Do you like to listen to your local Sports Radio Station?

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
conn.
Here in Connecticut, the only 2 stations that I think cover sports is ESPN 1050 out of New York and WFAN 660 out of New York. I really like WFAN and listen to them regularly. What are some of your local sports radio stations in your area? Do you like them or dislike them?

First my apologies to sport fans who may take offense. While I may watchone or two professional sports events per year, for example the World Series orthe Super Bowl, I do not find the discussion of sports interesting on theradio. I do not listen to local or foreign (via short wave) "Sports Radio Station".

WTAM 1100 and WKNR 850 out of Cleveland. The local guys are mostly hacks and uninteresting, but there isn't much else as an alternative to gauge the local take on sports.

Here in Connecticut, the only 2 stations that I think cover sports is ESPN 1050 out of New York and WFAN 660 out of New York. I really like WFAN and listen to them regularly. What are some of your local sports radio stations in your area? Do you like them or dislike them?
You're forgetting ESPN 1410 out of Hartford...

WEEI 850 AM ruled the sports roost for years here in Boston, but now they have serious competition with 98.5 FM-The Sports Hub.

Basically it comes down to this: for everything Red Sox and Celtics I prefer WEEI, and for everything Patriots and Bruins I prefer the Sports Hub. I don't think it's a coincidence that the flagships for the respective teams are the same.

Last edited:
2 full time sports stations in Minneapolis (KFAN 1130 & KSTP 1500)
1 part time sports (WCCO 830)

other than the actual sports I dont listen to them much. Hard to listen to Twins at night on 1500 with so much interference. Try and listen to them locally on 1350 KCHK. Vikes on KFAN & KTLK 100.3 so I usually listen to the FM side. Wild were on CCO which is a "clear channel" station (50kw all the time) :)

But coming up the landscape has changed here
Twins & Gophers on 1500 (Goofs were on 830/1570/95.3 depending on other sports)
Wild now on 1130 (were on 830) and Wolfies are on 830

so I'll listen to 1130 more since they have the Wild

What bugs me is the Twins. In most of the outstate MN they are on FM which is nice....AM sucks in the Minneapolis area at night.

97.1 "The Ticket" here in Michgian, we also have another sports station on the AM Dial 1130 The fan, wish they would move to the FM side

I love Sports but I can't stand listening to Sports Radio Talk. Most of the callers that call in take sports too seriously. Last year I drove from Florida to Maine for a month vacation . I did listen to Sports radio then but found it boring. I will listen to a game on the radio but only if I don't have another option.

I use to listen to WJR 760 for Sports, till the Tigers left WJR, then they were moved to stations that are hit and miss here.
Locally, we have 1470 the Ticket, but depending on where you are on the road in town, usually its hard to hear as well.

Because of the lack of being able to get my Sports Locally, I went to XM radio.

ESPN Radio for:
I now Listen to Mike and Mike, unless it's the time of year (now) that the NBA is all they talk about.
I really liked Dan Patrick and Rob Dibble.

When M&M are talking basketball, I now have changed to MLB Baseball channel on XM.
Also listen to NASCAR radio ...

At one time I had moved away from out local sports when Steve Zaiben was on Fox sports on xm in the mornings. I really enjoyed that show, but a couple years ago fox dropped the show

WEEI 850 AM ruled the sports roost for years here in Boston, but now they have serious competition with 98.5 FM-The Sports Hub.

Basically it comes down to this: for everything Red Sox and Celtics I prefer WEEI, and for everything Patriots and Bruins I prefer the Sports Hub. I don't think it's a coincidence that the flagships for the respective teams are the same.

I can no longer listen to WEEI after the the break up of Dale and Holley. Mut and Merloni is garbage. I like Holley a lot, but he and Ordway have no chemistry.

Although I share the political persuasion as Gerry Callahan, he hyppocracy and self righteousness are getting really tired, T&R just seems like a fun show.

Although I share the political persuasion as Gerry Callahan, he hyppocracy and self righteousness are getting really tired, T&R just seems like a fun show.

I too lean towards Callahan's politics, but I agree he is VERY self-righteous! Toucher and Rich are outstanding, as is Felger (I couldn't stand him when he was a fill-in on WEEI).

I live in a small town. The local sports talk is awful. Centered on the non-alumni delusional fans of one college. Nonsense.

First my apologies to sport fans who may take offense. While I may watchone or two professional sports events per year, for example the World Series orthe Super Bowl, I do not find the discussion of sports interesting on theradio. I do not listen to local or foreign (via short wave) "Sports Radio Station".

Nothing wrong with that. To each his own.

A lot of people like watching CNN or Fox News. Not me, I pass.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts