Hopper 3 with only 2 TV's?

TheLazurus

Original poster
Nov 10, 2023
Kansas
I've been looking into moving to Satellite from Hulu with Live TV (since they keep raising the prices without raising the quality of service) and I was wondering if it's possible to get a Hopper 3 on the main 4K TV and a single Joey for another TV? My understanding is 4K content requires the Hopper 3.

I've been looking into moving to Satellite from Hulu with Live TV (since they keep raising the prices without raising the quality of service) and I was wondering if it's possible to get a Hopper 3 on the main 4K TV and a single Joey for another TV? My understanding is 4K content requires the Hopper 3.
4K Joeys are available but with so little 4K on Dish, most people skip it and stick with regular Joey. You might want to consider that before you make a jump from Hulu.

Reactions: HipKat
4K Joeys are available but with so little 4K on Dish, most people skip it and stick with regular Joey. You might want to consider that before you make a jump from Hulu.

The new Joey 4 does 4K content but Dish requires a Hopper + in order to provide a Joey 4. The older 4K Joey does not work with satellite HDR so none of the 540 channels work with a Joey 4K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new Joey 4 does 4K content but Dish requires a Hopper + in order to provide a Joey 4. The older 4K Joey does not work with satellite HDR so none of the 540 channels work with a Joey 4K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, they will work, in 4K, without HDR, which quite frankly is hard to tell most of the time.

Reactions: That American Girl
Well, I wouldn't miss much.
I'd sub with Peacock for Olympics.
Well I enjoyed watching the World Series, the Olympics, many college football games such as Ohio State football, Soccer World Cup, NASCAR races, and the Westminster Dog Show in 4K HDR on the 3 540 channels. All of this without having to pay for Peacock. The picture is great using HDR 4K. That is one of the reasons I have 2 Hopper3 receivers so that both of my Sony TVs can watch Dish 4K HDR content.
Plus HDR really makes a difference in the broadcast colors. In fact the picture improvement with HDR is much more evident than the picture difference between 1080i and 4K.

Nope. Insist on the Hopper 3. PERIOD. Be firm and don’t be afraid to say it’s a H3 or nothing , and if the installer shows up with anything else, it’s cancelled. Make sure you see the receiver, and it has a red stripe across the front. BEFORE you let him in the door.

It’s YOUR money.

Today, I suspect they’ll give you almost anything to subscribe.

The Tv with the Joey isn’t anything special, just a 1080p tv. The one with the Hopper in the front room will be the 4k one. Biggest issue is if you go online and say you have 2 TVs they’ll only give you a Hopper 2
That's the usual but sometimes they do it with hopper3. They will try to charge you a one time fee but if they do just tell them they can forget it and they'll start waiving stuff lol

Reactions: charlesrshell
Just to set the record straight. The 4K Joey (old style) cannot play the HDR programming on any of the 540 (Dishes 4K channels). Some have reported that they can play the recordings of such channels done by the H3 but the picture is washed out since the 4K Joey is incapable of interpreting the HDR portion of the recording.
In the Joey universe, only the Joey4 and the wireless Joey4 can display the live HDR 4K format on the 540 (4K) channels.

Nope. Insist on the Hopper 3. PERIOD. Be firm and don’t be afraid to say it’s a H3 or nothing , and if the installer shows up with anything else, it’s cancelled. Make sure you see the receiver, and it has a red stripe across the front. BEFORE you let him in the door.

It’s YOUR money.

Today, I suspect they’ll give you almost anything to subscribe.

I'm sure they have a warehouse full of H3's from all the customers that cancelled. They shouldn't be installing anything else at this point.