Do you leave EHD plugged in?

mfoster711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
College Station, Tx
I bought an EHD to use with my 722. Since you have to use a powered EHD, I was wondering if everybody left it plugged in all the time. I fear this would eventually lead to overheating or a crash if I did.

Although I preached turning it off all the time, I found myself not doing it...two years later, still going strong. I think it depends on the housing. I bought a separate, aluminum enclosure which help dissipate the heat. The plastic ones, like the WD's, I think I would turn off.

I have multiple drives, but try to leave my 622 hooked up to an older Seagate drive that will go to sleep...
I thought they would NOT go to sleep? I thought the sleep feature only worked when hooked to a PC and was part of the PC functionality? Or, I was thinking the sleep feature was part of the built in software on the hard drive which gets wiped out when you initialize it to work with the 722?

They will, my newer drives I remove all the sw from to keep from going to sleep... I forgot on one and if left plugged it I will get the "you have an external hard drive connected" message occasionally when it wakes up...

Good to know that.

I leave my MyBook connected all the time. It's internal green drive is fairly aggressive about going to sleep. But it wakes up again automatically when the receiver needs it.

I leave it on 24/7. No problems yet. But I keep it in a well ventilated area.. Heat is the killer to hard drives..

I leave all of mine plugged in all the time. On my 922 that is 3 drives (in a hub), on my 722k that is 1 drive and on my 211k a single drive. They have been running for various lengths of time, with the oldest being a couple years. No issues so far. I'm sure they will fail in time, but with multiple drives I won't lose that much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)