Do you listen to AM Radio???

Do you listen to AM Radio?

• Never...What is AM radio?

Votes: 18 14.4%
  • A little bit...maybe for a local sports team or a talk show

Votes: 55 44.0%
  • A fair amount...Radio is on AM more than FM

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • All the time...You mean there is options other than AM??

Votes: 19 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Remember I said I was a bit "biased?" AM in small communities IS their radio!

And..... in a small town in West Michigan.... in only THREE days, our station, AM 1430 WION raised 8,101 lbs of food in a "guilt free" food drive. We don't go to stores, we DON'T get sponsors to pay us, we use volunteers, a borrowed RV from a local dealer, and collect all over out county, taking all our shows "on the road" in the mobile studio, dubbed the "Food-V."

I've always disliked the uneasy feeling of any kind of collections outside the doors of food stores, because it's human nature to wonder what the other party is thinking if you don't contribute. (Even if you already DID contribute there, or elsewhere...its always awkward. This way, anyone who WANTS to give can step in, visit, and leave with a polite "thank you.")

Volunteers sort, and the agencies themselves lend labor to haul and to distribute. To me, 8,101 lbs in 3 days is a HUGE accomplishment for a small AM with a staff of only 3, and support staff/friends making it all happen. That's just what we did, and the amount of food we distributed this morning.

Radio CAN make a difference. Each year, we open up the application to up to 10 agencies serving our county, we don't choose them. They choose to respond. Seven applied this year, Seven shared in the labor to sort and help load the food for each other's agencies, too. Apparenly in Ionia County, Michigan...people DO listen to AM. I am both grateful, and blessed!

We're trying to figure out how to get the same results in a "summer" food drive. Fingers crossed, for future food-drive successes, and that in time, we don't need to do as many of these! (We hope for better days for everyone.)

Attachments

• DSC06888.JPG
    DSC06888.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 120
  • JPEG.jpg
    JPEG.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 93
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)