Do I really need someone to come out or can I do this myself?

pogipogi

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
warrenton, va
I have a solo 211k box in my basement, and a dual 222k in my family room that also feeds my master bedroom tv.

I would like to have a DVR in our family room, and I know I can make my 211k into a DVR by adding an external drive so that is what I would like to do. However, Dish said they would have to send a tech out to rewire my house. Apparently, I can't just move the boxes around. I was looking in our On Q box (where all the wires come into the house) and I see two wires coming into (or out of) a diplexer, with a single wire on the other side. And then I also have another single cable joined by a double-male adapter (forgive me if I'm using the wrong terms...) connecting to another single cable. Is it just a matter of switching some of these cables around to be able to move my 211k up to my family room, and have my 222k control my basement and master bedroom tvs, or do I really need a tech to do this?

I can take a picture of my On Q box if it will help.

Keep in mind a diplexer and a separator are two very different things, although they look similar.

DSC_2731.JPG
OK, I moved the wires out of the box. Basically, they come from out of the ceiling in my basement, and go back up from where they came. that's pretty much all I know. I do know when he installed the system, he had to do some wiring in my wall outlets too because this was a new construction house that was "wired for cable" I was told, but hopefully I won't have to touch that.

That's what I'm not sure of, since both ends come and go from the same place and the area is finished with drywall now. Is there a way I can test which side goes to the receiver without breaking anything?

Sorry, bear with me while I'm trying to figure out how to use the thing. When I touch both the black and red styluses to either side, the light lights up +DC. However, I suspect I'm doing something wrong because according to you it should only be one side that is hot. I must be using this tool wrong. Thanks for sticking with me though.