Do I really want to do this?

safetyfastmg

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
Planning to switch to Dish from Comcast when we move in the next few weeks, but do I want to? How's the picture quality, customer service, etc??
Picture quality on cable is great, but Comcast's rates keep going up, thus the move. I pay $120 a month for one HD DVR, with only digital basic and about 6 HD channels plus HSI, and another non- HD, non-dvr converter box, and received a notice that rates would be going up again. Any other TVs only receive basic cable channels.

How many TVs? What packages are you interested in? I love the picture quality I get with Dish Network but their customer service is not great but that's the standard with today's customer service from any company.

You'll pay $53/mo. initially (10 months) for E*'s top package and a 2-tuner DVR (the 622) that also offers OTA capabilities. There are also additional leasing and DVR fees plus tax. The DVR and installation are now "free". That will get you 250+ channels including one premium package and about 28 "HD" channels. That "HD" is so-called "HD-Lite" that has a diminished PQ for many channels in comparision to what you're probably used to receiving from cable, but for many of us it is very watchable. (You'll still get your best possible HD via OTA, so do explore that possibility.) Check this link for the current offering:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/our_products/dish_hd/offer/index.shtml

Customer service is about the same as anywhere else, good and bad. You'll hear mostly the horror stories in this forum, but I have never had a bad experience. I love the 622 and most of the programming.

Welcome, BTW...!

I have four TVs. (actually 5, but one is a garage tv that I'll just piggy back) One thng that also attracted me to Dish was the ability to inexpensively add two TVs, whereas with cable, it was expensive to rent two more boxes. I'm looking at the 250 package, most likely with HD.

PQ is better than cable but HD pq will be better through an ota source.

Customer service is about what you would expect and have gotten from comcast but atleast its better than the customer service that charter has.

Dish's rates go up once a year but be sure to watch your bill if you get on a promo as some of these stagger the monthly cost and others negate part of the monthly price until three months later.

When ever you talk to anyone at dish ALWAYS get the csr's operator ID so that you have something to fall back on when a promised treat doesnt come about.

Well that is a tough call! I currently have both comcast and dish and I can't honestly say one is clearly better then the other. My thoughts about the two:

Overall picture quality: Edge Comcast(mostly because I use my TV's QAM tuner for the SD channels and it blows Dish away), HD picture is very close.

Programming: Edge Dish. This is also close, but the extra HD channels(VoOM) gives them an advantage in my Opinion.

Pricee and Value: Even. Dish has slightly better price value, better DVR, On-screen guides. Comcast has slightly better local programming choices(Local sports, more HD local networks, local weather) and real Video-on-Demand.

Eventually, I have to keep just one......it will be close call.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)