Do you have to get locals?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hometheaterman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
Do you have to get local channels now? I don't see the package listed without them on their site. I have the Top 200 package right now and I really only watch the local channels through my OTA antenna. I can get them OTA in HD yet Dish only has them in SD. I don't use the ones through the satellite at all. Can I cut them off? If so is it still $5.99 a month I'd save? Or do I have to have them with this package now?

I guess since I have this thread already I will ask this question even though I'm pretty sure I know the answer. Do you still not get guide info if you use OTA local channels on a 722 if you don't subscribe to the local channel packages? I just don't see it being worth $5 though to have the guide info when I only watch 3 shows on those channels so I will probably cut them off anyway as I can set a manual timer for 3 shows.

You can get rid of the locals. Some marketing companies still send out direct mail pieces with the $19.99 price point for Top 120. When we process a customers claim we still have the option to take off the locals.

Well, I canceled my locals but did keep one of the super stations. Only reason for that is that I watch two shows at the same time on OTA channels. One on CW and one on NBC. Since both are OTA I can only record one at a time. I kept CW on Dish so I could record it and NBC at the same time.

One thing I think really is stupid is that you can't get the guide info for local channels without subscribing to locals from Dish. Yet the digital conversion boxes that you use for OTA on a sd tv all can get guide info for free and not cost you a dime. Seems like Dish could stop being soo greedy and let you have the guide info. Oh well, it's not a huge deal as like I've said I really only watch like 2 shows on OTA so it's not a huge deal.

All of the locals appeared on my guide once I scanned for them on the 622. Titles, descriptions, everything. I set timers for them just like dish programming. 722 different?

You know...I installed two OTA antennas and received programming from DC, Baltimore, Richmond and Charlottesville VA and remember getting the guide data free of charge on my 811 receivers. But I recall having to pay for locals in order to get guide data after buying our 622s. To be honest, I always watched my OTA channels since they provided a superior picture. There is no reason why Dish cannot provide guide data for customers receiving their local via OTA. Dish would rather force their customers into paying $6 for local guide data each month rather than pass it along free of charge (it cost them almost nothing) and winning loyalty points.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts