Do you wear glasses or contacts or don't you?

I am far sighted and need reading glasses -- usually 3.0 strength.

I struggled with the decision over whether to get LASIK for weeks. Finally decided that I was willing to do it.

Then when I got to the optometrist appointment I asked about LASIK and the optometrist immediately responded "You're too old". I was around 61 then and now I'm 65.

In a way I was relieved about not being eligible. I understand that vision changes too quickly for old people and LASIK is not recommended over a certain age.

Fortunately my long distance vision is still good enough not to require glasses. I just use reading glasses for up close.

And oddly enough, I see much better with cheap drug store reading glasses than the prescription ones. That's a good thing because I break or lose them so often it would be REAL expensive if I was dependent on prescription glasses!

I'm nearsighted and wore glasses from the age of 8 to 28. I've worn contacts since then, the RGP type. I started losing my reading vision about when I was 45, so my optometrist suggested I try monovision, a reading lens in one eye and a distance one in the other. It works great for me. I never have to wear any sort of corrective glasses.

I am far sighted and need reading glasses -- usually 3.0 strength.

I struggled with the decision over whether to get LASIK for weeks. Finally decided that I was willing to do it.

Then when I got to the optometrist appointment I asked about LASIK and the optometrist immediately responded "You're too old". I was around 61 then and now I'm 65.

In a way I was relieved about not being eligible. I understand that vision changes too quickly for old people and LASIK is not recommended over a certain age.

Fortunately my long distance vision is still good enough not to require glasses. I just use reading glasses for up close.

And oddly enough, I see much better with cheap drug store reading glasses than the prescription ones. That's a good thing because I break or lose them so often it would be REAL expensive if I was dependent on prescription glasses!
Basic cheaters are very effective.

This is not a great endorsement for LASIK in that even if you're younger the degree of correction is inevitably going to degrade as you age and the change in shape of the eye naturally accelerates.

Reactions: TheKrell
Nearsighted here. Been that way since I was in first grade.

Got the "coke bottle" glasses, and went to soft contacts i think around 6th grade. My eyes leveled out in my late teens at a -10.00 prescription, although now, I think they are a step worse. I do have an appointment soon to get rechecked.

Basically cant see crap over about 10 inches from my face without correction. Eye exams typically go, "read the lowest line of the chart."

"What chart"

"The one on the wall."

"What wall?"

Nearsighted here. Been that way since I was in first grade.

Got the "coke bottle" glasses, and went to soft contacts i think around 6th grade. My eyes leveled out in my late teens at a -10.00 prescription, although now, I think they are a step worse. I do have an appointment soon to get rechecked.

Basically cant see crap over about 10 inches from my face without correction. Eye exams typically go, "read the lowest line of the chart."
That's even worse than my eyes! With one eye I can see just the top line and not even that with the other.

Got the "coke bottle" glasses, and went to soft contacts i think around 6th grade. My eyes leveled out in my late teens at a -10.00 prescription,
At one point many years ago, one of my eyes was -11 diopters. As I aged, both eyes have improved greatly and now I'm about -8.

Near-sighted here. Been wearing glasses since I was 19. Never tried contacts, eyes are too sensitive and start watering if I even think of putting something (besides occasional eye-drops) in them. Went to line bifocals at the age of 58 - like the line as I don't need to "hunt" for the bifocal area, it's right there, quick and easy to find and doesn't peter-out on the edges like progressives do (tried progressives, once).

One time, went in to get new lenses in my very comfortable frames and the guy took them in back and was gone for quite some time. When he came back out, he was apologizing for breaking my the left bow, said he was trying to straighten them out and the left one broke and he tried to fix it, but couldn't. I was incensed! I asked him, why the hell were you even messing with the bows? I had them exactly the way I wanted them and they were comfortable! You were just supposed to put in the new lenses, not mess with bows! At that point, a manager came out and asked what was going on and we took our turns explaining the issue and she turned to me and said "well, I can offer you 50% off new frames?" I told her, I don't want new frames, but obviously I'm going to need to get some. I asked her if they had frames with the solid, one-piece nose bridge (as I hate the kind with nose pads) and she told me no, they didn't carry that kind. That didn't help my attitude. Anyway, I got new frames, took them a week to redo the lenses, so I used an older pair I had and never went back to that place ever again...

• Sad
Reactions: Bobby

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts