Do I Have A Case With Dish?

JayPSU

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Westerville, Ohio
I signed up with Dish about 3 weeks ago, and had I known the 722 was going to be coming out on August 15th, I would have just waited until then to sign up. Do I have a case to do a trade of the 622 for the 722 at no additional cost since I'm such a new customer and would have just waited until 8/15 had I known it was coming out then?

Don't think so. Were you happy with what you got when you signed up? My guess is yes (otherwise you wouldn't have signed up). Companies can't be expected to upgrade people for free every time they come out with a new product. Just use your 622 and love it. I know I love both of mine.

Don't think so. Were you happy with what you got when you signed up? My guess is yes (otherwise you wouldn't have signed up). Companies can't be expected to upgrade people for free every time they come out with a new product. Just use your 622 and love it. I know I love both of mine.

I understand what you're saying, but we're talking 3 weeks here, not a very long time at all. It's just frustrating to me because if I would have known, I would have just waited. Honestly, the only reason I even want the 722 is for HD VOD, otherwise I wouldn't care.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying, but there will be people in the same boat all the way up until the day before the 722 is released. I mean you can try calling, but I'm guessing you aren't going to get anywhere. As far as the HD VOD who knows when/if that will actually happen. That could be weeks, months, or years away. At that point you may even qualify for a free or low cost upgrade. I wouldn't get too worried about that until it is released. And now that external hard drive support will start this week the extra storage doesn't really matter.

Your out of luck. I wanted a Vip222 in place of my Vip211 4 days after I had my equipment hooked up. They said Not for free. It would have cost me another $150.This is the same story I had . I told them "If I had known" . And all they could say if for the upgrade I wanted,they wouldn't have been able to do it for the price they quoted.

Last edited:
722s will be available for both new and existing customers; existing via the Dish N' It Up promotion, and yes, with a fee. New as they become available may choose to activate with them. Noone is getting two (well, noone you know.) Pricing for the existing you can expect to range between $199 - $249.

722s will be available for both new and existing customers; existing via the Dish N' It Up promotion, and yes, with a fee. New as they become available may choose to activate with them. Noone is getting two (well, noone you know.) Pricing for the existing you can expect to range between $199 - $249.

Here you go again saying that no one can get something when they probably can. You also said that no one can have 6 leased tuners - I do, as do others. What about people that currently have 2 942s? You saying they aren't going to upgrade those people so that they can keep the Voom channels that are going to MPEG 4? Doubt it. But this argument is pointless because I know you will just come back with, that is policy, and all I can come back with is my situation breaks "policy". So I guess I'll stop now.

Here you go again saying that no one can get something when they probably can. You also said that no one can have 6 leased tuners - I do, as do others. What about people that currently have 2 942s? You saying they aren't going to upgrade those people so that they can keep the Voom channels that are going to MPEG 4? Doubt it. But this argument is pointless because I know you will just come back with, that is policy, and all I can come back with is my situation breaks "policy". So I guess I'll stop now.
I've already confirmed this with E*. You can upgrade anything you want ,but In this case its not going to be free. NO WAY!

Yeah, I understand what you're saying, but there will be people in the same boat all the way up until the day before the 722 is released. I mean you can try calling, but I'm guessing you aren't going to get anywhere. As far as the HD VOD who knows when/if that will actually happen. That could be weeks, months, or years away. At that point you may even qualify for a free or low cost upgrade. I wouldn't get too worried about that until it is released. And now that external hard drive support will start this week the extra storage doesn't really matter.

Very true, HD VOD COULD be a long way off, and probably is. I would assume they will worry about getting VOD in SD to work first while also adding more HD channels and sorting out some of their satellite problems. Perhaps I'll just buy an external HD and be happy with the extra DVR space for now and just wait and see. Btw, how much HD content can a 500gb drive hold? Also, will we be able to transfer our hard drives to future receivers as they come out?

Very true, HD VOD COULD be a long way off, and probably is. I would assume they will worry about getting VOD in SD to work first while also adding more HD channels and sorting out some of their satellite problems. Perhaps I'll just buy an external HD and be happy with the extra DVR space for now and just wait and see. Btw, how much HD content can a 500gb drive hold? Also, will we be able to transfer our hard drives to future receivers as they come out?

As far as how much the drives can hold it totally depends on what content you are talking about. MPEG 2 HD is somewhere around 10GB per hour, MPEG 4 is somewhere around 5-7GB per hour. But I would only use that as a guide, it will vary depending on the content.

There is no reason that we couldn't transfer external hard drive content to new receivers but who knows.

The only case you have with DISH is you signed a contract accepting the equipment furnished. At the time of signing you became an existing customer not a new customer. You lost all negotiating tools except quitting and paying the cancellation penalty.

When will the 722 be released? I am scheduled for an installation on 9/1. I called the rep and they said if it is available before my install i could get the 722 instead???

Call and ask for Executive Resolution Department. That way you will be speaking to a decision maker and not a phone droid. You might have a chance assuming that Dish would like to keep your business.

Are you still in the 30 day window to cancel? If so, couldn't you cancel and then sign up a short time later under a different phone number and name?

As soon as you sign your paperwork for the install, you are considered an existing customer and no longer a new customer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)