Do I need to format my drive

Status
Please reply by conversation.

trehutch

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
Beaverton
So I just got an antech mx-1 and a seagate 1.5 TB drive. I loaded the drive into the enclosure. I have not powered ti up yet. Do I need to pre format the drive or just strat using it with my directv receiver.

Thanks

Trevor

You dont need to, and the receiver wont do a true "format" either.

I'm a bit old school and like to get a format on a drive before I stick it in a dvr. If you have an esata port on one of your computers, get a copy of Seatools and do a low level format/long smart test on it. I dont think they have a version of seatools that works with usb, but if they do you'd have that option if theres no esata port.

Disk makers generally do a test before they ship a drive, but a lot happens to them between when the get stuck in a box at the factory and when you get it at your house.

Drive fail on a very wide bell curve...either within the first few weeks or months or after 4-5 years of full time usage. Very few failures in between. A study done by Googles data center folks (so a lot of drives were involved) came to that same observation and noted that most drives that bit the dust early gave some particular SMART errors pretty early on in their usage.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...DyYMmOnmVqfnx1udw&sig2=DegEL33yBMI_g_oxfcYCzg

The dvr will basically just write a file system to the drive and keep writing. It might be months before some parts of the drive are written to.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)