Do I need to change my distant local to Atlanta for CBS?

styxfix

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 7, 2003
Pacific Coast
Atlanta looks to be the only distant local which still has a CBS station. If I change my distant local from NY to Atlanta will I get my CBS station? Does DISH charge $5 to change your distant local city?

I thought that Charlie said on the CHAT that if you got your CBS from a distant local (like NY or LA) that you would still be able to see it. However, that seems to be not the case since these channels are both gone and so are the CBS-HD channels.

No, the distant CBS channels are still available at 243 and 244. They're just not available at 8001 and 8101 because those are the channels available in NY and LA.

JimW396 said:
Nope, your wrong. The CBS feed on 243 is gone as of this morning.
Jim

The CBS 243 feed is available as a Distant station only. If you have a Distant waiver, or an RV Truckers exemption then you KEEP the Distant feeds.

John

Funny, I have Chicago distant locals and L. A. distant locals , and I have a new channel numbered 8489 and called CBSCH. The regular channel number is 8491 and this channel is running the Charlie Ergan message about Viacom. They also added channel 243 from New York to my package. I don't sub to New York distant package. Weird huh? :yes

I watched CC lastnight and thought they said that unless you lived in one of
those cities, you would still receive your distant CBS. I'm in the
Burlington / Plattsburg DMA and do still get my CBS local but no longer get
the CBS HD. Are any of the other CBS "distants" in HD ?
Walt

no
CBS-HD is gone...period

If you have SD Distants, those got moved for distant customers only....Chicago moved to 8489, Denver moved to 8199, and I thought NY & LA moved to the 250 range.

CBS-W is gone for me here in the LA area. What channel was that on - 244 or something like that? I also have a waiver on file although I am not currently using it. I just checked the Dish website and it is still in their system - for CBS Chicago and NY. Will they let me change that to Atlanta and reactivate it?

I don't know about anywhere else John, but here in the Virgin Islands, CBS, 243, a distant, is not on the guide at all.

Jim

I have Denver and New York as distant locals, but CBS didn't get remaped to anywhere else on the guide. I don't have channel 8199 in my guide as a Denver CBS channel nor do I have a New York CBS in the 240 range. Do I not qualify for the remaped CBS stations because I live in one of CBS O. & O. areas? Perhaps it would be easier to change one of my distant locals to Atlanta. I would then at least have a CBS station.

I spoke to a Dish CSR today and was told that, "Yes, they did say on Charlie Chat that the Distant CBS feeds would still be available but when we came in this morning they had changed their minds and pulled them all."

I asked the CSR what kind of refund I would be getting and he told me that "You would receive $1 a month. The only people that will receive the extra $1 are in the Green Bay, Wisconsin area."

I don't understand, I pay $1.50 a month just for CBS and they are going to only refund $1?? Charlie doesn't even wear a mask for this heist! :confused:

FYI

I have NY distant networks. Just confirmed that channel 243 CBS is still there. The 8xxx channel of the same station has the "unavailable" banner.

NightRyder

CBS New York still up as a distant in Puerto Rico.

Ata boy Charlie, don't let these guys walk over you, they are loosing big with 9.5 million customers off at the moment.

Smoky said:
How many distant CBS local stations are offered,L.A.,N.Y,Denver...........

I live in a "white Area" Just pulled this from the address broker site. Notice that CBS is missing from NY and LA. Interesting...

New York ABC-WABC Eastern
New York NBC-WNBC Eastern
New York FOX-WNYW Eastern
Atlanta ABC-WSB Eastern
Atlanta FOX-WAGA Eastern
Atlanta NBC-WXIA Eastern
Atlanta CBS-WGCL Eastern
Chicago ABC-WLS Central
Chicago CBS-WBBM Central
Chicago NBC-WMAQ Central
Chicago FOX-WFLD Central
Denver ABC-KMGH Mountain
Denver FOX-KDVR Mountain
Denver CBS-KCNC Mountain
Denver NBC-KUSA Mountain
Los Angeles NBC-KNBC Pacific
Los Angeles FOX-KTTV Pacific
Los Angeles ABC-KABC Pacific

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
I live in a "white Area" Just pulled this from the address broker site. Notice that CBS is missing from NY and LA. Interesting...

New York ABC-WABC Eastern
New York NBC-WNBC Eastern
New York FOX-WNYW Eastern
Atlanta ABC-WSB Eastern
Atlanta FOX-WAGA Eastern
Atlanta NBC-WXIA Eastern
Atlanta CBS-WGCL Eastern
Chicago ABC-WLS Central
Chicago CBS-WBBM Central
Chicago NBC-WMAQ Central
Chicago FOX-WFLD Central
Denver ABC-KMGH Mountain
Denver FOX-KDVR Mountain
Denver CBS-KCNC Mountain
Denver NBC-KUSA Mountain
Los Angeles NBC-KNBC Pacific
Los Angeles FOX-KTTV Pacific
Los Angeles ABC-KABC Pacific

NightRyder

Thanks, NightRyder. I have waivers for CBS,ABC and FOX. Got turned down by my local NBC.

Thanks guys. I thought I had lost my cbs, but I guess since I signed up for CBS-hd I got the sd version on 243 too as a distant local. I guess that's what I pay 1.50 for. Can you sign up for CBS-HD with out signing up for the distant local?

I got through to Dish yesterday and had them activate the waiver I got from CBS last year. The person I talked with was very helpful and turned on CBS Atlanta for me right away. I told her I would keep it until my local CBS (KCBS Los Angeles) came back on. Ten minutes later it was there in my guide. Cool!

dlsnyder said:
I got through to Dish yesterday and had them activate the waiver I got from CBS last year. The person I talked with was very helpful and turned on CBS Atlanta for me right away. I told her I would keep it until my local CBS (KCBS Los Angeles) came back on. Ten minutes later it was there in my guide. Cool!

I was under the impression that everyone in a Viacom owned area had been given a blanket wavier for CBSHD. So does this mean that I also have a waiver to get a distant CBS?

I went and applied for a waiver in the system yesterday (should have done it a long time ago I guess).

Is there a web site where I can view what falls into what DMA? And where the white/grade b/grade A signals are?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)