DNS Gone For Most New Subscribers

NightRyder

1978 Y88 T/A 6.6 4 spd 1978-2020 RIP
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
NW Oregon
Looks like Dish has updated their address broker to reflect the new SHERVA law. Typed in my white area address and I'm no longer eligible for Distant Networks. :( . If I understand the new law correctly everyone currently with DNS and Grade B or worse gets to keep them, but once you drop DNS or switch providers they are gone. Of course there are always RV Waivers. :)

NightRyder

Looks like it's just wiped out for now. Salinas/Monterey, CA ADI has no ABC net affiliate and the distants don't show up for that one either.

If you put in Fort Kent, ME 04743 (Presque Isle DMA, not currently carried by Dish) you get to choose dIstant NETs.

Perhaps E* and D* will soon see a boom in subscribers in remote locations of the bottom 10 DMAs. :)

I'm not sure what DMS is do you mean DNS? right now I have CBSHD and I was thinking of moving to D* to get FOXHD and NBCHD also but I think that this new law has removed me from the DNS.

I meant DMA.
No, the law didn't remove you from it. Neilson has all of Gwinnet County smack dab in the middle of the Atlanta DMA, and no longer eligible for any Distant Networks. So unless you have an actual waver, you will lose any you have under the 60 day letter portion of the law. You will also likely lose the CBS-HD as WGCL-46 is not O&O.

as a further note with Directv having all of the networks for distant HD. It's still only O&O. For Atlanta the only O&O stations are Fox 5, and UPN 69 (No HD UPN on either Dish or Direct though).
The new digital white areas the FCC is supposed to put out should clear things a bit, but the Atlanta stations are hammering down on granting wavers, and youre not that far from them. All of them except Fox denied me wavers, and I'm all the way down in Butts County.

I must be in a ditch or something because even antennaweb doesn't list alot of stations that I can get even with that Large Directional antenna. but others who are further away can get almost all of the stations with a smaller antenna.

caesar gdi said:
I must be in a ditch or something because even antennaweb doesn't list alot of stations that I can get even with that Large Directional antenna. but others who are further away can get almost all of the stations with a smaller antenna.

Yeah! What's up with antennaweb? A couple of years ago could put in my address and they would give me tons of available analog stations and all the planned digital stations (which included the planned date to go live) in addition to the couple of digital stations that were actually live. Now, when I go to antennaweb, they only list a few stations, either analog or digital, and they don't give the digital ones planning to go live (not to mention the date). I don't understand what's changed. For some reason, antennaweb now thinks I can only get a few stations where I live. I can actually pull in stations 120 miles away in Dallas (only at night though).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)