Do you listen to AM Radio???

Do you listen to AM Radio?

• Never...What is AM radio?

Votes: 18 14.4%
  • A little bit...maybe for a local sports team or a talk show

Votes: 55 44.0%
  • A fair amount...Radio is on AM more than FM

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • All the time...You mean there is options other than AM??

Votes: 19 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Good grief, how did I miss this thread the first time?!??

I grew up listening to AM radio, and now I work for a small network of AM stations in the midwest.

I listen all over in the middle of the winter, from CBC on 540/990 to CFZM 740 in Toronto (something of a nostalgia format), WCCO 830 here in Minnesota (Tommy Mischke @ 10pm = best AM radio out there), and anything else I can pick up on skywave. WSM out of Nashville gets a spot on my dial, even thought I'm not a big country fan, but classic country has sounds good on AM.

Ice, 990 out of Winnipeg might not sound as good in this area because KKMS is on 980 right in southern TC metro. That kills it for me most of the time, although it's much better once I get an hour outside of 494/694.

Ice, 990 out of Winnipeg might not sound as good in this area because KKMS is on 980 right in southern TC metro. That kills it for me most of the time, although it's much better once I get an hour outside of 494/694.

I goofed in my original posting in January...I listen to the CBC up at the lake house (on Mille Lacs). At night that is when AM Radio really shows as there arent that many AM stations up there and we're away from everything so the reception is awesome :)

early AM

Going back a few decades, I do remember AM.
But, as a kid growing up in Florida, my folks listened to an FM radio in the evening.
There was no local TV station at the time.

From Cub Scouts books, a story-telling uncle, or somewhere, I got interested in crystal radios (AM).
Seem to remember building a few examples.... :confused:
Eventually, I found a construction project in Popular Mechanics (or some similar magazine), and built what could only be called a crystal radio with a one-transistor amplifier.
From Titusville Florida (just north of Cape Canaveral), I could hear AM stations up and down the eastern coast, and maybe Chicago.

A few years later, we got a local AM radio station in town. That killed all DXing.
My Mom got me a nice commercial crystal radio with Green Stamps. It was a toy.
It had an earpiece and fold-able antenna, and a plastic case about the size of a box of kitchen matches.
Seemed to get outstanding reception of the station no more than 10 miles away. - :cool:

Now days, I only use AM for occasional road reports.

In L.A., the FM band has a station on every channel.
Many have gone Spanish, talk, or crap. A very few decent R&R stations remain.

So now, I listen mostly to home-made mix CDs in the car.

Other than listening to 700-WLW on the way in for the news, I never listen to AM. Even in Cincinnati not much on AM....a couple of 5KW stations around and then the real puny ones.....WCKY is another 50KW sports I think....I think AM is going to have to do something to survive another 10-20 years. My grown children couldn't name one AM station if I ask them too As a teenager I used to ride my bike out to what was the country, to WLW's tower and you could see VOA's setup close by too.....blind

Ha! I thought the poll was broken, then I noticed that it was closed. I missed this poll too when it was first started.

I have four radio stations here that I feel are worth listening to depending on time of day and which days.

AM in the morning and weekends.
FM Public Radio from 9AM to 12 PM
FM rock any other time.

Late at night, Internet Radio - KCRW Morning Become Eclectic - playback the early morning recordings. Great while doing artwork and other hobbies at the desk. :popcorn

Going back a few decades, I do remember AM.
But, as a kid growing up in Florida, my folks listened to an FM radio in the evening.
There was no local TV station at the time.

From Cub Scouts books, a story-telling uncle, or somewhere, I got interested in crystal radios (AM).
Seem to remember building a few examples.... :confused:
Eventually, I found a construction project in Popular Mechanics (or some similar magazine), and built what could only be called a crystal radio with a one-transistor amplifier.
From Titusville Florida (just north of Cape Canaveral), I could hear AM stations up and down the eastern coast, and maybe Chicago.

A few years later, we got a local AM radio station in town. That killed all DXing.
My Mom got me a nice commercial crystal radio with Green Stamps. It was a toy.
It had an earpiece and fold-able antenna, and a plastic case about the size of a box of kitchen matches.
Seemed to get outstanding reception of the station no more than 10 miles away. - :cool:

Now days, I only use AM for occasional road reports.

In L.A., the FM band has a station on every channel.
Many have gone Spanish, talk, or crap. A very few decent R&R stations remain.

So now, I listen mostly to home-made mix CDs in the car.

Anole:

Check out this website on crystal radios:

new-home

I was DX-ing the broadcast band last night and was surprised to see this thread restarted.
mikelib

I am a radio person. I use to listen to shortwave and AM is always part of my life.
Last summer at a garage sale I picked up an old Panasonic ac/dc portable radio for $2. It is my best radio for listening to distant AM stations. Very sensitive tuner. Anywhere I go with this radio and a set of batteries I will find a lot to listen to. I can live without tv but I cannot live without radio.
Now I am waiting for internet radio to go mainstream.

I've been listening to the local High school football games going & coming from work as the FM station doesn't carry anymore... Years ago listened to KOMA when it played good rock and roll & also XROCK 80 way back when... rarely listen to FM either...

I used to listen to KOMA back when it was oldies in the late 80s and 90s. My family and I used to listen on the way back from Sioux Falls, SD to NW Iowa, alternating between that and local KELO-AM and their Saturday night request oldies show. It was the perfect way to get into oldies music, and even helps out at the job now and then :)

Is anyone doing this kind of thing on clear-channel stations anymore?

I listen to 740 AM, Toronto, every evening. Great old music and love the old tyme radio shows. Occasionally I'll tune in 900 AM, Hamilton, Ontario. By the way, I'm in east central Pennsylvania.

My primary receiver for AM is a 1940 Zenith 8-S-463 floor console (restored) but I currently have 5 pre-WWII consoles, 5 pre-WWII table tops, 5 portables (tube), and 3 shortwave receivers (tube) in the room. My primary SW receiver is a 1949 Hallicrafters S-40A.

Agreed on the "How did I miss this?" since I've been on this discussion board, but...now that its found,

I OWN AM radio and FM. So, I'm biased, but...those of you who "never" listen or "seldom" listen might just want to try your local(s) again. The scales are turning back to more small ownership as the big names in broadcasting burn their bridges with bankruptcies, firings, and angry stock-holders. Local stations often have more variety, more options in programming, and some very interesting programs!

We put an AM back on the air in West Central Michigan in 2004 and have a fantastic following with what used to be known as "full service" broadcasting of music, news, sports, information, and feature programs. And, by the way, many AM's now are allowed to buy what are called "FM translators" and re-broadcasti 100 percent identical signal on FM as AM. Some "daytimers" even now with FM translators are on the "exception to the rule" at the FCC and allowed to continue broadcasting on the translator after dark. We were lucky enough to grab a translator way below market value and now have an FM option for our AM programming, but the AM IS the programming source and always will-be.

Localism LIVES on many AM stations, and there's no better communications for a community than a locally-owned and live-operated AM station, especially in emergencies.

NO radio is like it was in the 1970's. But, many DO stream, and you may not know it, but many VIZIO TV sets, and the ROKU box now pick up streaming radio as an option...so, when you find a good, local streaming AM...take it along with you...on your TV...and many times..on your wireless phone, too!

Interesting thread. Hope it gets revived a bit more.

And, thanks to the moderators for running a board which is polite where opinions are respected, even when different. Some are not that way.

i just baught a sony hd radio i put that little antenna that came with it outside the window, i thought it would light up at night,it does not work well,the fm is hooked to an ota antenna and work great,local wbal and wmal multicast hd 2 and 4

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts