DLP vs LCoS

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

fayrich

Old Fart
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2004
CLEVELAND, OHIO AREA
Anyone have any input on the new LCoS vs DLP? There are a few sets available now. Saw that JVC has this technology available now in the Crutchfield catalog. Price is competetive with DLP.

JVC has used the light valve tecnology for years. It employs LCOS. Many other companies (Philips, Intel) have entered then left this display tecnology. Sony, currently has a $10000 70" set and Canon has a $4000 front projector. The advantage of LCOS is it tends to be brighter than transmissive displays and because of the 3 chip tecnology has better image quality than color wheel systems. The DLP has grabbed a lot of attention because of its supposed long life. With todays rapidly changing tecnology, any set that will last 10 years is probably sufficient. One advantage for the JVC, besides cost. The bulb is warranteed for one year, in home service.

The main drawback differences in my mind are:

DLP has a problem with a rainbow effect that affects some people (note not a lot)... They see the effect of the spinning color wheel, especially with moving objects in B&W films.

LCoS only JVC really seems to be in the market (other come and go and some only have a single product). Single supplier of the technology leading to lack of selection (some complain about poor scaling with JVC).

Ok guys - here's update on my JVC LCoS set. It was delivered late on Thursday. Let it set overnite to warm to room temp as a precautionary measure. Hooked it up yesterday, and watched my Cavs lose to Denver on ESPN HD. WOW!!!--the picture quality was stunning. I currently have a DLP set in the living room, and an LCD set in the bedroom. This set replaces the RP CRT set in the family room. Being familiar with all of these technologies, I have to say that this set has the most awesome HD quality that I have ever seen. Did not even have to change any of the picture settings other than setting to "panorama" for SD content programs. I have Voom, and their HD channels on this set are amazing. This is just one guy's opinion, but thought the rest of you might be interested in hearing. By the way, the display sets in the Best Buy and Sears stores did not do justice to this set. Will continue over the weekend modifying my home theatre set-up to accomodate my new prized possesion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)