Do I need a land based phone line for service?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

lovesthewild

Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
I'm considering (and almost ordered) Directv. However, in the terms and conditions (glad that I actually decided to read one of theses) it states the receiver must be continuously connected to a land based phone line. Is this required? Can I have either dishnetwork or directv without one? All I have is a cell phone, so I may be stuck with cable (yuck).

Both myself and my mother use DirecTV without a landline and neither of us has any problems. We both do all of our PPV ordering online because it will go to all of the boxes in the house rather then just the one if you use the remote.

Bill

Last edited:
Thanks. I think what you are saying is that the only reason to have it connected to a land line is for pay per view. The terms and conditions say something about an additional $5 fee if it's not continously connected. That's what is confusing me.

When I called and ordered it I told them that it would be a cold day in heck before I had another land based phone line again. The sales person went through the reader about how it costs more to order things by phone, blah blah blah. They never said I HAD to have it.

Maybe with the older model recivers you HAD to have one for guide updates or software updates but that is speculation on my part.

Bill

When I called and ordered it I told them that it would be a cold day in heck before I had another land based phone line again. The sales person went through the reader about how it costs more to order things by phone, blah blah blah. They never said I HAD to have it.

Maybe with the older model recivers you HAD to have one for guide updates or software updates but that is speculation on my part.

Bill

Back in the day all the info was related to the access card so they needed a way to see what has been done (changed).

I'm considering (and almost ordered) Directv. However, in the terms and conditions (glad that I actually decided to read one of theses) it states the receiver must be continuously connected to a land based phone line. Is this required? Can I have either dishnetwork or directv without one? All I have is a cell phone, so I may be stuck with cable (yuck).

Just call them and let them know that you only have a cell, no landline.
Only difference will be as others have mentioned, you'll have to do your ordering over the phone or online.

There are alot of people without landlines now.

Jimbo

Thats correct the phone line is used for ordering ppv with D. With Dish its a different story they use the phone line for software updates. If a phone line is not detected they will charge you an extra $6 bucks.

Thanks. I think what you are saying is that the only reason to have it connected to a land line is for pay per view. The terms and conditions say something about an additional $5 fee if it's not continously connected. That's what is confusing me.

It is or was $5.00 on Dish. I was changing some wiring on one of my HR20s and dropped the phone line into the jumble of wires and couldn't find it. That was before the football season started and I have Sunday Ticket, never noticed anything different on that receiver.

The phone line thing is a way HSPs screw installers. They offer a certain pay rate for an installation BUT if the phone line is not connected they pay a little less.

Some even insist unqualified beginners run phone lines. If you want PPV you can do it on the internet....If you like CID on screen and you have that service with the phone company connect the line.

After I responded to a service call where the customer had no land line phone but wanted Caller ID I decided some CSRs did not understand the system they were operating.

No phones required!

Joe

Last edited:
I called Directv and they stated it was not necessary other than to order Pay per view events. I don't currently have plans to do that very often, so I'll use my cell pohone or internet to order if anything looks interesting. They are going to install the dish on Tuesday. I'm looking forward to that. Thanks for your help.

FYI...I do believe I read in the fine print on the dish network terms and conditions that they would charge $5 or $5.99 a month if there was no phone line attached. One of those hidden charges one needs to be aware of.

Thats correct the phone line is used for ordering ppv with D. With Dish its a different story they use the phone line for software updates. If a phone line is not detected they will charge you an extra $6 bucks.
Dish sends all its software updates through the satellites, nothing through the phone lines. Otherwise, how would the people not hooked to a phone line get these updates?

The charge is $5 and is charged only if you are not hooked up to a phone line or by ethernet to an internet connection, and if you have a dual-output receiver like the 625, 622, or 722 (these receivers can send one program to main TV and a different one to a separately hooked up TV).

Dish sends all its software updates through the satellites, nothing through the phone lines. Otherwise, how would the people not hooked to a phone line get these updates?

