Distribution Wiring change, removing DPD2 Diplexer and Installing DP44

H2Guy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 28, 2022
Santa Fe
All of this re-arrangement lately (and also having a bad coax connector has made me look close at my distribution cabinet which is a total mess,
I have 2 pictures attached of old and what I have proposed as new. I have a DP44 that I never used and I was thinking maybe this is the time to put it to work.

Comments, suggestions, yes it will work, no it won't! Thanks to the experts! As you can see coax runs between the rooms is not a problem so I don't think I need the DPD2 Diplexers.

Attachments

• oldnew.jpg
    oldnew.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 119
You could leave the triplexer and DPD2 for the living room in place (it will work as long as its connected before the DPP44) to keep everything on a single coax run, if the second coax run from the living room and cabinet is already there then might as well use it.

Other then that looks fine to me, if you wanted to get a little more crazy you could add another triplexer (or second coax run) to the 922 in the MBR, and connect that to your Amp as well. That way the GBR and Office can pull separate programing as long as each 922 is broadcasting on different channels, something like 55 and 60, for example.

Reactions: charlesrshell
So I would take the one of the outputs of the DPP44 and run it though the DPD2 going to the receiver to keep everything on a single coax run. Also, is there an advantage to using the DPP44 instead of a bunch of DPD2's other then making a cleaner installation with less clutter? Does it provide a better signal to the receiver? Does is concatenate all of the LNB's? Thanks, also, is there a coax connector you can but that fits the RF antenna connector. It's a different thread then the RG6 coax connectors. If I wanted to extend the RF antenna to a remote location I would need to be able to hook up a coax to that port.

My apologize if perhaps I am using the wrong terms, what I am referring to is the Holland Diplexer that interfaces the LNB and as I understand it passes the power from the satellite receiver to the actual dish. It has a DPD2 designation on it and differs from the Diplexer/triplexers that attach to the receiver. I hope that clears things up.

Holland DPD2 2 Amp Satellite Diplexer

My apologize if perhaps I am using the wrong terms, what I am referring to is the Holland Diplexer that interfaces the LNB and as I understand it passes the power from the satellite receiver to the actual dish. It has a DPD2 designation on it and differs from the Diplexer/triplexers that attach to the receiver. I hope that clears things up.

Holland DPD2 2 Amp Satellite Diplexer
It's a Diplexer. It passes the signal from the Satellite to the Receiver where it meets a Triplexer, in most cases.
The Triplexer separates the incoming signal for duo tuner receivers. The third leg returns the signal back to the Diplexer, where it sends it to the TV2.
That's how it works in most cases. What it's doing in layman's terms is allowing signal to pass in two different directions at the same time on the same wire, also known as multiplexing.

In more exotic applications, it can be used to send signals from two different sources to the same place.
An example would be connecting a Satellite cable to the SAT port. In/Out the Receiver with an OTA Antenna to the UHF/VHF port.
At the receiver, a Diplexer would be placed before the Triplexer in the same order. In/Out on the first Diplexer to the In/Out on the second Diplexer at the receiver. The Sat Port connected the to Triplexer and the UHF/VHF to an OTA Input. For a single tuner receiver, there would be no Triplexer and the Sat port would connect to the input on the Receiver. Like a 211, for example

The same thing has been known to work with an Internet signal.

Diplexers are not able to work with Hoppers

Diplexers are not able to work with Hoppers
Well, it can if you don’t care about MoCA. The Holland diplexer will filter out everything other then satellite signal on the Sat port to allow VHF/UHF pass on the Input, meaning OTA channels can pass through to its respective port but MoCA won’t reach the Hopper. Only use case I could see is a single Hopper install with an OTA adapter.

And if you are into jerry-rigging, Hybrid taps can be used as diplexers as well since they pass everything from MoCA to VHF/UHF. I would not recommend that setup to anybody other then a hobbyist though, since you need filtering to avoid stuff like ham radio or cellular services from entering the line

I have a dedicated Coax run for my Internet service so im not planing on running that signal combined with the sat stuff. Im beginning to wonder if the
extra work the DPP44 will require. Especially if there is no advantage (such as better signal to all receivers) about the only thing I will get is a cleaner distribution cabinet and a extra feed for a 4th receiver.

I have a dedicated Coax run for my Internet service so im not planing on running that signal combined with the sat stuff. Im beginning to wonder if the
extra work the DPP44 will require. Especially if there is no advantage (such as better signal to all receivers) about the only thing I will get is a cleaner distribution cabinet and a extra feed for a 4th receiver.
...which may be worth it in itself. I'm a big fan of clean installs.
If you use the 44 Switch, don't forget the power inserter for the switch has to be on Port 1. Since you have power in the cabinet, you can connect a jumper from port one on the switch to the inserter and pug it in right there and then use ports 2 and 3 for your 922's and 211 instead of taking up a plug and trying to hide it at the receiver