I will leave it up to others to judge who looks more like a fool. Oh, Mr. Lincoln was the 16th president. Didn't think I knew that did you?

I assumed you knew Lincoln was the 16th president. It was YOU who quoted him!

I think you need to go back to Troll school Buddy.

Name calling? Try a supportable argument. It's more manly.

Just so you know you big strong manly man, I was not name calling. A troll is a definable entity (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll) and from reading your posting history I am quite comfortable in saying you fit the definition. It was the best expression of my impression of you.

Bimson, can I have a towel set?

Heck that's twice within TWO hours! Since your life is fufilled throught the internet why are you here?

Because artificial constraints protecting the archaic business model of local retransmission annoys me.

I'd rather have my DNS than use the internet right now... but this mess is does not allow that.

I don't know if this has been brought up but what about PBS? There are 2 sets of people who have can get National PBS

-those with distants
-those who have National PBS in their locals because their area doesn't have a PBS

What will happen to those people? Will they lose PBS?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)