Do you leave EHD plugged in?

I leave mine plugged in and connected all the time but have it powered off until I need it.

I use a smart surge protector that automatically turns my EHD and soundbar on/off when I turn my TV on/off. So far, this has worked very well. I don't see a need to keep the EHD running when it's not in use.

There is obviously no need to, but I don't want to have to reach behind the cabinet when I want it on, just hit the button and voila!

I don't have to reach anywhere. The smart surge protector turns the EHD off/on automatically. All I do is turn the TV on and the EHD comes on all by itself. Accordingly, it turns itself off when I turn the TV off.

The smart surge protector has 4 ports that only provide power when the TV is on. It has a master port where the TV is plugged into that senses when the TV is on or off. Additionally, it has an "Always On" port for the Dish receiver. It can't get any easier or more convenient than that.

Actually an external HDD plugged in 24/7 will probably provide the best chance of the HDD lasting the full 5 years (at least 5 years guaranteed by quality HDD makers) : a constant supply of electricity; most drives will spin down and then back up when necessary. If one is accessing the drive pretty regularly or frequently, leaving it on 24/7 is probably best.

However, I don't use my several external HDD often enough for me to leave on all the time as it wears out the pretty light on the HDD as it grows more and more dim. It works out better for me to just power them on when I access them, then power back down when not in use for MONTHS at a time. Each time it is powered up is a stress and wears it, but I access a particular HDD so infrequently, that the power cycles won't take their toll before the drive dies a most likely natural death.

I have an IOMega external and leave it on all the time. It goes to sleep when idle. When I go to save something on it there is a delay and I can hear the drive spinning up. It does not get warm. I did nothing to the out of the box configuration - just plugged it in and let the receiver format the drive.

I leave mine on 24/7. Of course, since I have a 211k, I have to. Unlike the 722, the EHD is the main drive on a 211k.

I have never bought or used a ready-made EHD. I've always assembled my own. Mainly because I want to pick the case as well as the drive. Every EHD I've ever assembled, I've used a fan cooled aluminum case. Out of 5 EHDs in the last 4 years, I've only had one failure... and it was only intermittent failure on the oldest drive.

Reliability should always be considered before price for drives that must be on 24/7. Cheaper "ready-made" drives have a place, just not in the 24/7 arena. Just MHO.

Cheers

.....However, I don't use my several external HDD often enough for me to leave on all the time as it wears out the pretty light on the HDD as it grows more and more dim. It works out better for me to just power them on when I access them, then power back down when not in use for MONTHS at a time. Each time it is powered up is a stress and wears it, but I access a particular HDD so infrequently, that the power cycles won't take their toll before the drive dies a most likely natural death.
+1

Just to followup on my question....I bought this 1tb hard drive for $70 and I am pleased so far. The drive is very quite and doesn't get hot at all. I plan to leave it plugged in all the time because I noticed the drive spins down when not in use. Also, with 1tb of storage I figure I can get 200-300 HD movies on this drive. That's going to be real nice to have.

One caution about having the EHD plugged into the receiver: the reboot will be delayed 5 to 40 minutes while the receiver accesses the drive continually when it should just reboot. What it is doing I have no idea. Thus I try to be sure the EHD is off at reboot time. I do dodge the reboot time to avoid reboots while recording because not rebooting for more than 24 hours will have access problems.

I have used 2 method for multiple drives.
(1) All EHDs plugged into two power strips to switch them off and then plugging in the right color-coded USB cable, one of 8, to one of 2 722s. It is rather like the old telephone switch board. The problem is all drives get turned on and use power.
(2) All USB cables go to an unpowered 10-way hub. Then I power up one of the EHDs--no switch, just the plug. The problem is it is not easy to work both 722s at the same time. As a compromise, 2 or 3 drives have direct access to the receivers.
Three drives are used in the stand, 1 at a time, currently they are 1, 1.5, and 2TB.

Lots of permutations.
-Ken

One caution about having the EHD plugged into the receiver: the reboot will be delayed 5 to 40 minutes while the receiver accesses the drive continually when it should just reboot. What it is doing I have no idea. Thus I try to be sure the EHD is off at reboot time. I do dodge the reboot time to avoid reboots while recording because not rebooting for more than 24 hours will have access problems.

(1) All EHDs plugged into two power strips to switch them off and then plugging in the right color-coded USB cable, one of 8, to one of 2 722s. It is rather like the old telephone switch board. The problem is all drives get turned on and use power.
(2) All USB cables go to an unpowered 10-way hub. Then I power up one of the EHDs--no switch, just the plug. The problem is it is not easy to work both 722s at the same time. As a compromise, 2 or 3 drives have direct access to the receivers.
Three drives are used in the stand, 1 at a time, currently they are 1, 1.5, and 2TB.

Lots of permutations.
-Ken

I've just never seen that.

Lots of permutations.
-Ken

I'm pretty sure it's running fsck upon reboot to check the disk out and make sure it is in good condition. Probably wouldn't hurt to let it run every once in a while when you're not using the receiver.

Ok, really dumb question here but I was thinking about getting an EHD for my 722k. Where do I even start to look at one at what store? Wal-Mart? Best Buy? Who, what, when, where and why? What do I look for? Price range? Thanks

I'm pretty sure it's running fsck upon reboot to check the disk out and make sure it is in good condition. Probably wouldn't hurt to let it run every once in a while when you're not using the receiver.
I have the impression that the file system on the EHD is very simple--contiguous files only with no file fragments/extensions, a real pain as you get close to full, and is designed to survive disconnects even while being accessed--not recommended. Contiguous also means it does not work well with files are changed often.

(Aside, does the 211 use this or a FS like the internals as fragmentation would be a problem with activity. Oh well that's why their programmers get paid the big bucks, I should hope. Curious, is this why EHDs and 211 externals are not compatible?)
-Ken

To Andy_Horton, I look on dealmac or dealnews for bargains usually at newegg or other vendors, not retailers. $40/TB + $10 for a case, now.

I have the impression that the file system on the EHD is very simple--contiguous files only with no file fragments/extensions, a real pain as you get close to full, and is designed to survive disconnects even while being accessed--not recommended. Contiguous also means it does not work well with files are changed often.

(Aside, does the 211 use this or a FS like the internals as fragmentation would be a problem with activity. Oh well that's why their programmers get paid the big bucks, I should hope. Curious, is this why EHDs and 211 externals are not compatible?)
-Ken

To Andy_Horton, I look on dealmac or dealnews for bargains usually at newegg or other vendors, not retailers. $40/TB + $10 for a case, now.
Thank you!

Ok, really dumb question here but I was thinking about getting an EHD for my 722k. Where do I even start to look at one at what store? Wal-Mart? Best Buy? Who, what, when, where and why? What do I look for? Price range? Thanks
Here is a link to the drive I ordered from Newegg.

Newegg.com - Western Digital Elements 1TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive WDBAAU0010HBK-NESN

I highly recommend Newegg, best internet retailer there is. I have ordered from them well over 50 times. If you use their cheapest shipping option you will get your order in 3 days, every time!

All my EHDs are plugged into a power supply. In the MB they must be strarted/stoppped by their power switch when I wish to use them. In the TV/theater room they are plugged into the Audio receiver and come on/off with the remote power button for the audio Receiver.

I also use the WD Elements 1TB EHD on my 211K. It works great and runs cool and quiet. B&H Photo lists limited supplies at $68.99 with free shipping in the USA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts