Do you use Broadband or Dial-up?

rtt2

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
I am curious if the people on this site use Broadband (DSL, Cable Modem, Satellite, Wireless) or Dial-up connections? This is for your home connection NOT WORK.

If you do use dial-up is there a reason; is it not available because you are rural etc OR do you not feel the need to upgrade.

Geeke19

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 30, 2005
dialup only thng if I could get cable or dsl I jump on it in a heart beat. Gotta wait until SEP to get wildblue cause theres not a installer/dealer in my area as of yet.

rcwilcox

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 30, 2004
broadband

DSL here more dependable than cable. Though my power went out in a hurricane DSL stayed up and working(UPS at this end)

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
at home....no internet (cable not available and I cancelled my landline)
work (where most posting is)....T1 connection :)

where i am now...dial up (dad's cheap)

MikeI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 25, 2004
Cable modem. Bought a new PC last year and upgraded from AOL (which I had for 10 years going back to 2.0) to the COX Cable Internet. I recommend it if anyone can get it. For me, it's cheaper with the phone then it was to have AOL and the phone seperate when you add in callwave features, paying AOL by CC, higher Pac Bell/SC charges. :)

datwell

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jul 25, 2004
Falls Church, VA
DSL. Verizon will only allow 768K for non-Verizon ISPs (I have Earthlink) but it's sufficient. Our cable company (Cox) offers faster, but they won't lease to other ISPs and the wife and I don't want to change our email addresses if we don't have to and Cox is the pits anyway.

da Doug

korsjs

Welcome To SatelliteGuys
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2004
Land O Lakes, FL
cdru said:
Same boat here...but I'm going to have to wait a little longer for FIOS. Ask again later in the year.

what area are you in? i talked to the tampa people 2 weeks ago and they said it was not available yet. two days later i checked on the internet and it was available. good timing on my part.

post 2000

rad

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
Currently DSL. I've had POTS dial up, ISDN, wireless from two different companies and cable. One of the two wireless services that I had was the most reliable but the wife didn't like the BIG antenna on the roof, DSL has been the next best then cable. Last time I gave Comcast cable a try it was down for three of the five days I had it.

Derwin0

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
cable, but may change when I move next month. New house is in Alephia territory (soon to be comcast), so not sure if I'll stay Cable or go Verizon DSL.

cdru

Just another yahoo
Supporting Founder
Dec 4, 2003
Fort Wayne, Indiana
jssat said:
What does FIOS stand for? Where do I learn more about it?
Fiber Internet Optical Service. It's Verizon's name for Fiber To the Premises, or FTTP. Right now Verizon is the only ones that are deploying it widespread. Basically it's a passive fiber optic network right up to your house. Currently it is data and voice only, but TV is coming down the pike soon as well. Data speeds are 5/2mbits for $40, 15/2mbits for $50, and 30/5mbits for $179 I believe.

If you don't live in a Verizon serviced area, you aren't going to get FIOS. There are other telcos, such as SBC, which are in the beginning stages of rolling out other technologies that are similar. SBC has FTTN, or Fiber To The Node which is kind of similar to cable's hybrid networks. Fiber gets it to your backyard, but then your existing copper phone lines carry a VDSL signal into your home.

The best place probably for FIOS information is the FIOS forum over at DSLReports. There are active deployments all over the place. Major areas are NYC, Tampa, DFW Metroplex, and parts of PA, but its by no means limited to just those areas. My area, Fort Wayne Indiana got started about a month ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)