Do you wear glasses or contacts or don't you?

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Don't interpret this as bragging because all I'm doing is putting my two cents in, but I have above average vision and I see like an owl. The only issue I have with my eyes are a couple floaters that 99% of the time don't even realize are there. The only glasses I have are my 3D glasses for my 3D TV. How about you guys?

I'm near sighted and wear glasses for everything other than reading. Wore contacts for many years but switched back to glasses when I needed bifocals. Tried many different contact solutions for bifocals but never found one I was comfortable with.

Reactions: TheKrell
I have worn glasses for nearsightedness since 3rd grade. I am now 71. Four years ago I had cataract surgery and it corrected my distance vision to 20/20 but I now need glasses to read. I tried doing without the glasses for driving and daily activities but went back to progressive lenses.

Hated the idea of having to look for glasses to read. It drives me nuts every time I want to show my wife something and she has to go find her glasses. She has hard contacts but needs reading glasses.

I cannot count how much time we have waisted over the years looking for contacts she has dropped or lost. She constantly has issues when the wind blows dirt in her eyes and we have to drop everything so she can clean them.

I have looked for lost contacts on mountain passes all over Colorado and Wyoming when she popped them out to clean them and then dropped them. I remember thirty minutes crawling on the floor of a woman's restroom at a rest area in Kansas looking for a lost contact that we found later had dropped into her purse.

I am so used to wearing glasses all these years that it just does not feel right not to wear them all the time.

Near sighted, glasses since 8, graduated to progressives at 48, I really hate them.

None right now. I have been waiting 14 months for them to do my cataract surgery. 2 weeks to go, yay.

Why does it take so long for any medical procedure these days. I mean, really, 14 months from diagnosis to surgery?

I didn’t know you could still get hard contacts. I’ve worn glasses since early grammar school. Switched to soft contacts in 1977. Now have bifocal contacts and bifocal glasses and still need reading glasses with the bifocal contacts. I have a few years before my expected cataract surgery.

Remember the days of little heaters to clean contacts, and the need for distilled water?

SWMBO hates contacts and refuses to wear them.

I am severely nearsighted with my uncorrected vision about 20/500. In addition, I have an eye condition called Kerataconus in my right eye which means the cornea covering the eye comes to a cone shaped point rather than being curved. I have had 4 cornea transplants over the years from deceased donors. I have worn contacts since 1964 because my vision can't be properly corrected with glasses. Only hard contact lenses work because they must press the cornea bulge as flat as possible. I wear the most common type of hard contact lenses still on the market called Ridgid Gas Permeable (RPG) lemses which allow gasses to pass through the soft plastic. It's a hassle to deal with but worth it to be able to have decent eyesight.

• Sad
RGP lenses were my first way back when.... Could never get used to them, gave up within a month. Soft lenses were the ticket for me. It was really hard at first to get used to sticking things on your eyeball.

Myopic, glasses 1969-1980, soft contacts since. The soft contacts were pretty bad back when I started, but have continued to technically advance, including multifocals that reduce needs for cheaters. I have floaters, but they really have little to do with essential vision and everyone can be expected to get them just like presbyopia. Had considered LASIK but didn't have the bucks (and still had a couple questions in back of mind about it), and now I'm getting a cataract, for which they tell me the fix will bring to 20/20, so if I'm now eventually going to have cataracts done, I'm no longer a candidate for LASIK anyway. Age 63.

At 36 I finally gave in and admitted I needed help reading, and opted for progressive lenses so I wouldn't have to do the eyeglass shuffle routine to read. At 68 when I had my cataracts removed, I was given the option of either near or far vision lens implants. I chose far on the theory that as long as I could see well to drive, I could always get to a store for a pair of reading "cheaters" if something happened to my progressives.

Reactions: Bobby and navychop
At 36 I finally gave in and admitted I needed help reading, and opted for progressive lenses so I wouldn't have to do the eyeglass shuffle routine to read. At 68 when I had my cataracts removed, I was given the option of either near or far vision lens implants. I chose far on the theory that as long as I could see well to drive, I could always get to a store for a pair of reading "cheaters" if something happened to my progressives.
Did they also offer monovision, where they do one eye one way & the other the other?

Yes, but friends that had it done were not happy with the results so I opted out. One even had one side redone a year or so later to correct the problems he had.
Think I'm with you, want my distance and depth perception if at all possible. Has anyone heard of lanosterol for cataract mitigation? It's sold for use in pet animals and was featured on NPR a few years ago as a possible treatment. But it doesn't seem to work the same in people and there's doubt it can actually get inside to the lens.

Reactions: NYDutch
Think I'm with you, want my distance and depth perception if at all possible. Has anyone heard of lanosterol for cataract mitigation? It's sold for use in pet animals and was featured on NPR a few years ago as a possible treatment. But it doesn't seem to work the same in people and there's doubt it can actually get inside to the lens.
I got unintended Monovision with my Lasik. It took two years + to get used to it. It's great now, but not perfect. Though it sure beats regular glasses, plus my astigmatism in both eyes was 1/2 the regular prescription!

-4.25~ in each eye, with -2.25 astigmatism. Now, I'm about 20/100 in the left eye, and 20/30 in the right. Unfortunately, the LEFT eye used to be my dominant eye, yet ended up a bit under-corrected. That threw things off for a long time, as my eyes kept switching dominance until they settled down.

All I can say, is that for ANYBODY that thinks they want Monovision lenses with cataract surgery, they should INSIST that the doctor test it with Monovision contact lens prescription for a period of time beforehand. That way you can get some idea if you can handle it, before it becomes a permanent implant.

Reactions: TheKrell and Bobby