The charge is $5 and is charged only if you are not hooked up to a phone line or by ethernet to an internet connection, and if you have a dual-output receiver like the 625, 622, or 722 (these receivers can send one program to main TV and a different one to a separately hooked up TV).

DISH INFO ON A DTV SITE? THERE IS A LEAK SOMEWHERE!
Joe

Only thing the phone line is really used for anymore is PPV, CID, and to authorize big-ticket packages like NFL Sunday Ticket, and on that last one I'm not sure if you have to have for that anymore or not. At one time, when DTV was still joined at the hip with TiVo, the TiVo's HAD to have a landline as they couldn't complete their initial setup without it. So for DTV they would LIKE you to have one connected but it won't adversely affect your system if you don't.

If you have the latest national release, and you have a your IRD/STB/Receiver with an internet connection enabled, then that works the same as a telephone line. So no you don't need the telephone line if you have your Receiver on the Internet. You can order PPV's online with your account, this costs nothing and all your receivers will get the PPV purchase.

If you have the latest national release, and you have a your IRD/STB/Receiver with an internet connection enabled, then that works the same as a telephone line. So no you don't need the telephone line if you have your Receiver on the Internet. You can order PPV's online with your account, this costs nothing and all your receivers will get the PPV purchase.

Incorrect answer, the "IP Callback" feature status is:

- HR20-700 Still in the CE release cycle, is not in the national release. Added in CE 10:01, current CE release is 10:07 0x1E2
- HR20-100 Hasn't shown up in any release notes as an added feature
- HR21-700 Hasn't shown up in any release notes as an added feature

None of the other DirecTV STB's have an enabled ethernet connection so none of them have IP Callback at this time.

Incorrect answer, the "IP Callback" feature status is:

- HR20-700 Still in the CE release cycle, is not in the national release. Added in CE 10:01, current CE release is 10:07 0x1E2
- HR20-100 Hasn't shown up in any release notes as an added feature
- HR21-700 Hasn't shown up in any release notes as an added feature

None of the other DirecTV STB's have an enabled ethernet connection so none of them have IP Callback at this time.

Well if this is accurate then DBStalk is inaccurate, and again proves my suspicion and confirmation with DirecTV that they are not an authorized site, and it's dishonest employees whom are leaking misinformation to take credit and make money on that site.

Well if this is accurate then DBStalk is inaccurate, and again proves my suspicion and confirmation with DirecTV that they are not an authorized site, and it's dishonest employees whom are leaking misinformation to take credit and make money on that site.

In the spirt of this site with it's free and open communications I'll make this just as clear as I can, you are so full of sh*t it's not funny. We know you have an ax to grind with DBSTalk since you pissed off just about everyone over there and was asked to leave with your I know everything attitude.

And where do you come up with all your BS about DBSTalk making money on the CE process, it doesn't cost anyone a dime to register there and access the CE forum, folks only donate if they feel they get value from the information provide, just like this site (oh, have you donated here yet?).

Now back to your comment questioning the accuracy of the response I gave, please provide documentation that shows my answer is incorrect and yours is. That's the idea of this site, to give out accurate information, I got mine from the various release notes, where is your information coming from?

In the spirt of this site with it's free and open communications I'll make this just as clear as I can, you are so full of sh*t it's not funny. We know you have an ax to grind with DBSTalk since you pissed off just about everyone over there and was asked to leave with your I know everything attitude.

And where do you come up with all your BS about DBSTalk making money on the CE process, it doesn't cost anyone a dime to register there and access the CE forum, folks only donate if they feel they get value from the information provide, just like this site (oh, have you donated here yet?).

Now back to your comment questioning the accuracy of the response I gave, please provide documentation that shows my answer is incorrect and yours is. That's the idea of this site, to give out accurate information, I got mine from the various release notes, where is your information coming from?

You don't need to register with DBSTalk or any other site to download CE! If you had the technical knowledge you would know this. So it's clear you have issues with me, and I don't care. People will see through this and have the intelligence to see the truth.

I have not registered with CE, and download it without issues, so what do you say about that?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)