Do you use Broadband or Dial-up?

Was dial up when I live at Dallas, then moved to here at Plano, where verizon cable, but I really don't like it as they wanted me to subscribe the cable service before lower the internet rate. Internet along cost much higher the DLS. So I picked DSL from SBC but waited more then two months before able to get it. Its much much faster then dial up and I am looking forward to the fios in the future.

I wonder if the fact that some of the people who are underserved by broadband affect their choice of video provider? I mean what would their propensity to switch if there was another option like cable.
Satellite seems to have a captive market of the people who are on dial-up and really does not have to worry or compete much for these customers.

Dail-up. Rural area, should have wireless available by late Fall but still don't know if I'll switch. Don't use Internet that much at home and I'm only paying $6.25 per month now.

NightRyder

I just moved to a rural area and I was frantic when I couldn't find a broadband option...You couldn't not pay me to go back to dial-up. Luckily I found a wireless solution with a 1 meg download...

We just switched from Time/Warner cablemodem to SBC DSL. The issue was that while TWC was faster than our current DSL (about 2.3 mb versus 1.9 or so), TWC tended to drop to ZERO about once every couple of hours. While surfing, that's no big deal. But I'm streaming audio over the net and my streams would die.

The DSL while slower, is much more stable and consistent.

Like everybody else, started with dial up, then when Qwest offered DSL to my house just outside the city limits, I jump on that, then moved out of the that house after 3 months. Now we live in the city limits and using broadband cable. I don't see much different in the speed between DSL and cable, but with the DSL that Qwest offered, I was stuck with a modem that would not allow networking. Cable allows networking...

Fios

jssat said:
What does FIOS stand for? Where do I learn more about it?

http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome/channels/Fios/HighSpeedInternetForHome.asp?LOBCode=C&PromoTCode=FIOhp&PromoSrcCode=L&POEId=TL1HP

http://www22.verizon.com/fiosforhome/channels/fios/root/package.asp

Fiber Optic lines right to your house. They will have 3 tiers: for $39.95 up to 5mbps/2mbps; for $49.95 (best value) up to 15mbps/2mbps; and for a riddiculous $199.95 up to 30 mbps/5mbps.
Not just internet but television as well. Verizon is laying lines night and day and procurring TV rights as well. They are talking about affordable High Def TV over the phone line. SBC is doing too (I think right?)
Wayne

Iceberg said:
at home....no internet (cable not available and I cancelled my landline)
work (where most posting is)....T1 connection :)

where i am now...dial up (dad's cheap)

Iceberg, we can help you setup broadband via satellite for your home if you wish. Sadoun will be offering this service soon (private labeled - it is not going to be DirecWay or WildBlue). It will actually be affordable and easy to setup. Your dad may even consider it :D

We will make an announcement when we have it ready.

i use dsl. it's like 1200kbps but it's consistent. it doesn't go out when there's a storm because a fuse in a node blew, and it doesn't slow down at peak hours like a cable modem. (i know i know, they don't do that anymore right? :D )

I pay like 21$ a month, cable'd be 40$. it'd be much faster, but i just tool around on the internet so i don't need faster. if all you do is read message boards, the news, ect there's no point in paying more. i don't download music or movies. i'd be too afraid metallica might sue me.

I use Earthlink through cable...which I am very happy with. I cant see myself changing anytime soon. The speed is really top notch. It really depends on what you use the internet for....if you download alot of huge files cable is the way to go.

Stargazer said:
That web browser accelerator software really helps the speed of web browsing. HUGE difference on dialup.

And eats up hardrive space... though these days that's not as important, huh ;)

I use DSL. Done the dial-up then cable internet thing. I think I prefer DSL... steady bandwidth, cheap price.... best upstream I've ever had :)

SBC Yahoo DSL for me. $29.99/month for 3.0Mbps. I had cable internet for several years and had constant outages thanks to the morons running Cox Crapmunications. In nine months with SBC, not one single service interruption (even when my city forced SBC to move it's lines and equipment along a 3-mile stretch of road two blocks away for expansion purposes).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)