Do I have all the correct equipment for the new HD rollout?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Stalker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Kentucky
A tech just came out and upgraded my dish to the LNB 5 for the new HD channels.

My question is per Direct TV info check to see if you have all the correct equipment was

HD reciever...I have the H20
BBC Module-Bband converter...which I had but never was connected
LNB-5..which the tech installed today.

With the BBC module connected to the reciever there was no signal from the satellite so had to remove it too get signal from the satellite.

Does it need to be connected to my H20?
Was the new dish suppose to be pointed to the new satellite Direct TV launched for the HD expansion?

How do I know?

You will not need to move your dish. It will pick up the new satellite on its own. As far as I know you need the BBC module connected to get the additonal channels. If you were not getting satellite connection you may have had a bad BBC module. Contact DTV and they will tell you how to get a replacement. Good luck:)

Its working now!

Ok per chance I hooked the converter back up to the receiver and just let it look for the satellite and it took awhile but it did eventually work.

I also decided to reset the reciever to update the info...again it took it awhile to locate the new satellite but it d/l the info and is now working with the converter connected so I assume now that when the new HD channels are added I will be recieving them although I don't know how we will no.

Followup question??

I did some more checking with my receiver and discoverd in going through the satellite setup menu again that the selcted satellite installed was still my previous dish the oval 3 LNB and not the new one installed the 5 LNB Muti-Sat.

I updated that to the correct satellite and continued on thru the setup.

Low and behold they system check gave ok on 3 satellites but a fail messeg on the forth one "Satellite 99"

Can anyone tell me if this is the new satellite for the HD expansion and if so does that mean the tech did not positon the disch correctly or is it because the satellite is not functional yet?

Actually after writing this and going thru the setup the position of the dish is wrong according the setup guide, so I know the teck will have to called back out.

Last edited:
I've been on so many CE tests that they did correct the 99 sat detection in the unit but wasnt sure if that got nationally released or not. As iwc mentioned, dont worry about it if you are able to view all your channels. Hopefully that national release comes out.

If you tune to channel 499 and the BBC is working correctly, you should get a "searching for satellite" message. Yes, this sounds counter-intuitive, but it is actually looking for the Directv 10 satellite which will be launched later today.

If you are going to install a new 5LNB dish with the HDTV Directv receiver for your main TV (high definition) but have an older non HDTV receiver for your second TV (standard definition) do you need a B Band Converter for the stand def receiver also ??

Last edited:
If you are going to install a new 5LNB dish with the HDTV Directv receiver for your main TV (high definition) but have an older non HDTV reciver for your second TV (standard definition) do you need a B Band Converter for the stand def receiver also ??

I would have to say NO, as the older receivers will not be able to see the new sats anyway. The new sats being KU based and the older rec. only see KU signals.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)