Do I have a bad Hopper 3?

marklyn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 24, 2023
Austin, Tx
New customer since May 2023, "new" Hopper 3 and 2 joeys.
In the past day my Hopper 3 is been rebooting on it's own and goes to a blank screen with my TV reporting no signal on HDMI 1 (Hopper HDMI).
I'm noticing it more when I've switched HDMI inputs on my TV to watch something on my ROKU and when I switch back, black screen and no response at all.
I've rebooted about 7-8 times today. Unplugged it for 5-10 minutes. Reseated all of the new cables. Tested wired internet connection, still 500Mbps.
When it goes to a blank screen none of the buttons (except reset) work. Nothing ever comes up on the screen until I unplug or hold reset in for a reboot.
When it was up I checked and software was up to date.
I'm so darn frustrated with this thing and I'd almost cut my finger off than call customer disservice because I've dealt with hem before and it is just so painful.

New customer since May 2023, "new" Hopper 3 and 2 joeys.
In the past day my Hopper 3 is been rebooting on it's own and goes to a blank screen with my TV reporting no signal on HDMI 1 (Hopper HDMI).
I'm noticing it more when I've switched HDMI inputs on my TV to watch something on my ROKU and when I switch back, black screen and no response at all.
I've rebooted about 7-8 times today. Unplugged it for 5-10 minutes. Reseated all of the new cables. Tested wired internet connection, still 500Mbps.
When it goes to a blank screen none of the buttons (except reset) work. Nothing ever comes up on the screen until I unplug or hold reset in for a reboot.
When it was up I checked and software was up to date.
I'm so darn frustrated with this thing and I'd almost cut my finger off than call customer disservice because I've dealt with hem before and it is just so painful.
I'd say it's a bad Hopper, for sure

MY OTA channels, many of them, are mid 90's. However there are a few weak channels that I don't care about and never tune to. The OTA channels for the primary networks I do watch are always great though.
My 110 list is around 73'ish, my 119 list around 71; either way everything says 'locked'
Am I looking in the right place for that answer?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Is everything OK now?
Well, before the tech arrived today, I had 3 reboots on my old hopper 3.
It's only been a few hours but no reboots on my new hopper 3. Fingers crossed.
I'm restoring my recordings (via ethernet cable) to my new hopper from my old hopper but it's very slow. Considering a USB drive if I'm disappointed by the morning on what's been transferred.

I'm restoring my recordings (via ethernet cable) to my new hopper from my old hopper but it's very slow. Considering a USB drive if I'm disappointed by the morning on what's been transferred.
Glad things are looking better so far.

Reactions: marklyn
A usb drive won't work. Has to be an actual external hard drive. Ethernet is still the fastest method. It's a ton of data being transferred. And you are limited by the transfer rate of the hard drive itself.

A usb drive won't work. Has to be an actual external hard drive. Ethernet is still the fastest method. It's a ton of data being transferred. And you are limited by the transfer rate of the hard drive itself.
Actually, today, about 18 hours since I started the transfer, most of it is done, so I expect it to finish in the next few hours. Looks like ethernet transfer will work well after all.