NBC and ABC OTA channels are gone

BikinSwans

Original poster
May 16, 2009
Jax, FL
I pay for the local stations with my Dish subscription, and I have an outdoor antenna connected to my Dish receiver (Hopper).

Recently, the OTA channels for NBC, ABC and ION disappeared. Programs that my wife was recording were no longer recorded. Other local stations such as PBS, CW, Fox, and CBS are still available. I can still get the programming from the NBC, for example, by selecting channel 012-00, but channel 012-01 is gone. So I can only receive these 3 channels from the satellite connection and not from my OTA antenna.

I know that the OTA channels are still picked up by my antenna because when I use the TV without going through the Dish receiver, they are accessible, as are all the other OTA channels.

Is Dish blocking the OTA channels for a few select channels?

Dish would not block OTA channels. You should try to do a rescan. Perhaps the station may have changed their settings or the signal got weak.

1) Hit Home key twice and select Settings
2) Select OTA Channels
3) Select Rescan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dish would not block OTA channels. You should try to do a rescan. Perhaps the station may have changed their settings or the signal got weak.

1) Hit Home key twice and select Settings
2) Select OTA Channels
3) Select Rescan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did a rescan this morning, but will try again tomorrow. I found this very puzzling. Why could I get a local channel using the Dish satellite, and not the OTA with an antenna on just a few of the locals? Makes no sense.

Good to know that Dish wouldn't block OTA channels. Sometimes they come in handy when we in North Florida have a big thunderstorm.

Thank you.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The OTA station might have reduced power. Or moved. Dish might get the signal via fiber or other non OTA means.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thank you guys for all your help. I'm once again getting NBC and ABC over-the-air and can record programs using Dish.

I re-scanned for the OTA channels again this morning, but neither NBC or ABC appeared. 57 channels were found.

I then checked the USB connection and restarted the Hopper. 83 channels were found.

Now both the NBC and ABC OTA channels are available, and are at 100% signal strength. Also, the weak OTA channels no longer show up at all, which is fine because the picture using those channels was un-watchable, and highly pixelated. There were more changes, but they aren't of interest here.

All is well, and I thank you again.

Thank you guys for all your help. I'm once again getting NBC and ABC over-the-air and can record programs using Dish.

I re-scanned for the OTA channels again this morning, but neither NBC or ABC appeared. 57 channels were found.

I then checked the USB connection and restarted the Hopper. 83 channels were found.

Now both the NBC and ABC OTA channels are available, and are at 100% signal strength. Also, the weak OTA channels no longer show up at all, which is fine because the picture using those channels was un-watchable, and highly pixelated. There were more changes, but they aren't of interest here.

All is well, and I thank you again.
What do you mean that you checked the USB connection? Did you unplug & re-install, move to another USB port, etc?