Do i really need the Dish Home Protection Plan

Robdoggz

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
Stockton, Ca
I am leasing one 311 and one 211 i was wondering what do i really need the Home Protection Plan plan for? What does it do for me leasing? If the reciever breaks or the dish breaks do i need to pay for anything if i dont have this plan? I am thinking of canceling it because now i need to switch from dish latino HD plantinum to dish hd plantium "in order to view new hd channels in future" So i will have to fork over $12.49 more and was looking to ditch the Home Protection Plan along with my superstation pack to break even should i even need this plan?

I echo what BFG says. Don't worry about it until you have a problem. When you do, call and add it, then report your problem.

hehe great idea thanks im going to cancel it on the 25th when my billing cycle starts over and i will cancel my super station pack and get the dam hd plantinum + latino i better not loose any of the latino stuff or its my A$$ my mom will freak out lol :eek: I will atleast gain several english channels i want like biography channel haha.

Wouldn't any CSR be able to see that you just subscsribed to it and you are reporting a problem on the same day? Its $6 a month for gods sakes, it not $100. If you are going for HD Platinum I find it hard to believe you can't fork over another $6/month. I can't see how Dish would fix a problem after activating the DHPP so soon...just my 2 cents though. I am sure people on here have done it though...

I thought that for the first 30 days, it won't work. You only have protection after the first 30 days. At least that's how I understand it. Is there anyway for them to tell when a problem occured and then deny you your coverage if they see that it happened before you purchased the protection? Just a thought. I have it and have debated on whether to get rid of it or not. It's sort of a waste of $6 bucks. That could buy me lunch one day.

This makes no sense to me. I have leased my equipment for years and gone through PVRs (about 4 DVR-501s), bad LNBs, dish re-allignment, etc. I have not been charged for any repairs or replacements - ever. I thought the fee was just for subscribers that buy equipment. Maybe I am wrong.

That's because your lease plan includes the warranty

In February of 2004 they changed the lease plan to DHA and dropped the included warranty

It is active immediately. No need to wait. In fact, some CSRs even suggest adding it when you call with an issue. Honestly, they don't care, it isn't their money.

BFG said:
That's because your lease plan includes the warranty ...
If you are leasing I do not believe your dish, LNB's, and cabling are covered without the warranty.

Am I mistaken?

Last edited:
Dish would not been dumb enough to lease you equipt and then loose your account if you had equipt go bad, they will keep you on with a replacement. That is why I leased my 622, I don;t have to pay the monthly warranty like I did on my dvr 508 which I owned. Lets see 6 bucks a month for 2 years 6x24=144.00 I paid for a warranty in 2 years. Dumb

scott78945 said:
Wouldn't any CSR be able to see that you just subscsribed to it and you are reporting a problem on the same day? Its $6 a month for gods sakes, it not $100. If you are going for HD Platinum I find it hard to believe you can't fork over another $6/month. I can't see how Dish would fix a problem after activating the DHPP so soon...just my 2 cents though. I am sure people on here have done it though...

Scott you see i had the dish latino hd plantinum i just upgraded to that package a month ago got pro rated and now i need to upgrade again to the regular plantinum hd pack and now add $12.49 for the latino stuff just so i can recieve any new hd stuff i am looking to keep my bill at or around 110-125 wich is was going to be untill they fooked us over they should have atleast let the latino packages be around a few more months. So i need to drop some stuff to re coup what they are trying to take extra.

lakebum431 said:
It is active immediately. No need to wait. In fact, some CSRs even suggest adding it when you call with an issue. Honestly, they don't care, it isn't their money.

This is exactly what happen to me a couple months ago. I started having problems w/ the LNB. I call in tech support and ask the person on what options I could have to get the problem fix. He recomended that I added the DHPP. I added it and setup an appointment on the same call. I even ask the CSR if I could cancel it at any time (as it is month by month); he said yes.

BFG said:
no.

you can add it if you have a problem but no need to pay monthly for it

Well BFG is right but when enough people start doing that then they will make it where you have to keep it like one year or something like that. IMO

they haven't for the several years they've offered it, so I wouldn't worry to much...

:) i would keep it and if you don't have the dhpp get it now! the lease warranty is very limited to that recever. and only for certain problems. it has paid for its self many times over!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)