DMA Map for My Area?

DaveO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Wonder if anyone knowledgeable with station DMA can help.
I live in Chester, MA 01011. Albany NY locals are now online, but I am 2 miles from being eligible for them.

Hartford, CT locals are coming online this month. I am about 30 miles from Hartford, but am trying to determine if I would be eligible for them as they are over the stateline in CT, from MA, and much closer to me than Albany, NY?

There are no future prospects for any other locals coming online in this area so I hope I can qualify.

Anyone that can point me to a GradeA GradeB/DMA map for this area?

Wish that Congress would get off their butts and fix this.

Dave

dlsnyder said:
Just a guess here but I think you are in the Springfield/Holyoke DMA (#106). Looks like you are out of luck for now, unless you want to move...

Yes, that area is slightly closer to me. There will never be locals eminating from there for sure. So I'm toast then as far as locals.
Thanks. :(

If you want Hartford, you could "move" your service address...Albany is different, since its on SuperDish and Dish would have to install it at the physical address.

Iceberg said:
If you want Hartford, you could "move" your service address...Albany is different, since its on SuperDish and Dish would have to install it at the physical address.

Hartford would be best. Thanks for the idea. Wondering about phone line & area code plugged into the box? I wish I hadn't sold my RV last year.

Remember Hartford is on a spot beam coming off 119, the beam may or may not reach your area.

Also I have talked to Dish, because springfield only has 3 TV stations (and the rest are all Hartford Stations) dont expect to see Springfield Ma on satellite anytime soon.

DaveO said:
Iceberg said:

Hartford would be best. Thanks for the idea. Wondering about phone line & area code plugged into the box? I wish I hadn't sold my RV last year.
Nah..no biggie. You can have your phone line plugged in.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Remember Hartford is on a spot beam coming off 119, the beam may or may not reach your area.

Also I have talked to Dish, because springfield only has 3 TV stations (and the rest are all Hartford Stations) dont expect to see Springfield Ma on satellite anytime soon.
Scott
He said he was 30 miles from Hartford....I think the spotbeam can make it to his spot (I hope so :)

Scott Greczkowski said:

Yes, it appears the spot beam is no problem. I even am well within Boston's beam.

This is what I don't understand: Springfield/Holyoke (my dma) will never have locals as you say, but anyone from the area knows that those of us in the hills of the Berkshires cannot receive Spfld. stations. I have a roof top antenna (new) with a rotor and amp. I can get one Hartford channel that I would classify as good, when the leaves are down anyway. I cannot receive any Springfield station, that could in any way be claimed to be watchable. Sure there is the waiver system, but from what I can gather it sucks, especially in this area.
This really needs attention via Shva modification, so those of us in a situation like this don't have to go "outlaw" in order to receive service.
T'ain't right, and Congress needs to get off their fat do-nothing (but screw things up) butts and change it. (Can you tell that I'm *eligible* to be an AARP member but am not?)

Dave

The thing that needs to be changed is Satellite should be able to play by the same rules the cable guys play by, and that is be able to offer ajoining DMAs.

My mother lives in Southington Connecticut which is in Central Connecticut, on her cable system she gets Hartford Locals, New York Locals and I believe Springfield locals.

Why can't satellite do that as well?

Scott Greczkowski said:
The thing that needs to be changed is Satellite should be able to play by the same rules the cable guys play by, and that is be able to offer ajoining DMAs....Why can't satellite do that as well?
I whole-heartedly agree. Could it have anything to do with the powerful lobbies of the NAB and the COC (Cable Operators Conspiracy)! :rolleyes:

Scott Greczkowski said:
The thing that needs to be changed is Satellite should be able to play by the same rules the cable guys play by, and that is be able to offer ajoining DMAs.

Why can't satellite do that as well?

Exactly...In the town where my service address is (Aitkin, MN) they have all 4 network + PBS from Minneapolis (the DMA its in). But they also have PBS from Brainerd (35 miles west..still in Mpls DMA). They also have NBC & ABC from Duluth (totally different DMA).

How come I can't get the PBS out of Brainerd?? It IS in Mpls DMA..It IS a full power station (well, actually, its a satellite of the PBS in Bemidji, which is also in the Mpls DMA)..So why doesn't Dish carry it?

Iceberg,

KAWB Braynard is broadcasting from Cabbs County which is in the Min/St. Paul TV Market. Brainard is in Crow Wing County which is also in the Min/St. Paul market. It is a reapeater of KAWE in Bemidji which is also in the same market.

The Bimidji PBS station did ask for must carry back in June 2001 for the 2002 must carry rule. Unfortunately the station could not deliver a "good quality signal" to Dish Network's POP in Minneapolis. The station still has must carry status and Dish must make the station available to Min/St. Paul locals subscribers within 75 days of receiving a "good quality signal" from KAWE. Last I heard, (January 2002) they were attempting to secure grants to pay for the fiber. But I guess nearly two years later, that must not have panned out.

See all the conditions to "must carry" at http://ekb.dbstalk.com/19#MC

See ya
Tony

Thanks for the clarification Tony

After asking the question, I did kinda think abouit it. Since KAWE is a good 200+ miles from where all the other Mpls station towers are (Im assuming the POP site is near there) so it would be a haul to get it there. I do remember KAWE asking viewers for donations to help get them on satellite, but that was a while ago.