DivineHD: Should it be "a la carte"?

I don't want this channel and I don't want my children to watch it. So I think it should "a la carte " so that I have the choice of NEVER order it.

I can think of a number of channels I don't want to pay for. If you belive that, you should make all channels a la carte.

DenR said:
I can think of a number of channels I don't want to pay for. If you belive that, you should make all channels a la carte.
The answer is yes if that would make my monthly bill cheaper or it saves me from a future increase on my current package

I don't really want to pay for any of the Cinema 10 channels and it's replacing one of those so I'm pretty much in the same boat as before. Don't want to watch it, don't want to pay for it, but I feel that I'm getting enough value out of the other channels for the price I am paying. Once they raise the price after my price lock ends I may reevaluate the value of the programming package.

I will almost never watch any channels in the 300 series (sports). So, I am all for all channels being a la carte, as long as it saves me money.

How about this poll to give to VOOM: "Should ALL channels be a la carte?"

Or this poll... "Should each 100-block of channels be a la carte?"

(100 - VOOM Exclusives, 200 - premium movie channels, 300 - sports, 400 - news, 500 - SD or whatever, etc. etc.)

I think it's a great idea to add some niche channels like this to attract specific groups. For example if a sat provider offered an Australian only channel I would jump on it for sure.

And I'm glad this isn't a la carte because it sounds like it might have some pretty good movies/programming.

Let's see, you want VOOM to change its offer so that they begin charging for a channel they currently give at no extra charge. For pete's sake, if you don't want it, lock it out. They're not going to lower your monthly bill one cent if they convert it to a pay channel. Why don't you just live and let live?

You know, Divine is just a marketing gimmick. It's packaging together older existing programming and movies that everyone has watched before and just finding another connection to try and appeal to a unique audience segment that is perceived to be underserved. Who ever really thought of The Producers as a "gay" movie. The Birdcage was a big hit, must have had some heterosexual appeal. La Cage Aux Folles was a big crossover foreign film hit. The channel is going to have movies that star gay icons - well that can be Barbara Streisand. She's a pretty big gay idol but I don't think Funny Girl, Funny Lady, The Way We Were, or Yentl were overtly "gay". How about Spartacus or Marathon Man? Olivier was bisexual so are those "gay" movies. I never really thought so even after they brought out the restored Spartacus with the "snails and oysters" scene. Is The Lion King "gay"? Timon and Pumba were both voiced by gay actors. How about Oz? How many of you guys used to watch that on HBO? That show had more "gay" content than Queer Eye but I guarantee a hell of a lot of you anti-Divine guys sneaked a peak of the full frontal male nudity on Oz a time or two.
Just how far do we go with this thing anyway? No more X-Men or Lord of the Rings? Ian Mckellan certainly qualifies as a gay icon. How about North by Northwest? Cary Grant is a gay icon. Guess we should include Arthur since Gielgud was gay too. Don't forget Hans Christian Anderson and any of the other Danny Kaye movies - like White Christmas. While we are at it we need to clean out Rebel without a Cause and Giant - the grand superfecta of gay appeal with Rock Hudson, James Dean, Sal Mineo and Elizabeth Taylor. Oh yeah, anything Elizabeth Taylor has ever been in. I also guess Musicals as a whole just need to be eliminated - gay people like all the mincing and prancing about. Even a macho musical like Damn Yankees will have to go since Tab Hunter was in that. I'm not sure about Tootsie or Mrs. Doubtfire, though, since there is no real gay icon or theme in these movies but there is the cross dressing. I'm sure someone here can fill me in on the appropriate religious doctrine to apply to that conundrum. And what about the Indy 500 - do I have to skip it all or just when Jim Nabors sings Back Home Again in Indiana?
I'm not sure what will be worse - losing the Planet of the Apes series (damn your gayness Roddy Mcdowell) or losing Psycho (Anthony Perkins). I am glad Kevin Spacey has decided to leave us all in official limbo since I like American Beauty and Usual Suspects. And since The Producers is being identified as "gay" by Divine does that mean all Mel Brooks movies are "gay" by default? I really like Young Frankenstein. And, just to be gratitious with other great movies that could show up on Divine how about this list:

Midnight Cowboy
Boogie Nights
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Philadelphia
Gods and Monsters
Deathtrap
Magnolia
The Music Man
Victor/Victoria
Wizard of Oz
Meet Me In St. Louis
A Star is Born (50s and 70s versions)
Rear Window
My Best Friends Wedding
Everything Bette Davis has ever done
Ava Gardner movies like Night of the Iguana, Snows of Kilimanjaro, Seven Days in May, And the Sun Also Rises
Color Purple
Fried Green Tomatoes
Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Cisco Kid movies, original Oceans' 11, and Donaven's Reef, Around the World in Eighty Days
Geez, after I sit here and think about it all for awhile, I think Divine has a chance to have better movies than any of the other Cinema 10 channels and/or AMC. Maybe they should make it a pay channel so Voom can make some money.

ZeitGeist said:
You know, Divine is just a marketing gimmick. It's packaging together older existing programming and movies that everyone has watched before and just finding another connection to try and appeal to a unique audience segment that is perceived to be underserved. .

Of course, you are correct. It's really no different than the "Black Starz" channel.

It reminds me of the various theme blocks on VH1 classic. PopShow, All Star Jams, Metal Mania, etc, etc... I'd say 75% of the videos they show wind up in every theme block.

You might as well start calling Bravo a gay channel because of that queer eye show. If you asking me "Trading Spaces" belongs in the category.

Trading spaces is getting there, no doubt about it. The HDivas on the divine channel is the main difference from the others I would think.

ZeitGeist, You make alot of sence. Hollywood is full of "gayness" if you will. I think what gets to most heteros(myself included) is the "celebration" of it. To many homosexuality was better when there was a closet, or a don't ask don't tell policy 'cause I don't want to know. Right or wrong just my 2 cents.

-Chris

First off let me say I can't believe how close the poll results are. I'm not a person of "alternative lifestyle" but then again I'm not a homo-phobe as well.

For me, Anytime your offered another HD formatted channel at no extra cost it is a bonus. I don't have to watch it, I could lock it out, and I really don't think your gonna be seeing anything offending on this channel. Maybe you should watch it before you make judgement.

Bottom line is, If VOOM says there adding another channel and it's called something like "Oxygen", which may have a slight femine flair, noboby would be bitchin'. Once the tag of "alternative lifestyle" is applied there seems to be a bit of prejudice applied here. I know it's only human, but lighten up.

I personally wish for HDnet and Inhd, but those also (like all independent channels) are relegated to legal matters and contracts. I don't think this DivineHd is produced by Voom itself. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think its' and independent looking for broadcast, such as the WealthHD channel.

just my 2 cents

nc2

notcat2 said:
For me, Anytime your offered another HD formatted channel at no extra cost it is a bonus. I don't have to watch it, I could lock it out, and I really don't think your gonna be seeing anything offending on this channel. Maybe you should watch it before you make judgement.

MTV used to be a music video channel. Hardly anything offense. Look at it now. I guess we'll have to wait and see what comes of this network, however I think the motives are clear.

It's obvious that the goal of homosexual proponents is to make this lifestyle mainstream and seemingly acceptable, and this network is just part of the deal.

To call anyone who is against this lifestyle being shoved down your throat a "homophobe" is naive at best. One can be against something without being fearful of it.

I find it interesting that you have all the bitching and moaning in the thread about which channels should Voom add to their lineup, and yet all the indifference to this channel.

larrybud said:
I find it interesting that you have all the bitching and moaning in the thread about which channels should Voom add to their lineup, and yet all the indifference to this channel.

Indifference? You must be kidding. Probably hundreds of posts have been deleted here because we discussed the subject a bit too hotly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts