Distinguishing HD from non-HD files on the VIP 622

mark069

Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Is there anyway to tell whether a file stored on the DVR is HD without actually playing it? The 622 tells you how much remsining HD recording time you have left but it doesn't tell you which files were recorded in HD....

Are you looking at the list in the DVR menu ?? If so, I don't even think there's an "HD" tag in the program info in many cases. Just because it was recorded on an HD channel or a local's digital channel doesn't mean it's HD either.

Or, are you looking at the HDD directly, like attached to a PC ?? In that case, the filesize-to-length ratio would be a pretty safe indicator.

Check events info

Go to each event and hit info. It will tell which ch it was recorded off of. It will also say if it was an HD recording. At least it does in some of the events on my 622.

There isn't anything that will tell you 100% of the time. As noted above a couple good indications are what channel it was recorded from and sometimes the info for a programs says in HD (or something to that effect). The problem with trying to put a tag on them in the My Recordings screen is that all programs recorded off digital OTA stations would show up as HD (even if they weren't)

I'm looking at the DVR menu and I want to avoid wasting time hitting info or playing the program first. The 622 has two separate time remaining numbers at the top of the screen so clearly the DVR knows what's HD and what's SD. And when you delete a program the 622 knows whether it's SD or HD. So the information is SOMEWHERE inside the 622 - just wondering if the software fols at Dish decided they would share that info with us. I guess not.

No, it doesn't know what is HD. All it knows is how much space something took up. As I noted in my example above. A non-HD show recorded OTA is going to take up about as much space as a full HD show from the same channel.

No, it doesn't know what is HD. All it knows is how much space something took up. As I noted in my example above. A non-HD show recorded OTA is going to take up about as much space as a full HD show from the same channel.

Not necessarily. The MPEG2 stream for a SD show transmitted in either 1080i or 720p is much more compact than the stream for a similar HD program because there is so much redundancy in the data, including but not all because of the black/grey bars on each side. I would estimate the file size to be sumwhat less than 1/4 th the size of an HD stream of the same material.

Last edited:

If the 622 doesn't know whether the file is HD or not, then why does it maintain a seaprate recording time remaining for both HD and SD? And when I delete an HD file, the HD recording time remaining increases by the amount of time on the file that was just deleted?

Clearly, the software CAN distinguish between HD and SD files otherwise there would only be ONE recording time listed....

Ha! All the 622 does is keep track of the amount of space left on the hard drive. It determines from that approximately how much HD or SD it can still fit on the hard drive. That is what is reflected in the counters.

Fine, you figured it out. The 622 *does* know which are HD and which are SD... I can't believe Dish hides this from us !!

I have to ask now, what are you trying to do ??

Ha! All the 622 does is keep track of the amount of space left on the hard drive. It determines from that approximately how much HD or SD it can still fit on the hard drive. That is what is reflected in the counters.

Do you have a 622? If what you are saying is true, then BOTH counters would increment when any file is deleted. This doesn't happen - only the HD counter is incremented when an HD file is deleted and only the SD counter is incremented when an SD file is deleted.

Fine, you figured it out. The 622 *does* know which are HD and which are SD... I can't believe Dish hides this from us !!

I have to ask now, what are you trying to do ??

I was trying to determine if there was an easy way to immediately see if a recorded DVR file was HD or SD. I am aware of methods involving looking at the file contents but that's not very convenient and the info still might not be there.... Short of playing the file/program there doesn't appear to be any quick way to determine this.

Do you have a 622? If what you are saying is true, then BOTH counters would increment when any file is deleted. This doesn't happen - only the HD counter is incremented when an HD file is deleted and only the SD counter is incremented when an SD file is deleted.

I have a ViP622. BOTH counters change when a program is added or deleted on my machine.

I believe lakebum431 is right:
"All the 622 does is keep track of the amount of space left on the hard drive. It determines from that approximately how much HD or SD it can still fit on the hard drive. That is what is reflected in the counters."

Yes, I actually have 2 of them. They do both decrease. These are not mutually exclusive. There is only 1 pot of space to record on not an SD 1 and an HD 1. Check your facts please.

All the 622 does is to see how much free space is available in the partition of the HD and run that number through an algorithym that estimates how much SD AND/OR how much HD will fit in that free space.

What would be nice are the following two items:

1.) HD indicator on the Program Guide (cable tv has this why can't dish)
2.) Hard Drive usage for each program on the DVR

I agree with the program guide indicator and have a feeling they will add this. It only makes sense. The hard drive usage should become apparent when (if?) they add external hard drive support.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)