Do I want a FTA system?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

leejp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
Posted this once before but I think the computer ate my homework... here it goes again...

Dish Network is my TV service provider primarily because of the Korean programming. But $36.99/Month for 4 channels is a bit painful. Plus the program guide is so utterly incorrect that I don't even bother with it.

Did a little poking around here and looks like with a FTA Satellite setup, for the cost of the equipment ($300 or so), a 36" dish in the backyard and some technical hair pulling... I can get ~1/2 dozen Korean TV stations including KBS World and SBS for FREE legally? Too good to be true almost. What other programming is available FREE legally? Any major networks or CATV channels? HDTV?

Do these dishes require a wider swath than the two Dish Network dishes I got? I have a reasonably clear sight to the southwest from my house (Upstate, NY). I'm interested in the followng 3 satellites...

* Galaxy 10R: KBS America
* AMC4: SBS-TV, TAN-TV, YTV
* IA5: JSTV, KISB-1, YTN

What's better, a motorized dish or the wave frontier multi feed antenna? I assume the latter would have less lag changing from a channel on one satellite to another but the drawback would that it can only "point" to a fixed # of satellites (5), correct?

Is there an on line program guide available?
DVR? I like the PCI card setup for a HTPC but see no dual tuner cards are available. I'll most likely start out with an inexpensive standalone receiver setup but if I like it enough... I'll go all out.

How painful is the installation/setup? Much harder than a DBS system? Tools required? I plan on planting the dish in my backyard (on a concrete base + aluminium pipe).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts