Do I Need to move my AT&T Modem ?

sterly

Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
My DVR is in the living room, my Modem is in the office (I'm using an ethernet adaptor) but I was wondering if speed etc would improve if I moved and attached the modem directly to my DVR ? (I have 722 by the way with a sling attached)

I'm a woman (I say this so you don't get too tekkie on me - I'm fairly tech savvy but not a geek) - here's the thing, we have no landline and we have only one phone jack that is set up for the modem (it's in the office) - was wondering if I could string a long ethernet cable from the modem in the office to the DVR ? would that work ? is it even worth doing ?

Hope I explained that okay

Cheers

Kay

Yes it would improve the speed.That said we have one direct connected and one using the wifi adapter and both work fine.imo I wouldn't go to all that trouble unless you are having issues.

Thanks for the advice. We are having some issues with remote access actually, that is why I started thinking about this. My husband is out of town for couple of weeks (almost every month so it's a regular thing) and using remote access where he is. I have had to reset the DVR maybe twice each day as it suddenly won't let him change channels etc. and he has been unable to watch any recordings on our DVR or Hard Drive. Anybody have any ideas on this ? - we have AT&T Fiber Optic Internet and a 722 with a sling attached.

Cheers - Kay

Not sure of the modem model (I'm not home right now) but it's an AT&T U-Verse fiber optic if that helps and last speed test I did the other day yielded 1.16mbps
- pretty woeful really.

Hate to change lanes right now - but have another question - we have sling adapted to our 722 and we used it (remotely) a couple of months ago with great success while on vacation in another state. However, when we tried it again for remote access - we could not access the DVR (we had no problems with this last time) and also, we kept having to have our housesitter reset the dvr (unplug and plug back in etc) in order for us to change channels. Anyone experience this ? and do you have any advice or tips ? thanks so much

That speed doesn't sound correct for U-verse.If it is your true speed you would be very lucky to get the sling to work at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)