Do I need a different dish?

FOOSE

Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Rochester NY
I have an old Super Dish left by Dishnetwork. Recently purchased a LNB for 110, 118.7 and 119, and DP44 switch, but for some reason I am not able to receive the signal. Is the SuperDish reflector different from those provided by dishnetwork for 110,118.7, 119 satellites, or I need to change something to be able to get the signal with SuperDish? Please, advise. Thanks

is the arm length the only difference between those dishes? How about pointing the dish? Is skew and elevation the same for superdish and 500Plus?

it depends on the lnb u boughgt what type may not work with the 44 switch
he bought a 500+ lnb, which will work of course.
and dak, the arm is the same, the only difference with the repoint lnb is the hardware needed to secure it on the arm.

foose,
did you hook up the power inserter for the 44 switch?
i am assuming you attached the lnb to your dish already, if you were able to do so, you may have purchased the repoint kit, and have another issue.
the dish will need to be moved slightly...superdish points slightly more east or west (cant remember which)
one last thing. make sure the cable from the 'f' port (118.7) is connected to the bottom input on the switch.
and dont forget to do a checkswitch!

yeah, I did all of this you mentioned. I purchased the correct LNBs, I have them checked against working dish along with the switch to rule out any equipment malfunctions. And yes, I used power inserter of course. This is more of a pointing issue than a hardware. Does anybody know if the Dish 1000 is the same type of a dish as 500Plus or it is also different. I was trying to utilize the old super dish, but so far was not able to succeed at all. No signal at all. I was using the skew and the elevation numbers form the 500Plus though :(
P. S , one more thing, the Superdish arm seems to be about an inch longer than the Dish500Plus arm

500+ and 1000+ have different skew and elevations.
a 1000+ is just a 500+ with the 129 lnb installed - same dish though.
if you dont have the 129 lnb on there, then you do want to use the 500+ skew and elev.
did you put a different arm on?
if so, i am not sure if it will work...it would work with the superdish arm if you used a REPOINT 500+ lnb.
I am sure somebody who knows more will pipe in.

I put a 500+ LNB on a SD when the 500+ first can out. Was not a kit and had to drill new mount holes to bolt it to the arm. Moved dish till I found 119, then checked 110, adjusted skew, ele and az for best signal on both and 118 came in good. My signals on 110/119 and 118 are better than the guy next door with a 500+

500+ and 1000+ have different skew and elevations.
a 1000+ is just a 500+ with the 129 lnb installed - same dish though.
if you dont have the 129 lnb on there, then you do want to use the 500+ skew and elev.
did you put a different arm on?
if so, i am not sure if it will work...it would work with the superdish arm if you used a REPOINT 500+ lnb.
I am sure somebody who knows more will pipe in.
so if this is the same dish thn it should work as good as 500+ with all the pointing numbers off 500+, correct?. I do not have the 129 lnb, I just need 110, 118.7, 119. I did not put a different arm because I dont have it. I drilled two holes on the SD arm and the LNBs fit the same as on 500+, but the arm itself is 1 inch longer on SD compared to 500+
I am a little confused, what is the repoint kit 500+? is this the new dish or new LNB, I know it sounds dumb, but this is what it is.

I put a 500+ LNB on a SD when the 500+ first can out. Was not a kit and had to drill new mount holes to bolt it to the arm. Moved dish till I found 119, then checked 110, adjusted skew, ele and az for best signal on both and 118 came in good. My signals on 110/119 and 118 are better than the guy next door with a 500+
what elevation, skew did you use? did you shorten the arm?

Do not shorten the arm, the SD is bigger and arm is longer. I did not change the skew from what it was till I found 119, then 110 was low, so the dish had to go up for best signal on 110, then changed the skew to get the best signal on both 110 and 119. 118 was good when both 110and 119 were peaked. I started with SD skew.
I never saw the kit,they were not out when I did it. I think the kit is the 110/118/119 assy with a hole pattern for the SD arm.
I did my setup with a 921, DP34 sw and ran the RF out to a 20in TV at the dish, never ran a switch check till I was done. I now have a old 1 M primestar dish for 110, SD for 118/119 and a 500 for 129 a DPP44 going to 2 622s and 1 612

FOOSE, Try these tips. set your EL and Skew for a 500+, but add a degree or two to the EL. SuperDishes are heavy and tend to sag. Make sure the collar is snug on the pole or mast..snug, but loose enough to spin the dish. Point the LNB arm towards the correct AZ for Rochester (you are using a compass right?), then move the LNB arm several degrees to the South (or left) and start looking for a signal. You should be able to pick up something.

well, after listening to all advices looks like I have finally succeeded. I ran small TV at the dish and was finally able to lock the signal. I had to change the elevation though compared to 500+ elevation, moved the dish up a little. Had some troubles getting 110 after all the other were locked, swapped the 1 and 2 inputs at the switch and now all satellites are OK. The signal seems to be stronger with the Superdish than with 500Plus. Thanks to ALL for your help.

well, after listening to all advices looks like I have finally succeeded. I ran small TV at the dish and was finally able to lock the signal. I had to change the elevation though compared to 500+ elevation, moved the dish up a little. Had some troubles getting 110 after all the other were locked, swapped the 1 and 2 inputs at the switch and now all satellites are OK. The signal seems to be stronger with the Superdish than with 500Plus. Thanks to ALL for your help.

:up:up:up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)