Do you listen to AM Radio???

Do you listen to AM Radio?

• Never...What is AM radio?

Votes: 18 14.4%
  • A little bit...maybe for a local sports team or a talk show

Votes: 55 44.0%
  • A fair amount...Radio is on AM more than FM

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • All the time...You mean there is options other than AM??

Votes: 19 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.
BJ I listen to the aircraft band on my scanner here too, lately just got re-interested in it and bought an outdoor scanner antenna which helps a lot. I used to have a Panasonic AM-FM little boombox, and when it was on 105FM, it would pick up airplanes passing by-never understood that one but it got me interested in listening to the aircraft band!

BJ I listen to the aircraft band on my scanner here too, lately just got re-interested in it and bought an outdoor scanner antenna which helps a lot. I used to have a Panasonic AM-FM little boombox, and when it was on 105FM, it would pick up airplanes passing by-never understood that one but it got me interested in listening to the aircraft band!

105.1 Mhz + 10.7 IF = 115.8 Mhz

Probably a image beating with the receiver's IF, AM still can get through if there isn't a lot of filtering in the front end. Especially when in close proximity to the planes. Maybe the incoming landing frequency for the airport was around 115.8.

There is nothing finer than to tune in to your local sports play-by-play station (mines AM) and watch the game on TV. I used to do this when both were OTA. When cable came along, the radio became a spoiler because it would announce the event slightly before it happened on TV. Well when satellite was my only choice, the situation was impossible, the TV delay or "latency" was so great I had no idea where I was in the game. So I was resigned to listen to the TV announcers who were very well versed in "both coast" teams, sometimes I wasn't sure my team had even showed up. I lived with this for a while, then it was time to act. I have an E.E. friend and went to him with this problem. He started R&D and I went looking for $, about this time another friend showed me article about a co. that had already breached the market with this very similar product. I was very discouraged at first but then I figured these guys had built what I wanted and saved me big $ in development. I also took console in the fact that I actually came up with an marketable idea but alas no timing. I couldn't wait to get my hands on one and since I did I've been very happy. The only problem now is I have to catch the game live, no "dvring", is that a word yet? anyway I think I have found the solution to the last problem. http://www.delayplay.com/ C. Crane Company - CC Witness - Toll Free (800) 522-8863 P.S. I have no vested intrest but to inform

Last edited:
I used to listen to a lot of AM radio during the night to try to listen to espn or snr, etc. But my local market now has Fox sports radio AND espn radio on strong FM stations!! So I don't listen to AM nearly as often as I would in other locales.

I enjoy listening to AM radio for local news and sports. In addition I like the DXing capabilities that AM radio offers, I've heard stations several hundred kilometres away during the evenings.

A little bit...

WWL "The voice of the Gulf South" if I'm out and about in the car while the Saints are playing :) ...

Most of my car radio listening is via FM radio though.

Maybe one of those images from 2x the 10.7Mz IF?
I used to listen to 255.4 which is a FSS freq that military planes use to tell ATC when they're going to come up the route over my house, and for some reason, every time F-15s would come this way, I'd hear rock music coming over the FSS frequency all distorted. Only thing I could figure was that their signal, which was somewhere around 300 MHz, was mixing with the broadcast signal somehow as they passed over the broadcast antenna. Never figured that one out, but it was always a good sign that some planes were coming. I got a lot of pictures of the planes. vr840

I never listen to the radio at home, but when I am commuting to work, I listen.

I have five stations that I listen to. Three FM stations for traveling music (one oldies, one classic hard rock and roll and one older country music) and two AM stations, one for news and talk and one for music and weather reports.

I like Coast to Coast AM on 1110 KFAB at night. This used to be excellent about 12 years ago when Art Bell was on, but I still listen to it now. It is entertainment for me, I don't buy UFO and conspiracy stuff, but I like the call-ins and especially Ghost-to-Ghost around Halloween. On Sundays, they broadcast DIY shows for gardening, tree and plant care and computer use as well as some hunting or fishing segments from time to time.

Mostly, I listen to AM for news and weather and FM for music.

RADAR

About a year ago, I was a security supervisor at a small college. I spent a lot of time patrolling the grounds. I listened to AM talk shows more than FM music.

All of my listening is either iPod or streaming. The transition of most local stations to just be repeaters for national feeds have made them linear dinosaurs in my "on demand" world! The moronic morning shows during my drive time are simply mind numbing chatter. iphone apps and TV station websites provide local traffic, weather and sports reports. VLC or Sling provide programming from multiple TV receivers to my iPhone or work computer for listening or viewing programming that I cannot find streaming.

On several occasions we have had major local situations such as a power outage, storm or police situation during the mid day. I attempted to find information on both AM and FM. Not a single source of local live news on either band. All stations were on their automated national feeds or recorded local loops without any live insertions.

Local radio has become niche and disconnected from their audience. A few weeks ago I was talking with my college-age daughter about her and her friends media habits. I am convinced that we will see all but near extinction of linear delivery during the next 20 or less years. AM/FM radios and TVs are not being used by the younger generations. Car stereos are merely amplifiers for their iPods. TVU, Netflix and TVU are their TVs, and I thought that it was just me!

Yes, it is nice to be spoon fed, occasionally..... :D

On several occasions we have had major local situations such as a power outage, storm or police situation during the mid day. I attempted to find information on both AM and FM. Not a single source of local live news on either band. All stations were on their automated national feeds or recorded local loops without any live insertions.

I think you nailed the big issue with AM radio, at least for me. The reason I love WLW from Cincinnati so much is because they actually still have their own 24 hour news team. They do live local news at least two times every hour, with additional news break ins if needed. Combine that with their simply excellent dedication and coverage to the Cincinnati Reds, and there's almost nothing else I listen to (at least when I lived in Cincinnati).

The only problem now is that my VW Jetta has a simply AWFUL AM radio. I guess those Germans don't care much for DXing AM Radio. My Jeep Wrangler with its original Chrysler radio tunes in WLW from Cleveland during the day without any issues.

I think you nailed the big issue with AM radio, at least for me. The reason I love WLW from Cincinnati so much is because they actually still have their own 24 hour news team. They do live local news at least two times every hour, with additional news break ins if needed. Combine that with their simply excellent dedication and coverage to the Cincinnati Reds, and there's almost nothing else I listen to (at least when I lived in Cincinnati).

The only problem now is that my VW Jetta has a simply AWFUL AM radio. I guess those Germans don't care much for DXing AM Radio. My Jeep Wrangler with its original Chrysler radio tunes in WLW from Cleveland during the day without any issues.

Its been harder to receive WLW during the day in a lot of Ohio outside Cincy/Dayton/Columbus areas..I think WTAM-1100 really missed the boat over the years in not maintaining more of a local 24/7 schedule..They could have been WLW North.

Its been harder to receive WLW during the day in a lot of Ohio outside Cincy/Dayton/Columbus areas..I think WTAM-1100 really missed the boat over the years in not maintaining more of a local 24/7 schedule..They could have been WLW North.

You're definitely right about that, about missing the boat. As a ClearChannel sister station, they even use 'The Big One' tag line. Coupled with a lack of local news, they also air undesireable national talk shows. While some would argue that Rush or Glenn are better than the personalities on WLW...at least they are local. I do enjoy Mike Trivisonno on WTAM though. I just hope AM Talk will be around for years to come.

Pretty simple question...do you listen to AM Radio?

Only in the car and only one station (1100) for local sports and talk shows.

Also road construction alerts! ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)