Do Green Power EHD's work with Dish receivers?

db2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
MN
Does anyone know if Green Power (GP) external hard drives like this one work with Dish receivers? I am wondering if the green power feature puts the hd into some sort of sleep mode in which case it wouldn't work.

Has anyone tried these?

On a side note, how much does it cost to run an EHD 24/7?

Stay away?

Does anyone know if Green Power (GP) external hard drives like this one work with Dish receivers? I am wondering if the green power feature puts the hd into some sort of sleep mode in which case it wouldn't work.

Has anyone tried these?

I think I waould do as the 1st review said "Stay way". Since it runs really slow and transfer of files is going to be slow. I think the "GREEN" has to do with thta it slows down to 5400 when not being used but then it has to spin up to 7200. Not sure the DVR will have the command to spin it up.

Has anyone tried these?

I am using a WD5000avvs which looks to be quite similar on a 211K.
Works very well as I have had no problems with the combo. Not sure
what receiver you wish to use it on but with a 211/211k the hard drive
is always in use so it will never go into sleep mode.

My APRICORN DVR XPANDER uses a WD5000AACS which is a WD Caviar Green Power Saving Drive.

It's been in operation with my ViP 211 for over 2 months now and works great.

The AACS are slower but more than adequate for the demands of a dish EHD. The AAKS are faster, the AALS even more so.

I've used a few of these in different boxes (1tb). They work fine. Remember, we're dealing with USB here. This drive will keep up just fine.

Also, it stays nice and cool in the fanless external box.

One more comment. The box you choose is more critical then the drive. Most drives will work. I've had multipe experiences of problem boxes, but the drives were fine after relocation.

I don't have any box suggestions at this time (I stocked up when I found a cheap one that worked).

this is old, but a ways back I tried tracking the usb interface chips. It's a pity that's not usually included with the box specs. If you can find a "SATALink SPIF215A-HF021 MQH9062.1" grab it (and let me know).

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...external-storage-vip-622-a-3.html#post1069474

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts