Status
Please reply by conversation.

piperut

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Hello Folks,

Do I want to get a FTA receiver?

We had VOOM, until it went Tango Uniform. We had Dish Network, until they dropped OLN (the channel that carries hockey).

One of the local guys who sells satellite systems (actually he still sells a BUD once in a long while, if someone really wants one, he is the only one left in the area that sells BUD's now), is going to be at the house tomorrow to install Direct TV. I think the plan is to put the Direct Dish on the Dish TV mount.

So, I am wondering if I want to see about hooking up a FTA receiver to the Voom Dish, and pointing it at something like one of the Telstar birds, or if we could point it at a Canadian bird and get CBC, or seeing if he could put a rotor on it or something?

Would this work? Is it worth doing?
Or would I need a larger dish?

Thanks in advance,
roland

One other thing, I am in Utah. Almost right on 41 degrees north (not far off that line, just a few houses away.)

If that helps with the size of the dish.

roland

So far I haven't been able to find any CBC or other canadian programming on Ku band. Not a single hockey game to be found. Perhaps C band would have something to offer. Or maybe I just haven't found it yet.

Thanks TiminMB,

That helps some. I was wondering if there would be any hockey on the FTA recievers.

One thing about having a BUD years ago... and well, I sort of miss CBC news, and well, the causic personality of Don Cherry on HNIC. Anyway, if there is no hockey on a FTA receiver, I am not sure it would be useful.

The other part of the question, is would it work with the Voom dish, or would I need a larger dish on the mount? I think it is a 24 inch dish, and the guy that does the installs was saying it really should be a 30 inch dish around here.

Right now, I am having Direct TV put in. I ended up gettng the HD receiver. Not really sure if that was a good plan or not, but thats what I did.

I am not sure about the FTA receiver. I have two mount on the roof for satellite dishes now. If you find hockey games, I can always have the one that is not in use for direct tv hooked up to a FTA receiver later.

Thanks,

roland

Maybe it might be better for you to get some canadian satellite if it's cheap enough.

BTW it's good to see hockey back by the time the super bowl is over unless you like nba there isn't anything till baseball starts up!

It was a thought, if I had two mounts for a dish, to use one for a FTA dish, and one for Direct TV. However, if CBC, and the hockey feeds are scrambled - then it might not be worth the money for the FTA receiver.

I will have to think about this one, as I think there might be other programming up there. I am not sure what it would take to get the one mount working with a FTA receiver. I will have the guy look when he is there tomorrow. He does sell a FTA receiver that he says works fairly well. He said it is mostly international programming on there, and not English programming.

roland

Status
Please reply by conversation.