Replacement hopper 3; how long does transfers take?

marklyn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 24, 2023
Austin, Tx
Today a Dish tech stopped by and determined that my Hopper 3 rebooting issue is best solved by replacing the receiver.
After the new dish setup we connected an ethernet cable and attempted to transfer my 199 recordings to the new Hopper 3.
It took connecting and reconnecting the ethernet cables several times but the transfer finally started.
Questions for anyone who has gone through this...
Will my favorite channels transfer over?
Will the timer settings transfer over?
Will the folders I created for recordings transfer over?
Will other general settings transfer (ie: cc, etc)
It's been about 45 minutes and 2 shows (1 hour each) transferred.
I would have thought settings would transfer first so any timed recordings would happen while recordings are slowly being moved over.
I suppose I'll have to set up a few manual timers to catch shows in the next 24-48 hours since timers aren't copied over yet. Sound correct?
Suggestions and insight is appreciated.

Last edited:
Today a Dish tech stopped by and determined that my Hopper 3 rebooting issue is best solved by replacing the receiver.
After the new dish setup we connected an ethernet cable and attempted to transfer my 199 recordings to the new Hopper 3.
It took connecting and reconnecting the ethernet cables several times but the transfer finally started.
Questions for anyone who has gone through this...
Will my favorite channels transfer over?
Will the timer settings transfer over?
Will the folders I created for recordings transfer over?
Will other general settings transfer (ie: cc, etc)
It's been about 45 minutes and 2 shows (1 hour each) transferred.
I would have thought settings would transfer first so any timed recordings would happen while recordings are slowly being moved over.
I suppose I'll have to set up a few manual timers to catch shows in the next 24-48 hours since timers aren't copied over yet. Sound correct?
Suggestions and insight is appreciated.
The favorites and timers are backed up on your old 54 remote. You can recover them to the new Hopper by going to the diagnostic page, Press Home 3 times, then go down to Tools, go to Technician Settings, then select Restore DVR Timers.

Last edited:
OMG, thank you Bobby! The dish tech had told me something very different, that it would be copied with the recordings. He was with Dish for only 2 years so he seemed to stumble on other tech questions, so he probably faked it and didn't know.
My transfers seem to be going very slow, only 2-3 out of 199 total. Says 1 day for completion but at this rate I'm guessing that won't be the case.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Question, my original Hopper rebooted during the transfer so I'm assuming this will be a recurring issue trying to transfer over a couple of days.
Would it be faster to transfer all recordings over to an eSata drive and then copy them down to my replacement hopper?
Is that even possible?

OMG, thank you Bobby! The dish tech had told me something very different, that it would be copied with the recordings. He was with Dish for only 2 years so he seemed to stumble on other tech questions, so he probably faked it and didn't know.
My transfers seem to be going very slow, only 2-3 out of 199 total. Says 1 day for completion but at this rate I'm guessing that won't be the case.
Don't undersell your tech. Your timers, etc, may very well transfer over with the transfer. I've not done such a transfer but I do know that if they don't what I told you is a good backup.

Question, my original Hopper rebooted during the transfer so I'm assuming this will be a recurring issue trying to transfer over a couple of days.
Would it be faster to transfer all recordings over to an eSata drive and then copy them down to my replacement hopper?
Is that even possible?
The EHD will work but will be quite time consuming as well. Your Timers will definitely have to come off the original remote. I'd just let the transfer continue.

Don't undersell your tech. Your timers, etc, may very well transfer over with the transfer. I've not done such a transfer but I do know that if they don't what I told you is a good backup.
The timers were restored using the remote restore. Happy about that!
If my ethernet transfer from the old hopper to the new hopper becomes untenable am I able to use a USB drive from the old hopper, even though I can't get past the "searching for satellite signal" message or am I stuck?

So for anyone who cares, my transfer of 199 recorded shows, about 19% of the drive space, took from 4pm to 5:12am the next morning, roughly 11 hours via an ethernet cable connection from the old hopper to the 'new' hopper. I thought it was going to take much longer but happy that I finally got it working after a few unplugs of the ethernet cable and replugs :)
I'd also add that all of the recorded shows that copied over didn't copy to the 4 different folders I'd set up on the old Hopper but it was easy to use the "manage" recordings feature to mass move them to the correct folders. (the folders copied over but were empty)
Thanks everyone for your help/info provided.

Scuttlebutt says the ethernet cable transfer is the slowest way to transfer recordings. If the source receiver can copy recordings to an EHD, that method is much faster and you do not have to transfer them back to the internal drive to play them.