Votes: 19 25.0%

• Total voters

Nevada_MO_Guy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Nevada, Missouri
Hello All,

I'm getting ready to take the HD plunge.

I'm leasing a 510 right now with a Dish 500, so I'll need a new dish and switches.

I am curious to see how many people have bought their receivers and if they think it was worth it.

It's a mixed-bag for me. Presently I'm leasing an 811 and 311, but I bought a 622 for $499 primarily to be able to activate it now rather than waiting for my 12-mo. commitment on the 811 to expire. Also, since the right equipment was already in place this was a very easy "installation" so there was no need to get a tech involved. In my case the money savings with the purchase comes from the fact that I can for now stay with my "grandfathered" HD Pack with voom for $15 a month and not have to immediately upgrade to a "metallic" package like HD Bronze as a minimum that would cost me at least an additional $20 per mo. beyond the extra $18 I just added to my bill with the activation. And I don't have an 18-mo. commitment associated with it. With this package I don't get any of the new MPEG-4 channels, but the 7 currently available aren't worth the difference to me at this time. When my HD LiLs are available (about 2 years) then I will upgrade to a metallic package. Also - I figure I can always sell the 622 at some point to recoup part of that investment.

You already recognize the need for another dish and possibly a switch. You should probably let a tech handle that. Also, as a new HD customer you won't have the option for the old cheaper HD programming, so that's not a benefit available to you. If it weren't for the fact that I had that option I probably would have waited until I could (Dec.) then I would have just dumped the 811 and leased the 622. YMMV

Welcome, btw, and BRgds...

Last edited:
I'm one of the confused, but I lean toward OWNED equipment.

I own my ViP622 and 921 and lease my 522. (Only bcuz there was no OWN option at the time they(522)'s came out.

Owning is good if you plan on being a long-time customer.(In concept)

You save lease fees that can pay for the cost of the rcvr over time. The only drawback of this is that the equipment turnover rate to newer and better technology is usually shorter than the investment return. If you like to live on the bleeding edge, this is going to cost you money.

Lastly, if you own a unit, you can change its appearance by painting it to match your decor or possibly even modifying the case for better cooling without voiding the lease agreement.(There is a grey area here, but so far you can still do this to owned equipment and not to leased) :D

And at the end of time, you can sell your rcvr and recoup more of your money. Leasing does not.

Lease Fee or No Lease Fee... That is the question...

Well....looks like it's neck-n-neck heading down the strech (guess the Derby fever has me).

I lease - always have done the "break-even" calculation & seems to be cheaper to lease given the fact that the HW needs to be updated after about 3 years....to each his own.

I've always purchased, and for the most part have made back what I have paid for the equipment. The only exception so far for me will be the 942 that Dish hosed us owners on. And probably down the road, I will lose on the 622's since they dropped the price so quick.

I purchased my 622 after the price drop. It replaced 3 receivers (501, 508, 811). Because the 622 is now my only receiver it just made more sense to buy.

NightRyder

Cold Irons said:
the HW needs to be updated after about 3 years.
I noticed that the dishes are changing very fast.

I've had a 500 for over 7 years, my brother just got his service about 6 months ago and has a SuperDish.

That Scott Fella, on here, talks about the 500+, 1000+ and 1000.2 dishes More Dishes

Just seems like alot of changing going on.

Mark_AR said:
...You save lease fees that can pay for the cost of the rcvr over time. The only drawback of this is that the equipment turnover rate to newer and better technology is usually shorter than the investment return...
I don't think that is true with the 622. If you own it the lease fee is replaced with an "access fee" or equivalent, so there is no payback for a purchase vs. a lease in that case unless you have a situation like I described in my earlier post. Someone please correct me if that's wrong...

I own because I don't like anything leased. I don't lease my cars and I don't like leasing to someone else. I would rather own and then trade in for newer receivers at the dishdepot.com to get the newest receivers. I traded both of my 942s in there and got $200.00 for each receiver. I was one of the first people to be put on the waiting list and Mark wouldn't do 942 trade ins now for anyone , but I have done numerous trade-ins there and upgraded each time for the newest receivers, dishes, lnbs etc.

I would rather own than lease on anything although I might consider a lease deal on my wife though. I might like a newer model. JUst kidding.:D

bhelms said:
I don't think that is true with the 622. If you own it the lease fee is replaced with an "access fee" or equivalent, so there is no payback for a purchase vs. a lease in that case unless you have a situation like I described in my earlier post. Someone please correct me if that's wrong...

When this doesn't apply is when the 622 is your only receiver, if that's the case you still have to pay the $6 a month lease fee under DIU.

NightRyder

I looked at my bill and there is a $5 second rcvr access fee but the DVR fees are waived.

As soon as I know the 622 is stable, I'll dump the 522 and sell the 921. Then I won't have to pay the extra fee.

Thanks for pointing out my error. :)

If you have the correct dishes, switches, and LNBs to receive HD off of your present setup, and you are not trading in a 921/942 to get the $99 lease deal, then buying is the clear better choice, IMHO.

You choice would be $299 for a leased 622 or $499 to buy one. If you pay $499 for one, then you are getting a piece of equipment that you could easily sell for $400-$450 at anytime. So your net loss is only $50-$100. Plus you have no programming commitment and your monthly charge will be lower (in some cases by only $1, but perhaps $6).

If you lease, you pay the entire $299, have no residual value, have an 18 month programming commitment (that will cost you $13.33 per month to break early), and pay a higher monthly fee.

So the $299 lease is a terrible deal as compared to a $499 purchase ... . HOWEVER if you have to purchase a new dish, a new switch, and pay for an installation, then that could swing the deal back in favor of the lease.

The $299 lease charge on a $499 product has got to be one of the world's worst deals for a lease. I've never seen another offer where the lease upfront charge was 60% of the purchase price. Of course, if you are getting $200+ of services and switches, then that considerably sweetens the deal for the lease.

And if you are trading in a leased 921 or 942 and getting the leased 622 plus the dish upgrades and installations for $99, then that's a very good deal.

Last edited:
Tom Bombadil said:
...And if you are trading in a leased 921 or 942 and getting the leased 622 plus the dish upgrades and installations for $99, then that's a very good deal.
I agree and that's what I did (although, I didn't need new dishes or switches)... The $99 deal also beat comparable programming and equipment from Comcrap in my area.

I leased my 942 when I first signed on to E* and it's likely that I'll continue to lease/upgrade vs. buy. Given how E* introduced this last round of new STB's, it just seems like much less of a hassle to go the lease route.

I'm also glad to hear that, based on Scott's initial reports, I won't have to upgrade any of my antennae or LNB's to continue receiving my programming. :up

Last edited:
My owned 622 should be here in a few days. If (not likely) I decide HD isn't for me or I determine it doesn't make a difference on my old RPTV (possible) I can always sell it and reactivate the 522. I'm not out the $299 upgrade and I'm not obligated to a "metal" HD pack for the next 18 months.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)